cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Wireless Camera

SOLVED
Tinkerer

New Wireless Camera

I’m sure an update is coming or I would hope so. There is no way to record with the new camera. The camera card doesn’t have a record button and it isn’t selectable in rules. Just a FYI
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0LM71m0Kxa8q7mm2BVzdO706g
18 REPLIES
Tinkerer

Re: New Wireless Camera

Update: it appears that it records on its own with no way of controlling the recording feature.
Community Manager

With the new Iris Wireles Security Camera IRIS-BCAM-LW (Battery operated): There are some changes in comparison to the current Iris cameras please see below. CameraComparison.jpgIris Camera functionality comparison.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

The specs for the camera say that it's an indoor/outdoor camera.  With this new information, there is no way that anyone would want to use it indoors.  I'd have 100 clips every hour with my grandson play "you can't catch me" games.  That's not acceptable for indoors.    Other paremeters should be added for indoor use but motion is not the answer, at least not all day long.

Tinkerer

OK, so I am not impressed at all with the battery life of these cameras. I have one of them sitting in the living room that I had set to record today after we left. I guess it recorded 5 10 second clips and then I turned the motion off when I got home. The camera is already down to 89% so I would say 15% drop a day with very light use. My other camera on the front porch lasted two and 1/2 days, also with light recording, and before I started receiving the critical battery alarms on it so on 2.5 days it is being charged again. I am thinking with that one, that I was playing with it a lot and maybe that is it but not that much for it to already be dead. I am going to charge it again to 100% and see how long it lasts this time. Oh and also it says the blue light means it is almost charged but not quite, well that comes on when it is plugged in no matter what. 20% and it was still on and never goes off when the battery reaches 100%. The webpage will show you the exact % the camera battery is but the app shows “OK” as always. These are going to have to be plugged in 24/7 if they are only going to last 2-3 days per charge. Don’t like the 1 min max recording either, that I just saw above, what if someone was messing around a car or something in the driveway and it just stops recording? Will it startup another clip “quick-fast”? I’m really trying to like these but wireless that has to be charged every three days really isn’t wireless to me. Are you eventually coming out with a 1080p wired(power) camera?
Tinkerer

@accessdenied79 wrote:
OK, so I am not impressed at all with the battery life of these cameras. I have one of them sitting in the living room that I had set to record today after we left. I guess it recorded 5 10 second clips and then I turned the motion off when I got home. The camera is already down to 89% so I would say 15% drop a day with very light use. My other camera on the front porch lasted two and 1/2 days, also with light recording, and before I started receiving the critical battery alarms on it so on 2.5 days it is being charged again. I am thinking with that one, that I was playing with it a lot and maybe that is it but not that much for it to already be dead. I am going to charge it again to 100% and see how long it lasts this time. Oh and also it says the blue light means it is almost charged but not quite, well that comes on when it is plugged in no matter what. 20% and it was still on and never goes off when the battery reaches 100%. The webpage will show you the exact % the camera battery is but the app shows “OK” as always. These are going to have to be plugged in 24/7 if they are only going to last 2-3 days per charge. Don’t like the 1 min max recording either, that I just saw above, what if someone was messing around a car or something in the driveway and it just stops recording? Will it startup another clip “quick-fast”? I’m really trying to like these but wireless that has to be charged every three days really isn’t wireless to me. Are you eventually coming out with a 1080p wired(power) camera?

I'm assuming that it charges via a USB cable, is that correct?  If so, does it come with an adapter?  If that's true also, or you obtain an adapter for it, than you can plug it into to power now.

Tinkerer

Camera was made to be wireless and not need a power cable in it 24/7. You also can’t leave it plugged in if it is outside as you would remove the weather proof cover and rain would get in. Also the usb cable and adapter are not made to be outdoors either. The camera went from low battery to very low battery in two hours with no movement. It is almost back to 100% and like I said, I will give it another go.
Tinkerer

Wow!  Only 2-3 days of battery life? I'm guessing you have a bad battery. I can't think someone would design a wireless security camera to only work for 2 days! Lets see what the IRIS team comes back with. Keep the faith!!

Community Manager

FYI you can adjust the camera's sensitivity to motion in your Iris app or web portal, go to the device details and then configuration. 

Under normal circumstances the battery should last several weeks.

-Mike

Tinkerer

For those of us who have no idea about the battery, how is the camera charging actually done?  Do you bring in the entire camera or just the battery to charge?  How long does the charging take?  It's important to know how long you will be without the camera while charging.  Does cold weather affect the length of time a battery charge will last like it does with my DSLR cameras?  I'm assuming it does.  In other words, should I take the camera inside if the temps get single digits or below zero  (Fahrenheit) which we sometimes get where I'm located.  Finally, I have a bird feeder where birds would be flying by often.  I realize the camera can be set for low sensitivity but I'm not sure what that means.  Can someone explain the sensitivity ssettings in more detail?