cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Switches to control other Switches, or Bulbs

Allow Switches to control other Switches, or Bulbs

I would really like the ability to link an In-Wall switch, or a Button, to other In-Wall Switches, Plug-In modules, or Bulbs, either by a rule, triggering a scene, or some other mechanism.

If I have a wall switch that controls a light in the room, but also have other "on/off" devices or smart bulbs in other parts of the room it would be nice to be able to configure that one switch to turn them all On or Off, even if they are not all physically connected to the wiring that switch controls. It would also be nice to be able to do this from a Smart Button.

8 Comments

I know you can do this with smart buttons 

Advanced Member

Yes, this would be great, I have a lamp that I always turn on when I turn on the overhead light switch in one room, the lamp is plugged into a SmartPlug so right now I use a Smart button but it would be much more convienient to just have it come on when I turn on the overhead lights, that switch is a GE Z-Wave on/off switch.

Advanced Member

I suggested this in the feature request about grouping.  Would seem to fit into grouping but probably better to have it's own feature request listing.

I have a scene that turns on all the outside lights when I open the garage door after sunset.  When I come in the house I have to open the phone to run the scene to turn them all off.  It is about 5 different GE switches covering all the outside lights, two of which are in my detached shop.  When I walk in the door I walk right by one and it would be nice to be able to just turn off that one and they all go off.

Now with Alexa I can tell my dot to turn them off, but the switch would still be quicker.

Tinkerer

I would also like to see this.
The lights on the outside of my garage are wired independently of the lights on my front porch. Our garage door is blocked off and we don't park a car in there, although we do park our cars in front of the garage. The switch for these lights is inside the garage and is rarely used. It would be nice to configure a rule which would also turn on and off these lights when the front porch lights are turned on or off...

Frequent Contributor

In my garage and by my back door, I have a smart button installed right next to a light switch. The light switch turns on one light, but both locations (garage and back yard) have multiple lights that I would like to all go on/off together. Since installing the smart buttons and scenes, I have found that I never just flip the individual switches anymore. If a switch could trigger a group or a scene, I would not need the smart buttons right next to those switches at all. 

Frequent Contributor

I've got a smart button controlling 2 smart plugs which in turn each control a light.  It works Ok, but occassionally the lights get out of sync.  Interestingly, using Alexa to control the group keeps them in sync, e.g. "Alexa, turn on the living room" or "Alexa, turn off the living room" will sync them back up, so the button is seeing a lot less use these days.  Nonetheless, one of these lights used to be on an old "dumb" outlet that's hard-wired to a pre-existing wall-switch.  It would be nice if I could put replace the wall switch with a Z-wave switch and then have the other light on a smart-plug that is "slaved" to the wall-switch so that they're always switching together.

Frequent Contributor

I've always wanted that to.

Rookie

This is such a simple, yet unfulfilled, request. IRIS team, why are we still waiting?  I am seriously considering moving to SmartThings, these request should be available by now or we should have IFTTT. When the platforms gets shutdown will anyone wonder why!