cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groups

Groups

We need groups back like in V1.  This could save us on having so many rules.  From a rules perspective it could simply be solved by allowing us to check more than one device.  To further this why not let us pick more than one device for the trigger and the target when creating the rule in the V2 app?

groups.JPG

19 Comments

Modes then it is groups.

Frequent Contributor

Integrating Echo into my system allowed simple use of groups again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. Please build this back into V2

Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

What devices would you primarily like to incorporate into your groups and how would you use them? Does it tend to be Lighting, or more so on a room-by-room basis?

RE: Status changed to: Needs Info

What devices would you primarily like to incorporate into your groups and how would you use them? Does it tend to be Lighting, or more so on a room-by-room basis?

Lights, switches, dimmers, smart plugs and locks.  It would also be nice to be able to group motions, and door sensors to allow multiple devices to trigger rules.  An acceptable alternative would be the ability to select multiple devices and triggers in the rule templates.  

Advanced Member

What Otto said.

Actions: Lights, switches, dimmers, smart plugs and fans.  

Triggers: Motion and Contact Sensors

Advanced Member

I guess this falls under the same feature request, but I think it would be useful to be able to group switches together, so that any one controls them all.

As an example.  I have 5 switches that control various outside lights on my home.  When I come home after sunset and open the garage door, all of the outside lights come on.  When I walk in the house I walk right by one of these switches.  It would be nice if I could just flip it off and they all would go off, the same to turn them on.  

Frequent Contributor

Switches, outlets, plugs and fans for basic household actions. Sensors and smoke detectors, if they can be programmed to operate in concert as Otto said.

Room-by-room grouping is an interesting idea, and would be useful to be able to graphically group devices that way in a web UI, but for just basic group functionality, we could create room-by-room groups ourselves.

I think I can see where they are going with the rooms comment... I believe SmartThings has a rooms concept.  I don't want to be confined to a room concept.  Just give me the ability to group things and call it whatever I want.  

Also if you would just allow us to selected more than one item from the popup list when creating rules it would be extreamly helpful and knock down a 1/3 of the 150ish rules I have.

Frequent Contributor

Allowing more than one selection when an event is triggered would be nice. For example, have a group that includes all lights, siren, video cameras, etc. and when the alarm is triggered turn on everything in that group. 

Having a group of exterior lights that would flash when the alarm is triggered would be nice too. A definitive notification to your neighbors that your alarm is going off.