cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notify if door not locked, not just when alarm is armed

Notify if door not locked, not just when alarm is armed

I think the subject says it all.  There is a rule now but it will only send a notification if the alarm is on.  I don't use the system as an alarm, but if we leave a door unlocked I would like to know.  So if the door has been unlocked for some amount of time I would like a notification, also the ability to lock it after it has been unlocked for some amount time as well.

I pretty sure I read in the manual for the Kwikset  it has this ability built in, but I think it's like 5 minutes, not sure about the Schlage.  I would like for it to be scheduled.  Set different times for notification or locking depending on time of day.

4 Comments
Advanced Member

Also you should be able to identify an optional contact sensor to detect if it is open or closed so you can have it auto lock after an amount of time but only if the door is actually closed.  That is the problem with the auto lock feature of the Schlage is it will lock automatically but doesn't sense if the door is open or closed first so then it would "lock" and show locked in the app however it will just cause property damage when the door is closed without noticing that the bolt is extended.

Frequent Contributor

We don't normally set the alarm at night when home, and nothing bothers me more then my kid coming home and forgetting to lock the front door.

Frequent Contributor

Becoming 'empty nesters' I would love to have this ability. If door has been closed for X minutes, then lock door. My wife never locks the door when she's home alone (comes from growing up in a small town). 

Advanced Member

I think it was Otto who pointed out that you can add your lock to a scene then use the rule run a scene for When "Door"is "closed" then run "scene".  It doesn't give you an option for how long after the door is closed but at least it will only do it when it is closed and it won't get forgotten unlocked.  I've been using this for a while now and it works almost all of the time.  Occasionally however, the door will get unlocked open and closed very quickly (before Iris gets notified of the unlock) so then it will not auto lock when closed.