cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Alert Smoke CO Detectors

Tinkerer

First Alert Smoke CO Detectors

Now I’m puzzled!! Smoke and CO2 detectors dropping constantly at both of my locations. Have called tech support and was told would get return call. Nothing yet. Have rebuilt the z-wave network multiple times. I even went as far as putting all of them within two feet of the hub and am still having the same issue. They’ve been removed and reinstalled constantly. And they’re the only z-wave devices on the network. Any ideas???? Maybe this is a hub issue or a first alert issue. But I did notice that after this last firmware update that is when I started having these issues.
5 REPLIES 5
Advanced Member

Re: First Alert Smoke CO Detectors

I have several of these and I'm not having any issues.  If these are the only zwave devices you have your network it may not be a strong enough zwave network to support much of a separation.  Try putting them all in the same area as your hub to see if they will stay connected.  If they stay connected while in the same area you may have to add a few smart plugs to use as repeaters to get the zwave coverage you need.

Also, @thegillion has a zwave mapping tool on his web portal that can provide some insight on how your zwave network is performing.

Tinkerer

They are all within 3 feet of the hub and still disconnecting. There shouldn’t be any issues at this point. In one location I have two of them and the other location only one and they’re all that close.
Advanced Member

It looks like you're going to have to wait for the return call from support.  You may have an issue with your hub's internal zwave module.  One other thing you could try while you are waiting is standing your hub on its side (assuming you have it laying flat).

Tinkerer

Thanks for the info. I’ve already tried that too. I was already thinking it might be a hub issue and discussed that with them last week.
Tinkerer

Copied from another topic on similar issue. Re: First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

Thanks Terk. While I don't have any other non Iris z-wave items you got me thinking. Here is what I did and it has been almost 3 weeks and no disconnects. I went and pulled all my smart plugs from outlets. I then made sure all smoke detectors and other battery devices were connected to system. I then did a z-wave rebuild. I then started adding smart plugs 1 at a time back into original outlets starting with the center of the house points and did a z-wave rebuild after each install. I figured by doing this I gave my most troublesome detector (basement) a 1 or 2 hop route back to hub. As I added more smart plugs to perimeter of house it should give multiple 2 or 3 hop routes back. So getting back to your post,  maybe I had a flakey signal from one of the smart plugs messing up the z-wave network and a TOTAL rebuild versus just moving a plug here and there did the trick.