cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need hub data usage figures

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Need hub data usage figures

I’m planning to use IRIS at a vacation place which does not have broadband internet, so I plan to use a mobile internet router.  I want to get SIM card with a minimal data allowance sufficient to run the hub, so I need to know IRIS data requirements:

• How much data does the hub transmit while sitting idle (I assume it should be very small)
  • How large each firmware update is, and how often it gets pushed

I hope an IRIS member can give me a good answer, since it’s hard to estimate for a regular user, unless you connect the hub to a dedicated router which provides data consumption measurements.

7 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Need hub data usage figures

Hi,

Hub FWs are about 70 MB in size. These get pushed fairly rarely, an average of 3-6 times a year.

Other then that, the amount of data transmitted is very minimal and will vary based on the number of devices you have. The hub maintains a websocket connection to the cloud platform and as devices report status changes, a small amount of data (few kilobytes at a time) is transmitted. The total amount can vary but we're talking a few MB a day total under normal circumstances and it may be much less.

You didn't mention if you have cameras, but those obviously will use data for streaming and uploading recordings, the amount depends on the stream quality you choose.

-Mike

Frequent Contributor

Thank you @MikeS, that is very helpful and exactly the asnwer I was looking for.  That means that a 100-200MB per month plan would be more than enough to keep it running.

Just a curious follow up question, I don't suppose I could cut the IRIS cord entirely and use the IRIS modem and cellular plan to keep it running all the time, could I?  I remember reading that IRIS cellular connection is very limited and intended for temporary backup only, is that correct? 

And yes, I omitted the cameras from the equation for now, and I will have to estimate that separately.  Obviously for this use case, streaming on-demand and on-motion only should be used to conserve bandwidth.

Advanced Member

I have 180+ devices on my system which includes 8 Iris cameras along with 116 rules and 17 scenes.  On average my hub transmits 166 MB per day and downloads 55 MB per day.  An Iris camera with an Image quality of 1280x720 at 15 FPS transmits 5-6 MB a day while sitting idle.  I'm using the free plan so I am not downloading video via Iris, but I can see that video is still being uploaded.

Community Manager

100-200 MB a month would be the bottom end of usage for a hub with a few devices. Because you are relying on this as the only connection I would consider "budgeting" for a bit more til you get a good handle on what the real world use is for your particular installation. 

-Mike

Advanced Member

I should clarify my response.  My cameras are still sending data to Iris at the rate of 5-6 MB a day, but I don't believe this is video feed.  I am using a third party app to record my video feed so I only have my Iris cameras configured as motion sensors within Iris. 

Frequent Contributor

Would like to hear if you got something up and running. I have a very similar situation and would love to save some $$$ over the winter months by going this route. Interested in how your pay as you go is working out and if you are having any issues. 

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Better yet. Why not give us a IRIS cellular option instead of just a 7 day backup option? Im sure there are many users that have vacation homes, cabins or Rv's at camp sites that would love to be able to monitor them but don't want to pay the high cost of cable/internet while they are not there. Same theory as a pay as you go non contract hotspot plan. Maybe a Basic plan for a system with contact sensors and motion sensors and a Premium plan for a system that includes cameras.