cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Climate Control - Thermostat Show When Running

Climate Control - Thermostat Show When Running

It would be nice to see when the furnace be it heat or a/c is currently running. For example, the little flame icon turns red when the furnace is currently running, not 'on' as the mode is turned 'on'. for A/C the little snowflake icon turns blue.

In some situations I need to know if the heat is actually running, especially for rental properties. This with combination of temperature graphs would help with energy savings.

11 Comments
Frequent Contributor

This is a great idea. 

Frequent Contributor

This is definitely useful to have.  My Ecobee shows me this on its app and it helps me to decide if I want to change a temperature if the furnace is currently running, or if I want to let the cycle finish.    It can definitely be helpful to know if the thermostat is calling for heat or cooling.  Even more functionality would be if it would show if Stage 1 or 2 heat is being called for.  

Frequent Contributor

Are you guys new to IRIS. All these things were in Ver 1 which were lost to Ver2. there were temperature graphs by the hour, day, week, month. and there were temperature graphs for all the window and door sensors plus the motion detector. So, you could see the temp in every rom of your house. But all gone now and I am afraid never to return. i can't imagine it would be that hard to write the code for a temp graph but it is obviously not on Lowes radar. Lawsuit anyone.!!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

No we're not new to Iris. And we know it was in Ver1, and we liked it. That's why we are asking for it for Ver2.

Frequent Contributor

I'd love to have a historical graph of my HVAC run times, not simply being able to tell when it is currently running from the app (something like a Gantt chart, maybe). Being able to monitor trends over time can really help a homeowner make energy-wise decisions.

BTW - this is a function that was not in V1

Frequent Contributor

This is another feature that was in V1 that was lost. You could look at the thermostat graph and tell how many times your furnace turned on during the day. It didn't count htem for you . you would have to look at the graph and how many times the temperature rose to its setting. 

I called IRIS support on Friday about my themostat not changing settings according to the schedule. They had no real solution as usual except to reset the hub.
But while talking to the rep. I compained about all the stuff that was lost going from V1 to V2. It seems the Lowes IRIS position is they will only replace stuff that enough people ask for.
I asked what constitutes a request and he didn't have a solid answer. He did say that any request made to a Rep goes on the record. I have the feeling all the requests made in this blog are not getting
considered seriously or maybe not at all. So it seems the possible solution is to inundate the 800 number line and keep making our needs and displeasure known. My two cents

Frequent Contributor

Yes, you could count how many times your thermostat temp rose and fell during the day with v1, but v1 would not give you actual run times of the furnace (this is something that Nest thermostats will do for you).  The reason there is a huge difference in just counting temp changes and the reporting of ACTUAL furnace run time, for me anyway, is that I use a fireplace for suplimental heating and therefore cannot actually calculate furnace burn times based on simple rise and fall of the temperature reported by a thermostat.

A 'smart' house should be able to communicate what is happening  (or what has happened) not just be cleverly automated. 

Community Manager
Status changed to: Logged

This is something we are looking into, however we are currently discussing how this would look within the Iris app and web UI. We appreciate your feedback and insight here and will continue to keep you updated.

Frequent Contributor

You could make the snowflake icon blue and rotating, and the flame icon red and moving like a flame. And also make the fan icon rotate like in Nest. If you make an option to turn the furnace blower only, again just like Nest.