cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE Z-Wave Fan Switch compatible with Google Assistant?

exo
Rookie

GE Z-Wave Fan Switch compatible with Google Assistant?

I've just installed a GE Z-Wave Fan Switch in my living room. I have my Iris account linked to my Google Home account, which allows me to access all of my lights and such over there. When I setup my fan switch I also added a new light switch at the time. The light switch automatically imported to google, but I never saw the fan switch pop up.  However, I've noticed Iris puts my fan switch under "climate", and the other thing I have under climate (my thermostat) doesn't import into google either.  

So is the fan Switch not currently compatible? I can't see any other options to link to it unfortunately.

Luckily my thermostat uses honeywell's website, and I can link through them to gain access to it. But this brings up the question, if Google can access my thermostat through honeywell's website, then why can't it access it through Iris? I presume the answer to that also answers why Google can't access my fan switch.

Any insight or clariication on this would be appreciated. I had hoped to add fan switches to the rest of my house, however if google can't access them then I suppose I'll wait.

2 REPLIES 2
Rookie

Re: GE Z-Wave Fan Switch compatible with Google Assistant?

I would also like to know about this. I have the same thing, connected to Iris, doesn't show up in Google Home. I do have them linked and can see the smart plug I installed through Iris on Home but not the fan controls.

Re: GE Z-Wave Fan Switch compatible with Google Assistant?

I contacted Google Home support regarding this exact issue. The answers were not very clear. I was sent a link that told me absolutely nothing. I was told that Iris sees the fan switch as a light, which was wong. My Iris app clearly sees it as a fan controller and is also listed under climate. Then I was told that the fan switch is not compatible with Google Home. So it doesn't appear in the Google home app and cannot be controlled by speaking commands to Google Home devices. I did attempt tp pair the fan swith to Samsung SmartThings. It works, but not correctly. When using the SmartThings app, the fan will either come on at medium or high speeds. Mine does not go to the low setting. When paired with SmartThings, the Google Home app now sees the fan controller, but as a light dimmer. You can speak commands to it, but they have to be in percentages like you were dimming a light bulb. And when Google Home devices respond, they say somehting like "setting fan to 50% brightness"