cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable WiFi Smart swith to accept special characters for WiFi Passwords.

Enable WiFi Smart swith to accept special characters for WiFi Passwords.

The lack of support for special characters is inacceptably poor security.  There is no way I wil cgange my WiFi PWd to remove special characters -- which violates recommended security practices.  This demonstrates a complete lack of care for security with IoT, and I would NEVER use or recommned Iris for anyone based on this.  This is security failure of first order.  The developers are incompetent or just don't take security seriously.  You really need to rethink your development process that would EVER alow this out the door.

2 Comments
Frequent Contributor

Ouch.  Temporarily, for the time being until this can be addressed, can't you make your password more secure by using a longer length, making it complex by not using any dictionary words, and using several variations of capital and lowercase numbers?   Something like this?  vBCa52eg8zkSh0TA   This example is still very secure, without the need of symbols.   Passwords can still be strong and secure without the use of symbols.   

Frequent Contributor

P.S.  Check out this website if you want to see how secure your passwords are.  https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (password saving apps also have this built in often as well.)  

The password example I provided above would take an exceptionally long time (years and years of Brute Force attempts) to compromise.   It is absolutely possible to have strong passwords without the use of Symbols.  I also work in IT and there are a lot of discussions of having users change passwords from short, but complex passwords to being longer and easier to remember (but not guess.)   The argument of needing symbols is more oppinion than it is fact of being unsecure.   If Iris were to limit password length that would be more of an issue than not allowing symbols, which I'm fine with personally and many other IT pros would agree as well.