cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Door Controllers As Alarm Devices Again?

Garage Door Controllers As Alarm Devices Again?

Can we go back to treating the garage door controller as an alarm device and a door again? This worked in V1. It's pretty crazy to think that someone can open my garage, and my alarm system knows that my garage door is open, yet does not care and will let a burglar empty my garage without ever going off or letting me know.

20 Comments
Frequent Contributor

I'm with you on this - the GDO tilt sensor status should have been a participating sensor for the alarms.  I'm glad I also have motion detectors in my garage in the meantime...

Here's a list of all the rules I had in v1.

When any alarm is triggered then close Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)
When Alarm is set to 'ON' then close Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)
When Alarm is set to 'PARTIAL' then close Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)
When Alarm is set to 'OFF' then open Garage Door (Garage Door Controller) (4:00pm - 8:00pm)	
When Alarm is set to 'PARTIAL' but garage door isn't closed then close it and send me an email
When Alarm is set to 'ON' but garage door isn't closed then close it and send me an email	
xxxxWhen fire alarm is triggered then open Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)xxxx
When CO alarm is triggered then open Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)	
When any lock is locked then close Garage Door (Garage Door Controller)
When Mud Room Door (Contact Sensor) is opened then open Garage Door (Garage Door Controller) (6:00am - 8:00am)
When Garage Door (Garage Door Controller) is opened then send me a text

I think most of these are possible but the first one.  Any alarm would have also accounted for a security alarm trigger. 

Rookie

This has long been a feature ask since v2 was released.  Thanks for keeping it alive.  Garage door rules have some very specific safety and security justification.  To your point.... if someone accidentally leaves the door open, I'd like to get a notification at sunset or after 3 hours or whatever.  It's crazy they can't just change the garage door type to 'door'. 

Beginner

I had an email chain discussion with Iris Support last June, and was told that this would be added to the "Feature Request" queue back then (after initially being told that a garage door is not considered a "security device" unlike a window or door...).  Aparently it takes a really long time to "develop" these "new features"...

Frequent Contributor

Set my alarm off today (I thought my wife was home), not from opening the garage door, but from walking into the garage (camera caught me). Luckily I have additional hardware in my garage. It would be nicer if the alarm was going off as soon as my garage door was opening....

This is a parity item that really should be addressed.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

We can confirm that this feature will be made available for all Iris branded garage door controllers by Q2 2017. Unfortunately this will not be available for any Genie models, a decision made by the manufacturer.

Frequent Contributor
Awesome to see this moving forward again! Glad to see this in the accepted category. It is good to see that our feedback is not falling on deaf ears. Thanks Iris!
Frequent Contributor

"We can confirm that this feature will be made available for all Iris branded garage door controllers by Q2 2017." What about integration of the tilt sensors?

VIP

It appears to be done at this point.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Your Iris Garage Door controller will now be eligible to participate in your Security Alarm. You will be able to manually add your Iris Garage Door controller in the Iris app to participate in your Security Alarm.