cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hunter Fan with GE Fan Switch

Frequent Contributor

Hunter Fan with GE Fan Switch

Does anyone have any experience with using a Hunter fan with a GE Fan Switch? It works fine while on but as soon as I shut it off via Iris app or website the fan cannot be turned back on unless I use the remote. I would like to have the ability to turn it both on and off by Iris. Anyone else have this issue or, better yet, a solution?!!

Thanks!
13 REPLIES
Advanced Member

Re: Hunter Fan with GE Fan Switch

I believe you would need to remove the fan remote unit from under the hood so it is wired directly to the switch in order to control it corrctly via that switch, however do you have both a fan and light wire running to the fan or just one hot wire?

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Advanced Member

I have a Hunter fan that came with a separate remote and I did exactly what Terk said and left the remote kit off. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you! That makes sense. Now just to take the fan down and take the kit off....the hubby was real excited to hear this solution!! All good! I will have him figure it out as we do have a light as well but we don’t use it. I appreciate your quick response!
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Smiley Wink
Advanced Member

You're welcome, my fan came with a light kit as well and I opted not to use it.

Frequent Contributor

We plan to remove it as well. Great idea since we don’t use it at all. Thanks again!
Beginner

Why don't they make a fan module that will work with iris??? Ac comes on ceiling fan runs high...ac turns off ceiling fan turns off or low speed. Turn on ceiling fan lights remotely when door contact actives....smh I just don't understand. I have a simple on/off light switch with pull chains for the speed and light. It used to have a remote with a module in the fan that stopped working. Why cant they make a module for iris that works the same as that handheld remote module did???
Highlighted
Tinkerer

I have two fans (Altura 56 and 68 in. Indoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan) that came with wireless remotes. Install the GE zwave fan switch and set the fan to high (3) on the remote that came with the fan. You can now manipulate the fan speed from the GE switch, the Iris app or Alexa. I have my light kit wired separately so I can run the lights even if the fan is off. I have Hue bulbs installed that have Rules linked to a motion sensor. I also have the bulbs linked to a portable Hue dimmer switch. I can manipulate the lights through the Iris app, motion sensor rules, Hue dimmer switch, or Alexa.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for responding NOLA. That is correct. I do have to do that for it to work. Have you tried shutting it off completely from Iris and then trying to turn it back on again via the Iris app? Doesn’t work for me! I have to open Iris app, set app to high speed, press 3 on the remote and then I’m abke to control it until the next time I turn it off. Crazy huh?!!

Just need to take this down and remove the kit. Easier said than done when you’re not the one doing it! Still waiting.....lol!