cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leak Smart water sensors are reacting like smoke detectors when activated. People should test theirs

Tinkerer

Leak Smart water sensors are reacting like smoke detectors when activated. People should test theirs

1. I purchased two leak smart detectors and installed them on April 6th. This is aafter the new 2.1 app came out. When I tested them they set off all of the devices that I have programed to come on if a smoke/CO detector is set off and that is what the history on the devices says set them off. They were only supposed to follow the rule to notifyy me when water is detected since I do not have the water valve installed yet. It shows up in my histroy as smoke/CO detector activated. I would be willing to bet that everyone that thinks their device will turn off their water valve when water is detected won't happen. I would test this if you have it set up. I talked to Josh in tier 2 April 6th and was told it was a known issue and he would get back to me when it is resolved. It has not been resolved yet. I received a message from Josh on April 26th asking me to repeat  the situation so he could pass the data on to the design team. I tested both my detectors on April 28th and they both set off everything again. The phone call I received from IRIS said it was a leak detected so that part is working right. I sent an email back to Josh telling him I tested the devices and he responded that he will send the information on to the design team. 
10 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Leak Smart water sensors are reacting like smoke detectors when activated. People should test th

Thank you for posting this under the bug reports portion of our community page. I am with technical support for Iris by Lowe’s. Our development team has been made aware of this issue and we are looking into it further.  

Thank you,

Erica

Iris by Lowe’s

Tinkerer

Re: Leak Smart water sensors are reacting like smoke detectors when activated. People should test th

It was April 6th when I first reported this issue. I was told that the 2.3 version would correct this problem. I am now on 2.3 and tested my leak detectors on 6-9-2017 more that two months later. They acted like an alarm again. When I looked at my history at around 3:30 PM I can see all of the devices that went on. My keypads go off and everything still reacts like a co/smoke detector.

The next morning I unpaired my two water detectors and removed all of their rules because I knew that was going to be the next thing someone would ask me to do. I paired them again and added back their rules. I tested them again and they still act like a CO/Smoke detector. My three keypads went in to alarm. Eight devices operated when only one should have. I received a phone call from IRIS both times telling me a leak was detected. (This isn’t even an option but it should be). I thought 2.3 was going to fix this. Was it tested? I would sure like to talk to the people that tested it. What is next? When will this be resolved? It has been going on for 2 months now. I see all the new features that keep coming out. It sure would be nice to have the old ones working first.

Advanced Member

What behaviour are you expecting with the water leak detectors?  There is an option under Alarms->Alarm Sounds-> Water Leak Alarm that you can turn on/off I haven't tested turing that off to see if it keeps the alarm from going off or not since I'm not home right now but I know with it on the alarm goes off since it woke me the other night when condensation dripped off the toilet bowl since we didn't have the A/C running that day.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

What I am looking for it to do is control the devices that it is programed to do. Right now I have it programed to turn off a smart plug that my washer is plugged in to. (This is a new option that just came out with 2.3 because the only device you used to be able to control was to turn off a water valve.) It is also supposed to send me an email and push notification. (There is not an option to get a phone call when it goes off but I am getting a call) What it is doing now is turning on eight light switches and two smart plugs that I have horns plugged in to. These devices are only supposed to go off when my CO/Smoke detectors are activated and when my security alarm is activated. I am also getting a call from IRIS telling me a leak has been detected. This isn't even an option to select although I wish it was. So what is happening is my water detector thinks it is a CO/Smoke detector. It is even setting of my three keypads even though I have the water detection option turned off. I have the security and smoke turned on. I have been in contact with IRIS since I installed them on April 6th. They keep telling me they are working on a solution to the problem. The last time I talked to them I was told it would be fixed with 2.3 but it wasn't. Now they are saying it should be corrected with 2.4 which will be 3 months since I reported it. I'm not counting on it to be fixed by then.

Tinkerer

I installed 2.4 yesterday and tested my system about 30 minutes ago. Nothing has been fixed. Did the development team really work on this and think that it is fixed. Did they test it? My water detectors both still set off all of my devices that are programed to go on when smoke or CO is detected. This has been going on now since the release of 2.1 when all of the security cards were combined. It has been four months since I reported the issue. During that time the development team keeps working on other enhancements. It would be nice if they just fixed what is supposed to work first. I was told by you that 2.3 would fix it and then 2.4 would fix it. What now? Wait until 2.5 comes out in six more weeks.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The 2.4 update should resolve this issue. Please, remove and remake all rules affected with this known issue.

Tinkerer

Erica,

I worked with Josh and the developement team after 2.4 came out and didn't fix this issue. I removed all of the rules and added that back as Josh asked me to do. As of August 11th it looked like things were fixed. They are on the water sensor side but I discovered something new now. I decided that I should just test my entire sytem to see how things are working. I decided this is a good idae every time a new app version comes out. Below are the results.

On August 13th I tested my security alarm in the on and partial mode with a contact sensor and a motion sensor. Everything worked like it is supposed to. I tested my water sensor and it worked like it is supposed to. The only device that operated was my washer plug turned off and I received an email. I do not have a water valve.

The problem occurred when I tested a smoke detector with a candle. I haven't ever done that before. All of the programmed device turned on. My furnace turned off at my thermostat. (A new feature that came out in 2.4) The thing that worked wrong was my washer plug tuned off. The only thing that is supposed to operate the washer plug is a leak sensor. So now the smoke detector thinks it is a water sensor too. Although this isn't as bad as a leak sensor thinking it is a smoke detector on my system it is still bad. If someone had a water valve on their system it would turn the water off when the smoke detector goes off. If they wanted to use a hose to put the fire out they couldn't. Please let me know when this gets corrected and I will test my system again. Hopefully this doesn't take another four months. I would say it is quite a liability issue for Lowe's if the IRIS system turns someone's water off if they have a fire

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for posting the update to your system. Our development team has been made aware of this issue and we are looking into it further.

Tinkerer

Erica,

I got a message from Josh today telling me that the development team fixed the problem and wanted me to test my system. I tested it today with smoke and water at 5:02 PM. Everything worked like it is programmed too. I do not have a water valve on my system so I do not know how that would have reacted.