cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any other lighting options besides the light switches?

Frequent Contributor

Any other lighting options besides the light switches?

Hello community/Iris,

I bought a couple GE smart light switches only to find out my 70 year old home doesn’t have the correct wiring required by the GE switch. So I have determined that most likely my best method for controlling lighting is to get smart bulbs. However, the only products I see supported by Iris are either GE switches or Lutron smart switches. Are there any other smart bulb options besides the single Sylvania bulb that works with Iris? Do any of the Phillips bulbs work? Either a smart bulb or a motorized switch cover would be the only options for me to control my lights. I would be disappointed if Iris only supports smart switches. Someone know the answer to this?
4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Advanced Member

Re: Any other lighting options besides the light switches?

I just bought a motorized Reality switch, see this thread, that I am going to try on Iris.  It works great on smartthings, so if it doesn't work, I will put it on a switch in the house and connect it to smartthings.  

The other switch mentioned in the linked thread is a Z-wave version, I would try it as well, but it is limited to none ganged switches if I read it correctly.  The Reality switch can fit on a ganged switch box with no issues.  I have three of them now I use on smartthings and they work great, as I have the same issue as you in my house.  I think I am going to have some runs re-wired so I can use smart switches but in some places I will just use these.

Frequent Contributor

Please do let me know if that Realty switch works with Iris.

Tinkerer

You can use Hue bulbs or Lutron switches.  But both require you to use their hub and link the accounts to Iris.  The Lutron switches advertise not requiring a neutral wire.

I use the Hue bulbs in several places, even using an Iris motion sensor to control a couple and an Iris contact sensor to control others.  All of my scheduling is through Iris, and I rarely even open the Hue app.

I don't have any experience with the Lutron stuff, just providing the info based on their advertising.

Tinkerer

The Osram Lightify bulbs pair with the Iris hub and no additional bridge is needed to pair them with the Iris hub like the Hue and Lutron lights. They are also substantially cheaper than those mentioned but unfortunetly eBay is the only place I can find them. Sylvania also has a flood light that can directly connect as well. These bulbs can be turned on, off or dimmed. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xosram+li.T...