cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open API

Open API

I would love to see an open API. This would give a lot of power to the end user if they wanted.

24 Comments
Frequent Contributor

I would agree the price of tablets are low would love to setup my own frontend and use API's to control stuff..  that would give more functions then the keypad..

Community Manager
Status changed to: Logged

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something we have discussed internally and would appreciate more feedback on while we assess. 

An open API is something that may be on the roadmap for Iris, although it's not currently a top priority for the business.

Tinkerer

An open API would be key to getting other devices able to work with Iris, as well as allowing additional help with the development.  Or at least a documented API even.  

i want to add my vote for an open API that would give advanced users more flexibility to do things that just are not available being bound to the current limits of rules. example: i find myself wanting to test the state of a second device before allowing allowing changes to state of a targeted device.

Agree

Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

Changing the status to this suggestion to 'needs info' as we'd like to gather more information on use cases.

Frequent Contributor

Here are a few "off the cuff" ideas:

It would be nice to have access to device list/status.

Use Cases:

• Query how many Iris V2 Contact sensors I have, or how many need batteries.
  • Query if, or how many, windows are open right now, and which ones.

It would be nice to be able to register a web hook, or subscribe to a topic to see events for my places.

Use Cases:

• Build a graphical map of my places that highlights a room on the map when there is motion, or displays which lights are on/off.
  • Allow me to trigger another system when an event occurs (motion, contact, leak, etc.) so for example if Iris detects motion, tell another system that somebody is home.
  • Allow Iris events to trigger rules in other systems that support devices Iris does not support, so for example turning on an Iris switch could also activate some other third-party device at the same time, like wi-fi only products that have APIs.
  • Let me count how often a door or window is opened/closed, cabinet accessed, etc.

It would be nice to allow an external system to be defined as a virtual device and trigger events (contact, motion, safety, security) that could then be used in rules.

Use Cases:

• Third-party cameras that can detect motion trigger Iris cameras to record.
  • Third-party thermostats (like ecobee) can report motion detection.

It would be nice to be able to subscribe to data values so the information could be used by other systems.

Use Cases:

• Subscribe to temperature and/or humidity readings reported by sensors when those readings change.
  • Subscribe to energy usage readings reported by switches and bulbs when those readings change.

It would be nice to allow external system to set/clear presence.

Use Cases:

• Phone app, or other device, that uses geolocation to trigger Home or Away.

It would be nice to be able to query Event History.

Use Cases:

• Current history is useless because of motion detection noise. Would like to be able to query and filter out unwanted info, or see activity just for a group of devices.

It would be nice to be able to set brightness and color for a collection of color bulbs.

Use Cases:

• Custom app to change colors and brightness over time or in response to specific events.
  • Gradually dim or brighten lights over time.
  • Flash/pulse lights in response to external events
  • Change light colors over time, or in response to motion/contact events (i.e. soft blue light for accent, but brighten to full white when motion detected or door opened, and then restore to dimmer soft blue when no motion or door closed).

Tinkerer

+1 for everything mentioned, plus subscribing to triggers or being able to check or set status of home/away and unlocked/armed 

Beginner

Number 1 use case: Reaching parity with version 1. I used the API before all the time to interface with my other home automation systems (mainly UBP light switches). It allowed me to trigger actions with my light switches (controlled through my homeseer or OpenHAB server) based on various Iris sensors firing. At this point, I have to resort to crude email listeners to wait for an email to be sent from the iris system to my email address to trigger the events in question. With an API, it allows for a much more seamless interface and experience. If for no other reason, the API should be be created to allow better interfacing with non-Iris systems. There is so much fragmentation in the home automation space right now, and companies are realizing that and working to interface with each other better. If Iris can't do that, or make the platform exstensible enough for people to create their own custom integrations, then they are dead in the water.

Beginner

Also, working in the insurance industry, and looking at ways to use smarthome hubs in loss mitigation (i.e. - leak detection, water shutoff, smoke detection, intrusion detection), we were very seriously interested in using Iris as the system for our insureds. That was with version 1. When version 2 was released, however, that all changed. The absolute main reason that was the case was that the API was scrapped from V1. There were a couple data analytics calls that we were looking at and planning to implement that relied on that API. With that hit, we started looking elsewhare and are now developing a system based on SmartThings. Lowe's draconian stance on an API and an open ecosystem for the Iris platform has lost them a fair amount of potential business, from homeowners to businesses alike. Hopefully, they are now realizing this and will begin to open the platform back up.