cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Gen Hub and Devices

3rd Gen Hub and Devices

Spotted some 3rd Gen Devices and a new round 3rd Gen Hub in the wild!

I wish the Iris powers that be would tell us customers, before the inventory is removed and new products are put out without some info on what is going on.  Customer service would divulge details but I did get a release date ............ "about Oct 16th"

IMG_20181007_154522.jpg

IMG_20181007_154817.jpg

10 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: 3rd Gen Hub and Devices

Some stores jumped the gun a bit on putting the new v3 invesntory out. A bit like showing off the presents before Christmas morning so to speak. 

We are making some final tweaks to the Iris system to make everything ready for v3 and there will be announcements with much more detail coming exremely soon.

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

MikeS - Why not let the community know? or have a little sneak peak? You all have neglected this community for some time now. No updates about the system since August, and then the information is sporadic and incomplete. 

I for example have bee with you all for a while throught the v1 to v2 fiasco - and was an early adopter to pro monitoring... I have spent countless hours on the phone with you all trouble shooting my system, and have not spoken ill of Iris here or elsewhere... I think the community deserves better than "an anouncement is coming soon"! 

We have questions and DESERVE answers:

1) Are V2 hub owners going to be upgraded to V3 hubs? 

a) what is the difrence in hubs?

b) Will our currrent Cellular back up work with V3?

c) What justifies the price jump of $40

2) are V3 sensors going to be backwards compatible to V2 hubs?

3) are our V2 hubs going to be obsolete now?

Frequent Contributor

Or...

I just called Customer Service and asked those questions as I am sure MikeS will not. For those interested:

The Hub now has wifi built in.

The Hub talks like the V1 hub did and according to CS Rep. you can talk to it like the Alexa or Google Home devices.

The Cellular backup modem will work.

They also informed me that V2 will work with the NEW V3 devices and that V2 owners will not be upgraded to the new hub. 

New Camera, Smart plugs, and other devices but was told they were WIFI only?

Tinkerer

I really hope V1 devices are still supported with the V3 hub.
Support for my old devices is the only reason I've stuck with iris. If there is no upgrade path I might as well jump to SmartThings so I can get integration with harmony and IFTTT, allowing me to connect all the pieces of my smart home together. This is apparently never going to happen with iris.
If there is no upgrade path for me, it may be time to go ahead and jump ship.

Tinkerer

It's also interesting to note that, from these early images, there doesn't appear to be any lowes branding.
Kinda makes you wonder if they are preparing for an accuisition (or at least having that as an option in the future).
Honestly, I think if they could put the V1-V2 migration bumps behind them, and V3 migration goes more smoothly, they have built a brand that could work really well if it split off from Lowes eventually.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with you on the upgrade path. IFTTT for me is the one thing Iris needs as they can't seem to get things to work as they should on their end, perhaps IFTTT rules could fix their shortcomings on our end. I don't know...

as far as smart things is concerned; I have A few devices that are "dual enrolled" sorta, and with the smart things I do get some random disconnects.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi guys,

Wanted to answer a few more of the questions that have popped up here....

v1 devices will pair and operate with the v3 hub same as they do with the v2 hub - in fact all devices that currently work with Iris will work with the new hub same as they do with the v2 hub today.

There will be a firmware update to the v2 hubs soon that will enable you to pair v3 devices with the v2 hub in case you want some of the new devices without upgrading hubs.

Along with the new hub, there's going to be new Zigbee keypads, contact sensors, motion sensors, and smart plugs. There's also new Wi-Fi cameras, and Wi-Fi indoor and outdoor smart plugs coming.

Look forward to announcements in the near future with a lot more detail :-)

-Mike

Tinkerer

@rlowery78 wrote:

I agree with you on the upgrade path. IFTTT for me is the one thing Iris needs as they can't seem to get things to work as they should on their end, perhaps IFTTT rules could fix their shortcomings on our end. I don't know...

as far as smart things is concerned; I have A few devices that are "dual enrolled" sorta, and with the smart things I do get some random disconnects.

I don't have much issues with things "not working as they should". My biggest issue with the lack of IFTTT support is that Iris will never be able to integrate directly with the sheer number of devices supported in IFTTT. I don't see it as a replacement for direct integration, but rather an alternative way to integrate with hundreds of niche services that would never otherwise be possible. We see a handfull of new integrations a year (at best), but simply enabling support for IFTTT would open up integration with HUNDREDS of devices and services all at one time. (The last account I had, IFTTT was integrated with over 300 services and growing).
Its a standard integration with almost every smart device platform out there and it just seems absolutely crazy that any smart home brand would not have support for IFTTT.

Frequent Contributor

Its nice to see new stuff coming soon, but more importantly seeing that there are acually products on the shelves, like what is shown in these pictures.  None of the stores in OKC and surrounding areas have that amount of stock. when visiting 3 different stores in the last two weeks and over the last year, none of the stores had hardly any stock. No door or motion sensors, keypads, key fobs, smart buttons, basically nothing in stock. This has been this way for months. If the stores are going to sell the items then they need to have somewhat of a stock on the shelves. Whenever I visit a store, that is the first place I look. Hopefully this can be fixed. It's rough when I have to put 300-400 miles on my vehicle on any given day driving from store to store to find something for my system. And recently found that the stores might say they have in stock only to find they don't or is being held for someone else.