cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GD00Z-1 Does Not Function After A Power Outage

SOLVED

GD00Z-1 Does Not Function After A Power Outage

There is an issue with this device. Whenever power is lost and restored, the app will no longer work because the garage status states that there is an obstruction. The tilt sensor does not communicate with the controller until the garage door is opened manually or with a standard garage door opener. This has been confirmed with several of the same model controllers. The tilt sensor goes into a standby mode to preserve battery until it is moved. The problem is that when a power outage occurs, you won't be able to use the app to open the garage and will have to use a regular garage door opener or manually open the garage from inside the home in order for the tilt sensor to register the state of the door (open or closed).
6 REPLIES
Advanced Member

Re: GD00Z-1 Does Not Function After A Power Outage

I was going to post that it was just you as I was sure I have went through many power outages since installing my GDOs and never encountered this issue.  Our power is pretty good and very seldom goes out, but it has on several occasions.  In fact last week when installing my Ring doorbell and trying to find the breaker for the doorbell I switched off power to my main garage GDO.  We had no issues with the door that day, but the door was open and my wife was not home yet.  When she got home she probably closed the garage with the button by the door as she came in the house.  There have been a few times when the door did not open or close when trying to use the app but I never associated it with a power outage. 

I guess in all the times it has happened we just happen to close or open it with a remote.  I tried it last night and sure enough after killing power the app would not open the door.  I did not get an obstruction message, in my case just nothing happened.  The only time I got that message on a GSO opening or closing did not get it working again, I had to reset the GDO.

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I attempted to duplicate the issue on our end however was unable to get a cut in power to cause the tilt sensor to show obstruction. This may be a more localized situation than a network bug, if you have futher questions you are welcome to reach out to our support team and we will be happy to assist you.

Sincerley

Thomas

Technical Support from IRIS 

Frequent Contributor

Hello all,

I have a different issue regarding the GDO after a power outage.  This morning, we had a very bad storm and lost power in our neighborhood for about 3 hours.  When the power came back online, the GDO triggered an "Obstruction Detected" message, which actually triggered the alarm system.  The alarm went off, the phone rang, the whole 9 yards.  No one was home at the time, so I drove there and checked our camera system, but nothing there. 

I plan on attempting to replicate the problem this weekend when I have time but I thought I would put it out there to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Rookie

I'm using this with a samsung controller, and an android app.  

After power is restored, the device reports "unknown" status.  I assume that the Iris controller reports this as an obstruction. 

If I move the garage door in any other way, the status is restored, and it works properly.  

The problem is, I want the controller to work especially after a power outage.  I'd like to sometimes ask a neighbor to look in on my house, and allow them entry remotely.  That's the exact reason I wanted a device like this, and it's frustrating that this is the exact situation in which it won't work reliably.

Rookie

Update:

After cycling power and waiting about a half-hour, the device DID report correctly.  Here's what I think is happening:

1.  The opener won't respond to a command to open/close the door until it has received a status from the tilt sensor.  

2.  The tilt sensor only sends a status message upon a change of state or after a very long time.  

In my opinion, 1. is an error in the design of the software preventing proper functionality.  All I want is for the contacts to momentarily close when I press the button.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

I have 2 of these on an Iris hub and do not have this problem.

You have a Samsung controller and the GDC is manufactured by Go Control, so you may want to try support for one of those forums?