cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet--Unable to turn alarm on/off with keypads

Frequent Contributor

No internet--Unable to turn alarm on/off with keypads

My internet went down Sunday. During this time I tried to turn the alarm on via the keypad before headed out the door to church. Well, I tried it for about 5 minutes but it was a no go. The keypad would blink as if it was going to try but then it would disconnect from the system for about a second. I tried all 3 keypads and they responded the same way. I thought "local processing" had been fixed? Come on Iris this should've been fixed already.....what good is a system if the internet goes out and the whole thing is basically in standby mode!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: No internet--Unable to turn alarm on/off with keypads

Hi,

When the internet is offline, you can disarm, but not arm the alarm. Adidtionally, if the alarm is armed and is triggered, sirens and keypads will sound locally in your home.

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

Just had this issue also.  I have everything Iris on my own network/router, not the cable router, so I thought it would still function locally if internet went down (alarm on/off, lights, thermostat).  I even have the hub and router on a battery backup so they can function locally if power goes out as well.  Nope, the entire system is completely useless without an internet connection, can't even perform essential local functions like setting the alarm.

Is Iris addressing this?  I have to check if other systems still function locally without internet, this is likely a dealbreaker.

Advanced Member

Supposedly you can disarm the systems when the internet is down, however for some unknown reason you cannot arm the system with the internet down.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet

Additionally, when the internet does down, the keypad begins to beep until you disable the security alarm.  This is inconvenient at 3 AM , which has happened three times in the past week as Spectrum is upgrading harware at low packet volume and it wakes us up each time.  Is there a way to turn off the keypad alarm that indicates loss of internet?  The inside siren does not go off thankfully.

Frequent Contributor

If you were able to arm the system without internet, then you would not need to purchase the somewhat expensive 4G backup USB dongle with equally expensive monthly service plan. The amount of data the Iris uses is incredibly minute and doesn't justify the price tag. If you would like a low cost setup with no monthly fee, check into a 4G home modem/router from Freedompop.com. The base plan is 500 megabytes which is plenty, and completely free. And what you pay at checkout will be the only cost, so long as you login online and cancel the few extras that are given to you free at sign up. I have done this and had 4 lines free at one point, but service will vary by area.
Highlighted
Advanced Member

@savage9r wrote:
The amount of data the Iris uses is incredibly minute and doesn't justify the price tag. 

Incredibly minute?

Iris Hub.png

Frequent Contributor

Normally!? That can't be normal!! What cellular service would include 75+ Gigs for $8 a month? Answer = none. I would say yours has been compromised or the OS corrupt at the very least.