cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

I'm just curious..

for those moving on to SmartThings so as to use as much of the existing (v2 Iris) compatable devices..

What are you thinking of for camera options with SmartThings?

Will any of the Iris cams work (at all) with SmartThings?

Does SmartThings host the video in the cloud like Iris did?   Or is that on us to host and manage now?
Or the camera's we choose to use? 

I liked that I could trigger off the camera's motion sensor for the recordings, notifications or pretty much anything with Iris..

Will SmartThings allow for the same?

Any recomendations for which cameras work the best with SmartThings would be apprecited..

Thanks in Advance..

Tinkerer

I currently have some of the arlo battery powered cameras and are adding some Arlo Q cameras (plug in).

They all allow the motion sensor on the camera to trigger other actions and such in SmartThings. Images are stored on Arlo's cloud.
Tinkerer

I have completely migrated to SmartThings. My experience is that all of my iris branded devices have paired and work as expected except the "wifi smartplugs" and the cameras. User "thegillion" has a post on how to force the cameras to upload to an FTP server but not sure if that helps you. 

1) Motion and Contact sensors paired quickly and without issue to smartthings and report /ork quicker than they ever did in IRIS system. 

2) Smartplugs will pair quickly with the zigbee side of things but needs a little tinkering for the zwave repeater/range extender to pair. I struggled for a while untill I placed the plug directly beside of the hub and with it in "zwave" pairing mode toggled the power buton on and off untill it paired. See this link concerning the plug:  Iris Smart Plug

3) The keypads also work but will also require some tinkering. Not my video but has a link to the thread on making the keypad work. youtube video of iris keypad with smartthings

I was able to get the keypads to arm my alarm system, disarm my alarm system, open garage doors, unlock doors, turn on lights - the possibilitys are endless!!!

4) My garage door controller works better than ever - and I can use my or the wife's phone as a proximity sensors that disarm the alarm and opens the garage just as we are arriving at home! 

5) Geofence/proximity sensors - the iris keyfobs pair and work fine but your phone also works as a proximity sensor - turn on/off lights - lock unlock doors all based on who is home, or not! LOVE THIS FEATURE!

6) My 3rd party devices all work better than ever - no more random drops of lightify bulbs - You can create groups, make all of your color bulbs be the same color based on a single bulb - again the possibilities!!! I have zwave door locks - zwave wall switches - lightifiy lights - First alert smoke and CO2 AND... the list goes on. 

7) IFTTT integration will open up more possibilities and have read that several "non officially supported" camera systems will work with the system even as far as triggering motion activated rules etc... (I am thinking about the Blink Cameras - I am not going to pay for BlueIris to make the iris cameras work (I think they are garbage when compared to other cameras available - we have 3 currently) 

8) There is security monitoring available outside of ADT  for a more reasonable fee. We will probably use Scout. 

I am probably forgetting stuff but I think you get the picture... I bought the smartthings hub on Monday evening (is wifi or wired) and have my system up and running better than I ever had with Iris in 4 days. I am excited about the tweak ability and customization that is possible! I am going to finally be able to use an old tablet as a touch screen "smart home control panel"...

I will miss IRIS we had definitely bought into the system! I will miss the simple-ish user interface and monitoring but beyond that, I wish I had gone to smarthings after the V1 to V2 fiasco!

Tinkerer

Has anyone seen any options for reusing the WIFI  smart plugs?  I have a couple of them and would like to reuse if possible.  Thanks.

Advanced Member

I have moved completely to SmartThings.  I have 5 Arlo Q + PoE cameras inside that get disarmed when ST changes to Home and Armed when ST changes to away (using IFTTT rather than ST direct integration because I didn't use the ST Integration options anyway as their camera support lacks features).  I also have 8 Dahua PoE cameras outside that are recorded 24/7 by a Blue Iris server with alerting only when ST is in Away mode.  The Iris cameras will work with the Blue Iris server if you wanted to go that route.  ST will host the videos in the cloud depending on the cameras you choose, Arlo also hosts 7 days of recordings on up to 5 cameras for free in their cloud.  The Blue Iris server software is a on time cost of $60 and requires your own Windows machine to run it on (it is CPU intensive so you'd want a dedicated machine with a lot of HDD space depending on your recording policy and how long you want the recordings to stay on the server before being overwritten.  If you want full ST integration I'd go with Arlo cameras however you can trigger Blue Iris controled cameras simularily it just takes more setup in the SmartThings Classic app with the BI Fusion 3.0 community app installed.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

I have moved completely to SmartThings.  I have 5 Arlo Q + PoE cameras inside that get disarmed when ST changes to Home and Armed when ST changes to away (using IFTTT rather than ST direct integration because I didn't use the ST Integration options anyway as their camera support lacks features).  I also have 8 Dahua PoE cameras outside that are recorded 24/7 by a Blue Iris server with alerting only when ST is in Away mode.  The Iris cameras will work with the Blue Iris server if you wanted to go that route.  ST will host the videos in the cloud depending on the cameras you choose, Arlo also hosts 7 days of recordings on up to 5 cameras for free in their cloud.  The Blue Iris server software is a on time cost of $60 and requires your own Windows machine to run it on (it is CPU intensive so you'd want a dedicated machine with a lot of HDD space depending on your recording policy and how long you want the recordings to stay on the server before being overwritten.  If you want full ST integration I'd go with Arlo cameras however you can trigger Blue Iris controled cameras simularily it just takes more setup in the SmartThings Classic app with the BI Fusion 3.0 community app installed.

