cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't view iPad and iPhone screen horizontally since the 2.2 app came out.

SOLVED
Tinkerer

Can't view iPad and iPhone screen horizontally since the 2.2 app came out.

I can't view my iPad and iPhone screens horizontally since the 2.2 update came out. I can only view them vertically. This is old school. It is how a lot of apps used to work. I can view recordings horizontally. 

20 REPLIES 20
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can't view iPad and iPhone screen horizontally since the 2.2 app came out.

Thank you for posting this under the bug reports portion of our community page. I am with technical support for Iris by Lowe’s. Our development team has been made aware of this issue and we are looking into it further.  

Thank you,

Erica

Iris by Lowe’s

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

The change between veritcal and horizontal was causing app compatiblity issues with a lot of our customers devices so as a short term solution we have taken horizontal view out of the mobile application unless for certain screens where it is required such as cameras.  Please keep an eye on future updates to verify if this resolves the issue.

Sincerely

Thomas

IRIS By Lowe's Support

855-469-4747

Tinkerer

Hello Thomas,

What kind of issues with the app? When did you take it out. It had to be when it was first released and before I installed it on April 27th because I noticed it right away. When I called support the person I talked to right after I installed it he said he  wasn't aware of this problem. I asked him to test it on his phone and he did and he told me he had the same issue. When I sent a message to Josh in Tier 2 about it this is the respose I received on April 28th. (Read his message below) Wouldn't Tier 2 know if the feature had been disabled and been able to tell me that instead of haveing to test it out for themselves like Josh said they did and then send their finding to the development team. Your response doesn't make sense to me. I would be willing to bet if I called your support team right now the person I talk to would tell me they were not aware of the issue, would appoligize to me a number of times like they are trained to do, and then tell me they sent this issue to the developement team and that someone would get back to me. I really don't think the support team is ever on the same page. It is like you don't ever talk to each other. Your best response is alway to either uninstall and reinstall the device or the app. It is always an experiment when I call for help.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for doing this. I will send the information up to development right away. As soon as they send me a response, I will contact you. I don't think they should need any additional information for now, but if they do I will give you a call to get any information they need.

As far as the app not rotating/turning horizontal, I did just test this in the apps on our lab phones, and we were able to reproduce it. One of our agents is doing some testing on it this afternoon, and we did also send this information up to development as well. I apologize for the inconvenience of this issue, but hopefully we have more information on this soon.

I will be out of the office after today until next Wednesday, so if I don't get any additional information before the end of the day today, it will most likely be someone else from our Diagnostics team reaching out to you once we have more information.

Thank you,

IRIS by Lowe's Support

Advanced Member

@support_tomk wrote:

Hello,

The change between veritcal and horizontal was causing app compatiblity issues with a lot of our customers devices so as a short term solution we have taken horizontal view out of the mobile application unless for certain screens where it is required such as cameras.  Please keep an eye on future updates to verify if this resolves the issue.

Sincerely

Thomas

IRIS By Lowe's Support

855-469-4747

If you have cameras on your system it requires landscape (horizontal) mode to view those no matter the device so this really means you cannot use the app on a stationary (mounted) device no matter the orientation.  Also the camera view always opens in landscape but upside down to the way I usually use my device (iOS with home button to the right) and I have to swivle it to portrait then back to landscape to correct that where most apps auto rotate to the way the user if holding the phone (or has the device mounted)

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

Thomas,

I'm not sure what device you are using but camera viewing does not rely on horizontal viewing only. I have five cameras on my system and everyone of them can be viewed vertically. If I tap the top right corner it will zoom in and take up the whole screen. I can also rotate it and it works in the horizontl position. You might want to gives this a try. If it doesn't work for you I would suggest that you uninstall your app and reinstall it.

What day and time was the horzontal mode taking out of the app and why didn't Josh and the Tier 2 group know about in on Friday April 28th?

Rookie

App version 2.2 worked properly on my iPad Pro from the day the new app was released. The new app did not have an horizontal issue. About one week ago the horizontal screen issue occurred for my iPad Pro. The screen image is rotated 90 degrees counter clock wise. At this moment, 5-4-17, I am not able view the screen horizontally. 

When streaming my cameras the screen view is upside down.

Advanced Member

@Indiana

Version 2.2 of the Iris app was just released last Thursday, at least in the iTunes store.  That may very well be the issue you are experiencing as well as the rest of us.

Tinkerer

I've talked to the support group and I was told that they took it out on purpose because it was causing a problem for some users. I can't figure out what that was. The new problem is a lot of people with an iPad have a case or a case with a keyboard and when you open it it sits on your desk horizontally. Now you have to hold your keyboard off to the side to view the app. When you want to view a recording then you have to turn it back horizontally to get the best view. This is a real pain in the **edited**. I used to just open up my iPad and tap the screen. Now I am picking it up and turning it back and forth. I don't think there is an app out there anymore that doesn't turn with your device until now. The new IRIS app has taken me back in history. Who thinks up stuff like this and who approves this kind off change to the system? I was told to post my problem here and that if enough people chimed in that they want the horizontal view that they might change it back. Really??? I don't think that most users even know that this site exist so I better not have very high hopes. 

Advanced Member

I have 2 other automation apps that also only run in portrait mode, so Iris is not alone.  I believe since these apps are intended primarily for phone use, they didn't have the foresight to enable landscape mode.  Iris was ahead of the game, at least while it lasted.