cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI camera won't live stream

Tinkerer

WIFI camera won't live stream

System will not let me "live stream" on either a computer or smart phone.  If I pick the camera and then click on the button to stream. I will then get the loading screen and then get the spinning line around the play arrow ball. It does it's thing for 10-15 seconds and just when it seems it wants to switch to the live view it goes back to the dashboard screen on the computer. On a smart phone I get an error message to call tech support if it continues. 

9 REPLIES 9
Frequent Contributor

Re: WIFI camera won't live stream

Yes. Same thing for me. Over a week now of tech support trying to help. Glad to know I am not the only one. At first, they said it was my internet but did speed tests and it’s not. Even with the camera within inches of the router, same issues. I truly believe there is an issue with the non hub device interacting with the app. I have a 4 year old doggie camera that works better, so I am hopeful Iris will fix the issue. Have you called tech support?
Tinkerer

Have not called tech support yet. I'm not "Mr Techie" but I enjoy a challenge so I've just been trying different things.  I will most likely call them today. Being I am still getting the clips I haven't been to concerned as I figured like you did there is a little bug somewhere and they will figure it out. 

Tinkerer

Here is the solution I stumbled upon. As a by product of trying to get better wifi coverage for TV's and streaming services in the far corners of my upstairs and basement I added a Netgear ORBI mesh network system to my home. As a result of this little kick to the system signal as a whole, all my cameras (inside and out) instantly started live streaming with no problems. I really didn't think I had a signal problem as an app I had on my phone showed good signal strength! I guess the moral of the story is don't trust a freeware app to troubleshoot your wifi signal!! 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you. Good to know. Any idea how much your speed has increased for uploads? I continue to have problems getting the live stream to load with the camera next to the router. I periodically get the red “hmm something went wrong” error message so I am not convinced an WiFi extender will fix my issue.
Tinkerer

These are the numbers right off my ORBI page. I don't know what the readings are before connection as I can't see these numbers anywhere that I know of on Iris site. According to the wifi bands on my cell phone Iris app the signal is good though I also would get that error message. After I set up the mesh network I connect to my outdoor camera at 72 Mbps at the 2.4 ghz freq and my indoor cameras connect at rates around 150 Mbps at the 5 ghz freq. These are the Link Rates shown on ORBI device page. Don't ask me how it picks and chooses the freq but it is automatic. Beware that these mesh network systems are not cheap though there are a lot of sales going on.  

Advanced Member

@Augie20 wrote:

These are the numbers right off my ORBI page. I don't know what the readings are before connection as I can't see these numbers anywhere that I know of on Iris site. According to the wifi bands on my cell phone Iris app the signal is good though I also would get that error message. After I set up the mesh network I connect to my outdoor camera at 72 Mbps at the 2.4 ghz freq and my indoor cameras connect at rates around 150 Mbps at the 5 ghz freq. These are the Link Rates shown on ORBI device page. Don't ask me how it picks and chooses the freq but it is automatic. Beware that these mesh network systems are not cheap though there are a lot of sales going on.  

With all due respect how does a 2.4GHz device connect to a 5GHz frequency?

Tinkerer

Sorry. Thats the Orbi receiver device to Orbi router speed back to the ISP router and not the camera speed. The camera is only 2.4. So basically the mesh network speed is much better than the ISP provider within the host area so you get a much improved signal to main router. Once the Orbi has your devices signal it decides what frequency it sends it around on its network. My actual ISP speed is from hi 20's to low 40's and with the new mesh network it is a pretty steady 50-65 testing on several speed test sites. Don't know how it works but it has done a great job improving everything from Iris cameras to streaming tv to cell phones.  I do run 2 different SSID's. I am running Iris and all smart tv's and cell phones on Orbi mesh. I let computers and Ipads hit the ISP. 

Highlighted
Advanced Member

I'm very familar with how these mesh devices work and even though they do improve LAN connectivity significantly, they will not increase the speed provided by your ISP.

Tinkerer

The numbers are for WIFI. My ISP hardwired by ethernet is 100+ download speed. It is my WIFI that is causing issues. The mesh network gives you better coverage area so you have a better signal overall. Once your device is on the mesh network it is passed back to the ISP router much faster, cleaner and with a much improved signal. Once you remove the clutter or noise from your WIFI you will see an improvement in overall speed and quality.