cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto close garage door after preset time limit

0 Kudos

Auto close garage door after preset time limit

The Iris rules currently have "Garage door opened, run scene" and "Garage door activated, send message after X minutes". I have an issue I encounter on a regular enough basis that I wish Iris could handle; sometimes I leave the garage door open at night and forget to close it, or when driving away from the house, the door doesn't close (either the remote doesn't trigger or the safely re-opens the door). What I'd like to see is the "run scene" rule have a dropdown for duration (immediate can be an option to leave the rule unchanged). Right now, if I set up a scene to close the door, it will close immediately after opening - which is *so* close to what I'm looking for.

7 Comments
Advanced Member

Create a Scene called "Close the garage door if it isn't already at 11" or something like that then Add just you Garage door under Actions->Open or Close Garage Doors, make sure you change to the Close tab then add your garage door.  Then Schedule the Scene with a Run Time of 11 or whatever time you want and set Repeat On to Always.  Then Save

This will not verify that the door isn't already closed so you will see the Scene run each night no matter the state of the door but if the door was open you would also see that the door closed in history.

For when you leave you would currently need a presence sensor to setup a rule to close the garage door when no one is home, and it would take up to 10 minutes from the time you leave to the door closing.  They are supposedly working on Geofencing which would allow it to track your cell phone instead of needing to carry a presence sensor and it should be able to close the door sooner but we'll have to wait for that to become available.

Rookie

It seems that I don't have the option to create a schedule for the Garage door. Attached is what I see in the app. Am I looking in the wrong place?

IMG_2655.PNG

Also, although that might work for the evening close, it wouldn't work for any other situation. Neither the precense sensor nor the geofencing would solve the problem though, since my wife may stay home while I go out or visa versa. Either would prevent the trigger for the door to close automatically. My initial solution described in my original post should both be easy to implement and would be a broader capability.

Rookie

One more screenshot for good measure - looks like the schedule capability is not available for the garage door, only the plug:

Screenshot from 2017-11-14 11-54-17.png

Advanced Member

Create a Scene:

file1.pngfile.pngfile2.pngfile3.png

Rookie

That worked, thanks! I still do wish that there was a timer for when the garage door is open to auto close, seems like most of the functionality is already there.

I keep getting the following notifications. How Can stop it?

Reminder: intrusion detected by the GARAGE DOOR 1509 hours ago

How do I stop the following notifications?

Reminder: intrusion detected by the GARAGE DOOR 1509 hours ago