cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Battery Indicators

Device Battery Indicators

It would be nice to be able to see the devices battery % no matter what it is rather than OK until it get below 30% or whatever the threshold is currently.

40 Comments

"Newer **edited** batteries will show at near 100% for extended periods of time, and then rapidly fall off, providing a false sense of security. Battery percentage can go up and down as a function of temperature, ..."

With that being said. I @Otto_Mation is right we need to move the OK up around 40%. 

@thegillion to start showing percentages at ~60 to 70%

The point of the rapid voltage decline is the one I'm making to have this functionality added back like it was in V1.  The 30% mark is not cutting it since the drop can be so rapid it just goes from something >30% to dead.  Lowes could make this a configuration option in settings for those that want to see it by checking a box to display >30% battery percentages.  The default will be how it is today to keep the confused customers in the dark.

If Lowes is really that concerned around people not understanding the % maybe you could show us the voltage?  I like the configuration setting idea the best though.  In any matter the 30% is too low it needs to be increased. 

@Otto_Mation and @Terk  Here is a video I made about low temps on CR2 batteries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZhoON9cWOY

Advanced Member

Nice video!  I've always known cold temps affect batteries (living where the temp drops to below 0 sometimes for a few days in a row) so when a device tells me the battery is low and the temp is below normal I don't get too worried since I know it will come back to normal after it warms up outside.  Because of that I'd like to know when the batteries in my outside devices are below 60% when it is above 50 degrees so if it is close to winter I can swap batteries with a device inside where the battery is in the 80-90% range so I know both devices will likely make it through the winter.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the video. Where did you get the magnets that you used with your multimeter? That's a really good idea.

Advanced Member

My Siren started chirping at 7pm tonight and I got a low battery alert at the same time.  I'd really like to get alerts with a day of warning or be able to see all battery levels in one place and the battery level up past 30% since that obviously isn't early enough warning.  This is the first time on of the devices started chirping while I was awake so that's something.

@pavalov from contact sensors Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Perfect! I have extras from the other halves of all the freezer/room temp sensors I've put to work.

Frequent Contributor

somehow smarthings is not having this problem and I am able to see the exact battery percentages. Put a disclaimer on the temperature/age diviations and display the percentage. The half-assery with Iris V2 seems to be the norm rather than exception.