cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groups

Groups

We need groups back like in V1.  This could save us on having so many rules.  From a rules perspective it could simply be solved by allowing us to check more than one device.  To further this why not let us pick more than one device for the trigger and the target when creating the rule in the V2 app?

groups.JPG

19 Comments
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

We appreciate the ease that this feature would bring to our users. It is something we're currently working on, but currently we don't have an exact timeline for this.

Frequent Contributor

Having relied on groupings with 1st generation Iris, this is driving me crazy with the 2nd generation.  Please bring this back. Please dont limit what kind of devices are in a group, and dont call them rooms. With the 1st generation Iris I had 5 basic groups, 1st floor lights, 2nd floor lights, Outside house lights, landscape lights, water feature pumps. But using the term lights they were were not just switches, some were smart plugs for lamps, some were outdoor modules, which is why the groupings should not be limited to the type of device.

This is probobly my number 1 complaint of Iris since the transition to 2nd generation, and the one item that has me exploring other home automation systems.

What's the status on this? 

Community Manager

Hi,

Lighting groups are still on our radar. We know it is highly desireable and haven't forgotten about it. We've been doing some of the back-end work to support this feature, as well as adding more support for different lighting systems like Hue and others, and hope to have this feature available in a few months. 

-Mike

Wanderer

It is a suggestion that should be (I would think) obvious.

Rules should be organized as follows:

If (list of posible items in trigger group - multiple items could be slected - trigger items should include scenes) (number of triggers required) then wait (time interval) then do (anything that can be done - multiple items could be listed).  This seems like scenes, but is much more flexible.  Also, the do list should include scenes.  Finally, scenes should be able to invoke multiple scenes, and invokation should be recursive.

Thus:

IF ALARM WAIT 5 SECONDS THEN TURN ON LIGHTS (1,3,4,5,6,11) AND RUN CAMERAS (1,2,3,4,7) AND CALL 800-555-1111 AND CALL 800-555-2222 AND TEXT 800-555-1111;

IF ALARM WAIT 4 MINUTES THEN TURN OFF LIGHTS (1,3,4,5,6,11) AND STOP CAMERAS (1,2,3,4,7) AND TURN OFF ALARM;

IF ALARM WAIT 5 MINUTES THEN TURN ON ALARM;

Tinkerer

Almost every "notification" rule has to be duplicated on my system so it goes to my wife and myself.
I also have motion sensors that trigger multiple lights for a period of time, and turn off after a period of time which takes multiple rules. If one motion sensor triggers multiple lights "for a period of time", I have to create a rule for each light. I also have similar rules on contact sensors (door opens, turns on front porch lights and side garage lights)
I would also like to setup a notification to alert me (and my wife) any time any window is opened during a certian time of day, but I just don't have the patience to create this same rule a dozen times for each of us.
I'm sure I have other examples of rules I have had to duplicate where one action triggers multiple devices, but these are just the ones off the top of my head.

Frequent Contributor

what is the status of this suggestion.... it shows as accepted, but is there an expected timeframe to have this go live?

Community Manager
Hi, Nothing on the short-term radar although it is still on our road map. The group functionality built into Alexa and Google Home (if you use either of those for control of your Iris system) can help in the interim. -Mike
Frequent Contributor

This idea shows as being accepted, and it’s been well over a year. Does anyone know the status and an expected implementation date?