Hi @Terk 

Thank you for the info...    I see a bit more work to setup..  but will end up giving it a whirl..  Once I setup a PC to handle the BlueIris setup..     I assume that it could even  be a Virtual Image...   assuming the Host Can handle the VM.

Thanks Again,

Tinkerer

Thank you @Shanapadilla 

Is the Arlo Cloud free or is there a monthy fee of some sort?

Can you view the cameras from the ST app?

Tinkerer

@rlowery78 wrote:

I have completely migrated to SmartThings. My experience is that all of my iris branded devices have paired and work as expected except the "wifi smartplugs" and the cameras. User "thegillion" has a post on how to force the cameras to upload to an FTP server but not sure if that helps you. 

1) Motion and Contact sensors paired quickly and without issue to smartthings and report /ork quicker than they ever did in IRIS system. 

2) Smartplugs will pair quickly with the zigbee side of things but needs a little tinkering for the zwave repeater/range extender to pair. I struggled for a while untill I placed the plug directly beside of the hub and with it in "zwave" pairing mode toggled the power buton on and off untill it paired. See this link concerning the plug:  Iris Smart Plug

3) The keypads also work but will also require some tinkering. Not my video but has a link to the thread on making the keypad work. youtube video of iris keypad with smartthings

I was able to get the keypads to arm my alarm system, disarm my alarm system, open garage doors, unlock doors, turn on lights - the possibilitys are endless!!!

4) My garage door controller works better than ever - and I can use my or the wife's phone as a proximity sensors that disarm the alarm and opens the garage just as we are arriving at home! 

5) Geofence/proximity sensors - the iris keyfobs pair and work fine but your phone also works as a proximity sensor - turn on/off lights - lock unlock doors all based on who is home, or not! LOVE THIS FEATURE!

6) My 3rd party devices all work better than ever - no more random drops of lightify bulbs - You can create groups, make all of your color bulbs be the same color based on a single bulb - again the possibilities!!! I have zwave door locks - zwave wall switches - lightifiy lights - First alert smoke and CO2 AND... the list goes on. 

7) IFTTT integration will open up more possibilities and have read that several "non officially supported" camera systems will work with the system even as far as triggering motion activated rules etc... (I am thinking about the Blink Cameras - I am not going to pay for BlueIris to make the iris cameras work (I think they are garbage when compared to other cameras available - we have 3 currently) 

8) There is security monitoring available outside of ADT  for a more reasonable fee. We will probably use Scout. 

I am probably forgetting stuff but I think you get the picture... I bought the smartthings hub on Monday evening (is wifi or wired) and have my system up and running better than I ever had with Iris in 4 days. I am excited about the tweak ability and customization that is possible! I am going to finally be able to use an old tablet as a touch screen "smart home control panel"...

I will miss IRIS we had definitely bought into the system! I will miss the simple-ish user interface and monitoring but beyond that, I wish I had gone to smarthings after the V1 to V2 fiasco!

Thank You @rlowery78  for the detailed information.

Did you purchase the v3 ST Hub or the v2 Hub?

I did some research on that, and was leaning towards the v3 Hub (since obviously newer) but it lacked the battery backup option I relied on with Iris to let me know power was out at home.   (while the router was still up on backup battery)

So, I opted for the v2 ST Hub..   I believe that it's capable pretty much everything the v3 Hub is for my use.

I hope not a mistake with that since it even cost a few $$ more.

Thanks for the info on the Keypad and other devices..   I've got the v2 ST hub already and anxious to get started..

but have to wait until we get back from a business trip..   we have pets at home along with the (10) camera's and I don't want to disrupt the Iris until we get back..   have to be able to check in on the pets and know when the pet sitters come and go.

I had 3 brand new Iris cams set back for our second home..  (when we finally purchase)   I wish I'd had had them paired prior to 1/31..   as it stands, I put them online (per Iris) and then find out they had a $300 MAX on the devices paired after 1/31.

But at least they got their Firmware update..    as I have no idea if they'd have gotten them afterwards or not.   Assuming they don't all brick on 3/31 at midnight now..   (lol)

I'm gonna miss everyone here..   I wonder if they'll drop this user forum after 3/31 as well.

Thanks Again

Joe

Highlighted
Advanced Member

@DogDaze Arlo's hosting service allows 7 days of recordings on up to 5 cameras for free in their cloud.  Blue Iris could be run on a Virtual machine however youd likely be able to get far more cameras recording at once if it were installed on its own machine as it could take advantage of the video cards GPU as long as your video card is supported by offloading some of the processing from the processors.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

With the new Kasa cameras on the horizon, I'm leaning towards those for video, ST for my V2 sensors, Smoke/C02