cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage Door Rules and Abilities

Garage Door Rules and Abilities

I would like the ability to create a rule to notify me when the garage door has been open for more than 15-30 minutes like you can with a door sensor. I would also like the ability to add the garage door to the activating sensors for triggering the alarm. If someone stole or had my garage door code they could open the door and steal everything in the garage without the alarm going off or me even knowing. These to items were the whole reason I bought the garage door controller and I can't believe these abilities weren't already available.
13 Comments

@Jonxanth wrote:
I would like the ability to create a rule to notify me when the garage door has been open for more than 15-30 minutes like you can with a door sensor. I would also like the ability to add the garage door to the activating sensors for triggering the alarm. If someone stole or had my garage door code they could open the door and steal everything in the garage without the alarm going off or me even knowing. These to items were the whole reason I bought the garage door controller and I can't believe these abilities weren't already available.

I was able to accomplish this by installing a NYCE tilt sensor.

Advanced Member

I bought a NYCE tilt sensor as well for that reason, however it shouldn't be difficult for them to add a rule so those who haven't already spent the extra for the NYCE tilt sensor or used a contact sensor on a hinge, wouldn't have to spend any extra money since the data is already there they just need the rule.

Advanced Member

I think this has been covered before.  I believe I read that Linear pulled that ability, therefore Iris is not able to add that at this time.  They commented that they were hopeful it would return at some point.

Frequent Contributor

I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. I believe that you can mount a regular door sensor on to your garage door and then use the regular door sensors rules. I know  you'd like to have the functionality with the garage door opener, but maybe this is a workaround until that but comes available. 

Advanced Member

Yes you can add a contact sensor as that is what I did.  I would really like to know where Iris claims this was removed because of Linear.  I have never read that.  I would just like to turn on lights when my garage door opens.  I really don't see how that could possible be considered some type of security issue.  The motor has a light on it that turns on a light now when I open it, so how could turning on a few more be a problem.

Advanced Member

That claim originated back in that call-in that the president? or CEO? of Iris held.  He stated that some features were removed by vendors that were out of Iris control.  The caller was asking why it was removed from alarm devices.

If they allow it to be a door for rule purposes, maybe that defaults it back into alarm devices?

Advanced Member

Here is the question as written:

36.  Why aren't garage doors treated as doors (cannot add to alarm devices... no chimes)?

We discussed during the call that some devices have restrictions placed on them for legal reasons, which may change over time.

Here is the link to the show on the other forum, (if allowed).

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/1618-qa-recording/#comment-12478

Edit to add: Garage door controller question is at 27:42

Advanced Member

It's weird that they changed the abilities of the GDO at the same time the V2 system came out.

Advanced Member

I would almost swear that it was there for a short time after switching hubs.   Memory ain't what it used to be, so I could be wrong.

VIP

The GDO as an alarm device is back but we still do not have the ability to use it to control another device.