cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature and Energy Usage Plots - Like Version 1.0

Temperature and Energy Usage Plots - Like Version 1.0

Could we get temperature plots and energy plots back like we had with the  previous version? I used them all the time and really miss them. Also, please restore the Web interface, my old eyes really struggle with the app interface, and it's much more convenient for me to access it from the computer as that's where I spend my time.

thanks

86 Comments
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

Re-introducing energy monitoring isn't something we're working on currently. According to our metrics on V1, we didn't see widespread adoption of this feature set. However, we would appreciate use cases for temperature graphing.

Frequent Contributor

Aeotec's support is great and helps get this device (DSB28-ZWUS Home Energy Meter 2E) working with SmartThings, Vera, GoControl, etc.  The thing I loved about this monitor and Iris V1 is it worked right out of the box.  The delay must be on the Lowes side getting the power monitoring functionality back.  In fact I haven't seen much added to the Iris app at all over the past 4 months.  Just a terrible outage messing up my devices and regular news of pro monitoring which is not something a majority of the poeple I am talking to are interested in.  Is this a smart home system first, or a security system first?

Advanced Member

So I have a useless Aeon Labs energy monitor now.  A device IrisByLowes recommeded BTW. Well you at least finally said somethign one way or the other.

I have one of the aeotec monitors and it's hooked up to my house but still isn't reporting anything, this is a parity item from v1.  We don't need anything fancy here we just want what we already bought to work again.  Don't over think it Lowe's. 

Yep, sounds like there are no plans to add support for devices we bought for v1 that are now paper weights.  It's the principal of it.  Don't over think it just add back Aeotec support, report the energy usage.  We don't want some advanced monitoring, no need to boil the ocean.  It's the small things that count.

Frequent Contributor

Well, please add me to your "metrics." I'm a 100+ device customer that bought the Blue Line Innovations energy monitoring set-up to work with IRIS during the transition from V1 to V2. I was still on V1 at the time, and could never locate the software to make it work with my meter before the transition. Regardless, I'm extremely interested in being able to monitor my power usage on a whole-house level, and ready to invest in IRIS-compatible devices that would do so. I think you'll find a high correlation of interest between folks interested in smart home tools and those interested in energy efficiency tools.  Please re-think your position.

Advanced Member

"However, we would appreciate use cases for temperature graphing."

I have a small heater in my bathroom that runs during the winter I would like to see a graph of how the temp is changing when it comes on in the mornings.

I also have a contact sensor on the inside of an entertainmnet center so I can watch how hot it is getting when I start using AV equipment.

In V1 I was constantly  looking at temp graphs for various rooms around my house.  Wanted to see how the HVAC unit was working throughout the house.

Frequent Contributor

I keep a contact sensor in my Garage to monitor the temperature there and alert me if it gets below 30F so we can move any perishable items to the basement. It would be nice to see the temperature charted thoughout the day and month to see what kind of variations things are exposed to.

Ideally, I would love to be able to configure a web hook for each temperature capable device so that any time it reports a new temperature value Iris would post the name of the device, timestamp, and the temperature reading to another service, like IFTTT or Google docs.  Then we could manage storage and charting of the data ourselves.

Advanced Member

I posted the same request in the bug section a while back.  Since they did not have a parity section I felt it was a bug, since it was something I had with V1.  From a response by Iris made in the feature request for energy graphing it appears not enough people used it and they don't think it is worth the effort to include it.

By Iris

"Re-introducing energy monitoring isn't something we're working on currently. According to our metrics on V1, we didn't see widespread adoption of this feature set."

Frequent Contributor

Well, I'm still hopeful. They just said that they are not working on it "currently", not that they never plan to do it. I assume that right now they are probably focusing on things that will be a benefit to a larger audience (like the web UI they are currently working on), and even though I have an Aeotec Energy Monitoring device I am willing to wait while they get the web UI available, and Professional Monitoring as well. It's unfortunate that it seems a small percentage of us are interested in Energy Montioring at the moment, but it sounds like that's just the way it is and we are going to have to wait a while longer. I do hope they still provide support for it eventually however.