cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity Range Issues

Frequent Contributor

Connectivity Range Issues

I have two GE Smart Dimmer switches, and one standard GE switch that are all connected to Iris. The dimmer switches are recently added, while the standard switch has been used for quite a while. As of recent, I'm experiencing them disconnecting frequently, as well as a Osram smart lightbulb. The three in-wall switches have a direct line-of-sight to the Iris hub and are about 20 feet away. I've rebuilt the Z-Wave network, unpaired, repaired, etc., but I'm still getting the same results.

Has anyone had this issue? I was under the impression that certain devices strengthed the connection to Iris? I can't imagine that everyone that has Iris has devices within a 20 foot range.. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Advanced Member

Re: Connectivity Range Issues

The OSRAM Smart Bulbs had an issue with an earlier firmware where they would loose connection and since they are 120 volt they repeat the signal as well I beleive so when they loose connection anything routing through them would loose connection as well.  I bought a OSRAM hub to update the firmware on my bulbs and they have been stable since.  It might be worth trying to remove that bulb for a while at least to see if that helps.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Frequent Contributor

I will try that this evening and post back my results. One strange thing that I noticed about the GE switches, as I have others.. Typically, when the switch is turned off, the blue LED indicator is lit, and off when the switch is turned on. But one some of the three GE switches I'm referring to, it's reversed, whereas the blue LED indicator is lit when the switch is turned on and off when switch is turned off. Not sure what to make of that, if anything.

Highlighted
Advanced Member

@scsh4 wrote:

I will try that this evening and post back my results. One strange thing that I noticed about the GE switches, as I have others.. Typically, when the switch is turned off, the blue LED indicator is lit, and off when the switch is turned on. But one some of the three GE switches I'm referring to, it's reversed, whereas the blue LED indicator is lit when the switch is turned on and off when switch is turned off. Not sure what to make of that, if anything.

Changing the LED is configurable, although Iris does not give you a easy means to do it.  There is a manual  procedure you can use on the switch to change the LED comes behavior.  Here is the thread where I requested the feature over a year ago. Read through this thread the manual procedure is posted in there.

Also one user called support and they were able to change the LED behavior for them