cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Door Controllers As Alarm Devices Again?

Garage Door Controllers As Alarm Devices Again?

Can we go back to treating the garage door controller as an alarm device and a door again? This worked in V1. It's pretty crazy to think that someone can open my garage, and my alarm system knows that my garage door is open, yet does not care and will let a burglar empty my garage without ever going off or letting me know.

20 Comments
Advanced Member

How about letting me turn on a light when it opens.

For those of you that have Genie models and would like the option to include your garage doors as alarm devices you can do two things.  1.  Don't buy Genie products in the future for making stupid decisions that limit your ability to use a product as you see fit and 2. Install a NYCE tilt sensor on your garage door as it will allow you to add your garage door as an alarm device despite what Genie thinks.  

Frequent Contributor

I would like the beep option to return when my garage door opens, just like it did in version 1.  That way it will Chime just like the hub Chimes when a door opens.

Frequent Contributor

I added a NYCE Gen 1 and a NYCE Gen 2 (HPA).  Both are recognized, Gen 2 can chirp on open.  Neither will show up in the "Alarm" devices to include in "On" or "Partial".  Any suggestions folks?

Dave

VIP

Tilt sensors are not a participating device.  Add a contact sensor or Garage Door Controller for alarm participation.

Frequent Contributor

Hmm... I could swear the NYCE tilt sensor was a particpating device in the past. Change in build or features?  Can it be added back by our friends at IRIS?

VIP

You are correct.  Thanks to Otto_Mation for reminding me that update 2.17 in November 2017 removed the Nyce Tilt Sensor for Pro Monitoring. Not sure if it's an option if you do not have Pro Monitoring.

Community Manager
Hi, You can get the Nyce Tilt Sensor added back as a participant in the alarm system. You need to call support and ask for this - the Nyce Tilt Sensor is incompatible with the local alarm processing feature of Iris, but Support can, at your request, turn off the local alarm processing which would allow you to add the Nyce sensor back into your alarm system. -Mike
VIP

What is the issue with the tilt sensor as a local processing device?

Frequent Contributor

Hi, You can get the Nyce Tilt Sensor added back as a participant in the alarm system. You need to call support and ask for this - the Nyce Tilt Sensor is incompatible with the local alarm processing feature of Iris, but Support can, at your request, turn off the local alarm processing which would allow you to add the Nyce sensor back into your alarm system. -Mike

That worked.  Thanks Mike S!