cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climate control in scene

SOLVED
Rookie

Climate control in scene

I called tech support twice and they can not figure it out.   I set a  scene,  when I touch Away; A/C turns up warmer, Alarm sets , and garage door opens.  Now when I return and touch, I'm Home, scene is to turn off alarm, return climate (a/c or heat) to schedule set.  System will not return climate to schedule.  When away runs it turns off scheduke to put in hold patern,  on return it does not return it to schedule.     One person on help after trying an hour told me it was working an they were changing it on there end when I watched the thermostate, to get off phone.  Second person admittd they did not know and put in request to programming ,  that was 3 weeks and I have heard nothing.

5 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Climate control in scene

Hello,

I apologize for the confusion regarding scenes and schedules, it can be a complicated process at times and I am hoping by the end of this message you will have a better understanding of how both work.  From what I am understanding in your post; you want to have a schedule in the system, be able to run a scene, and then when you end the scene have the device pick back up where it left off on the schedule.  If this is how you are attempting to use the thermostat, I apologize this is not how the system works.  When you set a schedule the system will follow that schedule so each time you have an event the thermostat will update to the temperature set in the IRIS platform.  Any manual changes, rules or scenes will over-ride this schedule and the thermostat will not return to the schedule until the next event.

To help explain I'll create an example scenerio, lets say I have a schedule set for 7 am to warm the house to 70 but at 9 pm want to lower the temperature to 65 while I sleep.  

I have an away scene to change the temperature to 75 while I'm gone, lock my doors and close my garage door.  I leave the house at 9 am, if I press to turn on the Away scene I over-ride the schedule that fired at 7 am instead of house being 70, the system will allow it to get up to 75 degrees before running running my home heating/cooling system.

I have a home scene  that will de-activate the thermostat, unlock my doors, and open my garage door.  If I press this scene to fire manually at 5 pm the thermostat will hold at the last command given it to it which was the scene, not the schedule.  It does not dynamically revert back to the schedule. The thermostat will change it's status again at 9 pm, per the schedule.  

If I do not arrive home again until after 9 pm and I turn the scene off the temperature will not change again until 7 am, the next time I have an event in the schedule, until the next schedule event the thermostat will need to be controlled manually either on the thermostat or on your mobile application.

I apoloigize if there was confusion regarding this if you have questions you are welcome to reply to this post or call our support team for further assistance.   

Sincerely 

Thomas

IRIS By Lowe's Support

855-469-4747

Rookie

Thomas;

What you have described is exctly how I see the sytem working.   Not what I call a smart home system...Actually rather old and antiquated.   It only seems logical on return home and run the home sene everything should revert to the way it was before you left ad=nd ran away. Lights go back to schedule, heat or a/c returns back to schedule etc.  Having to manualy adjust the thermostat when you return sort of defeaats the idea of smat control.  I had what I describe in my previous system an it was great and made life simple.  Now when I return home if it is late and I go to bed, the a/c has not adjusted and I have to get up and get my phone to adjust it.

Remember, as a programmer, IF you can think it, a coomputer can do it.  ad it only makes sence.

Alan

Frequent Contributor

Hello Alan,

I understand what you are attempting to accomplish.  I will forward your suggestion to our development team.  In the future if you have items you see that are not in the system you would like, you are welcome to post those in the feature suggestion portion of the community page, we welcome your feedback.

Sincerely

Thomas

IRIS By Lowe's Support

855-469-4747

Rookie

I have a climate scedule that controls heat 7 days per week at my vacation home. I also have 2 scenes created...Home and Away. Away sets heat to 50. Home runs my schedule (7am 68, 11am 66, 4 pm 68, 10 pm 62) . The issue is when iris is in away mode (set to 50) and I'm headed to the house I switch from away scene to home scene to turn up heat so it's warm when I arrive. If i do ths at 8 am on the thermostats stay at 50 until the next scheduled adjustment at 11 am. The app confirms that the temp will change at 11am. Conversely when I'm home and I switch to away mode the heat instantly adjusts to 50. . Has this issue been addressed?
Highlighted
Advanced Member

They have a pretty stupid implementation of the thermostat.  You can either hold the temp or run the schedule with a scene.  You can't just set a temp.  LIke you I wish I could set an away scene that sets a temp but does not change my schedule.  I have a away temp that sets via the schedule at 8:00AM.  The wife and I are both out the house by then on most days.  Some days, however, we will leave early and I would like to just go ahead and set that 8:00AM temp, but I want my schedule to keep running so it will change to the coming home temp in my schedule at 4:30PM.  I posted a feature request for it back in January of 2017, but it only got two KUDOs so not a very important feature for many people.

That being said this is one device that I have kept on Iris because it's been reliable.  Also the Alexa integration works well so I can just tell Alexa to change it before I go out the door.