Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Wireless Camera

SOLVED
Tinkerer

Re: New Wireless Camera

@sfink16 wrote:

For those of us who have no idea about the battery, how is the camera charging actually done?  Do you bring in the entire camera or just the battery to charge?  How long does the charging take?  It's important to know how long you will be without the camera while charging.  Does cold weather affect the length of time a battery charge will last like it does with my DSLR cameras?  I'm assuming it does.  In other words, should I take the camera inside if the temps get single digits or below zero  (Fahrenheit) which we sometimes get where I'm located.  Finally, I have a bird feeder where birds would be flying by often.  I realize the camera can be set for low sensitivity but I'm not sure what that means.  Can someone explain the sensitivity ssettings in more detail?

Charging is done with the included USB Micro cable about 6' long and a charging brick that is 2A.  The base is magnetic so you can just pull the camera down to charge, the battery is internal so it can't be removed.  Last night mine went from <20% to 100% in about 2-2.5 or so hours.  I plugged it in at 6 and it was done around 9 when I checked but I didn't keep an eye on it.  The blue light when plugged in doesn't show charging status like the manual says, plugged in = blue, no matter the battery percentage (when not recording).  The only way I could tell that it was 100% charged was using the web portal site (Iris's).  I plugged it back in last night around 9PM and the battery is back down to 93% at 11 AM (EST) with only 3 - 10 second recordings so far today. (No streaming done).  7% in 14 hours so far.

Tinkerer

@MikeS wrote:

FYI you can adjust the camera's sensitivity to motion in your Iris app or web portal, go to the device details and then configuration. 

Under normal circumstances the battery should last several weeks.

-Mike

I have the senstivity is set to medium. If there aren't any recordings being recorded, would the sensitivity matter?  I could see if it was full of recordings but it isn't recording but a few times a day at around 10 seconds, that is due to people actually walking by it.

Community Manager

@sfink16 wrote:

For those of us who have no idea about the battery, how is the camera charging actually done?  Do you bring in the entire camera or just the battery to charge?  How long does the charging take?  It's important to know how long you will be without the camera while charging.  Does cold weather affect the length of time a battery charge will last like it does with my DSLR cameras?  I'm assuming it does.  In other words, should I take the camera inside if the temps get single digits or below zero  (Fahrenheit) which we sometimes get where I'm located.  Finally, I have a bird feeder where birds would be flying by often.  I realize the camera can be set for low sensitivity but I'm not sure what that means.  Can someone explain the sensitivity ssettings in more detail?

You bring in the whole camera to charge - it attaches to the base via a magnet so this is pretty easy, you don't need to worry about having to unscrew anything each time

Charging take an hour or so, although it can vary based on existing charge, etc.

The camera uses a 6000 mAh luithium-ion battery

Like most similar batteries it will have a bit less charge in very low temperatures; it is all weather so no need to take it inside, just something to be aware of

The sensitivity settings are exactly what the aound like, the affect how much motion must be "seen" by the camera before triggering motion detection and a recording. I would recommend trying each setting, perhaps for a few hours or a day, and seeing how many recordings you get to find the optimal setting for your specific environment

Hope this helps,

-Mike

Tinkerer

I just set up my camera yesterday assuming it would operate like my other ones. I was surprised that I could not program it to record for a set amount of time and other things like record when a door opens or a motion sensor is activated. Will this be fixed? I have it set at Max for sensitivity. You can stand 10 feet away from it and keep moving and it stops recording after 10 seconds 90% of the time. I want to be able to have it record for at least one minute. Why the cutoff time?

Tinkerer

Update on battery:  4 days and it is down to 80% so I would say that is much better than what it did on the first charge.  This is several recordings a day and it is 40 degrees outside when I just checked it.  I would say that it seems to be working better now as far as battery life goes.

Tinkerer

Now the camera isn't recording to the cloud.  I noticed that my last recording was around 2:40'ish PM EST yesterday.  I can stream from it and went outside and verified that the camera spun up and the red light came on but nothing is showing in the app.  @MikeS

Highlighted
Tinkerer

I do not have any recordings this morning. I have it set to MAX and set it off a number of times. The history shows a lot of motion detected but no recordings are there. Is someone from Lowe's working on this issue? It usually only recorded for 10 seconds when it was working even though I am still moving in front of it. So far it is not a very good investment.

Tinkerer

@accessdenied79 wrote:

Update on battery:  4 days and it is down to 80% so I would say that is much better than what it did on the first charge.  This is several recordings a day and it is 40 degrees outside when I just checked it.  I would say that it seems to be working better now as far as battery life goes.

Wanted to give another update on the camera battery.  From this last post above, this is the first time I have charged the camera.  It was down to 15% this morning so I went ahead and plugged it in.  This is a lot better than the first charge so I wanted to let those know who wonder about battery life.  80%-15% took two weeks, so about three weeks per charge on one that is on my front porch.