cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep your V1 contact sensors!

Frequent Contributor

Keep your V1 contact sensors!

Hello,

After i have finally vented enough at Lowes shutting down Iris with little notice, i am moving on to better pastures, as we all are now without a choice. Here is my question. I have a lot of v1 Door/Window Sensors (175+) and dozens of Motion Sensors (about 90 according to my refund from Lowes). Here is my question/Dilemma. I am looking for a door/window sensors that also reports temperature and is zigbee. I am hoping systronics can revive my sensors when Lowes shuts down, but i rather ask for options if i need to go out and buy 175+ door/window sensors. Smartthings looks interesting, but i am open to other suggestions. Does anyone have suggestions on a cheap door/window sensor with temperature built in?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Keep your V1 contact sensors!

Did you check out this site ? http://arcussmarthome.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

Yes that is the FIRST place a look, then i checked the livingwithiris forum, then i checked here. i dont see any of those locations which tell me which door/window sensors have tempature built into them. and only Systronics supports the V1 door sensors (unless there is a solution which i missed)

Frequent Contributor

The smartthings door/window sensors definitely report temperature.  I am not advocating them, but I do have a ST system in my vacation home, with motion sensors reporting temps, as well as the moisture sensor reporting temps.  It seems to me they are definitely not cheap, though.

Tinkerer

@thegillion wrote:

Did you check out this site ? http://arcussmarthome.com/

@thegillion 

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to attempt to maintain some of this old gear too..  

I have mostly v1 sensors and cams..   a few other devices..  water detector, obit for the garden in the summer time etc.

I've looked at your link for Arcus..   you have many options listed there, but no one of them appear to support all of the equipment.

I'm trying to figure out if, once the source code is available, what exactly are we looking at?   Will we be able to use this same hub and any of this gear??   Like all in 1 package (app) etc.  with most of the same functionality?  Or will we have to invent a mix/match to achieve the same functionality?  (rules, etc)

I'm not specifically a coder, but I am an automation guy..   I envision that we might need to stand up a server (at minimum)

Can you offer more of a clue as to what we're looking at before I toss in the towel and try to start over?

It would be awesome if there was a way to export our current configuration, rules etc..  so as to have them as a starting point if we opt to go open source..   or is that just not gonna happen?

Thanks in Advance,

JoeK

Tinkerer

/www.systronicsrf.com

Systronics RF looks as tho it has serious potential.. 

Advanced Member

You can still buy the Iris V2 door/window sensors on Amazon they are some of the best I've tried, I haven't been impressed by SmartThings sensors due to some flackiness on a few where it would say the door opened/closed multiple times per hour, between re-pairing it and it happened on more than one sensor, never had that with any of my Iris ones.  Either way they both have temperature sensors and the SmartThings ones also have vibration sensors (Tampor) if that is of interest.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

You can still buy the Iris V2 door/window sensors on Amazon they are some of the best I've tried, I haven't been impressed by SmartThings sensors due to some flackiness on a few where it would say the door opened/closed multiple times per hour, between re-pairing it and it happened on more than one sensor, never had that with any of my Iris ones.  Either way they both have temperature sensors and the SmartThings ones also have vibration sensors (Tampor) if that is of interest.

Thank you @Terk 

I had so many of the v1 sensors that worked so good for me I never purchased the v2..   but this is good to know assuming they'll be available for a while elsewhere (for a short time probably)   I do have a mix of v1 and v2 smart plugs..  at least enought v2 to get started with a new system..    Wink also seems appealling, but I haven't had a chance to compare Wink to SmartThings..   I think Wink is free, at least on a limited setup..

I'm still trying to find an option for all the v1 cams..    seems hard to just pitch them all..  (esp the 3 I didn't get anything for since they were  unpaired on 1/31 and new in the box..  but beyond 90 days)

Advanced Member

@DogDaze wrote:

@Terk wrote:

Thank you @Terk 

I had so many of the v1 sensors that worked so good for me I never purchased the v2..   but this is good to know assuming they'll be available for a while elsewhere (for a short time probably)   I do have a mix of v1 and v2 smart plugs..  at least enought v2 to get started with a new system..    Wink also seems appealling, but I haven't had a chance to compare Wink to SmartThings..   I think Wink is free, at least on a limited setup..

I'm still trying to find an option for all the v1 cams..    seems hard to just pitch them all..  (esp the 3 I didn't get anything for since they were  unpaired on 1/31 and new in the box..  but beyond 90 days)

SmartThings is also free unless you want the ADT monitoring.  SmartThings camera capabilities are about the same as Iris's both are very limited.  The Iris cameras will be more challenging to reset up if you have to after the Iris platform goes away but they can be made to work somewhat in SmartThings (Live view and snapshot, I never did get video recording to work from Iris cameras during an alarm event so I left them on my Iris system)

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

@DogDaze wrote:

@Terk wrote:

Thank you @Terk 

SmartThings is also free unless you want the ADT monitoring.  SmartThings camera capabilities are about the same as Iris's both are very limited.  The Iris cameras will be more challenging to reset up if you have to after the Iris platform goes away but they can be made to work somewhat in SmartThings (Live view and snapshot, I never did get video recording to work from Iris cameras during an alarm event so I left them on my Iris system)

ah, thank you for the information..  good to know that they will actually connect up to SmartThings if needed tho..  at least until I can get around to researching and finding others to replace the ones we have now..    naturally, getting up on a ladder in the middle of a CLE winter is not what I had in mind..   (another reason, I've pleaded for more than just 2 months notice)

Not to mentnion, the holes, the wiring, the setup time etc..   I've always had to setup close to the hub, or had to walk the hub in my GE Light Swith (Zwave failure)   I ultimately had to take them all back out and get the ZigBee switches..  which worked much better for me with the Iris Hub..    I liked the energy monitoring feature of the ZigBee better too..   nice to know when some lightes are turned on..  (send notifications etc.)