cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

@DogDaze  I purchased the V3 hub. Was what was available at my local BB. I will miss the battery backup and the alerts about power outages. With as many Iris cams as you have, It might be worth your while to build a server with lots of storage! That is more time and money than I am willing to commit to these cameras currently. I will most likely purchase the Blink cameras and use IFTTTT for integration or perhaps the Arlo Q.

Rookie

Good news first most of the things I have on IRIS here in my Colorado home have been sucessfully migrated to the Samsung Smarthings platform, just took a little time. Now for the bad news, the other house where I use IRIS is on a lake in Massachusetts. After the learning curve here I could probable convert most of that house in less than an hour. Unfortunatly getting there before the March 31 deadline is impossible since my job here 2000 miles away is until May 1, and even if I did fly there I would need to snowshoe in or something since the roads there are not open this time of year. Oh well I guess when I get there I will just throw most everything away since I will not be able to unpair them, unless I spend hours and hours on tech support

Advanced Member

Most Iris devices can be reset without an account or hub.  Battery powered devices are usually reset with 8 button pushes at 1 per second.  Smart plugs can be rest by holding the button in while inserting in to the outlet.  I believe the WiFi smart plugs cannot be reset without removing them from the account first.  

Tinkerer

rdisom is correct.  You should  be able to force reset most of these devices manually without the hub.  See the videos to reset here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjfHeI0QUV8BH0Z5LbUa7xf4rroUq-EpZ

However, since Iris is cloud based, why don't you just unpair them from where you are?  You should be able to log into your account, select each device, and then remove it.

For rdisom - maybe I am mistaken but I thought the WIFI plugs would not be usable with anything besides Iris.  Is that not the case?  If it is, no point in unpairing them.

Highlighted

Just to drop in here and say I am working on a site for the cameras. I know when I posted about them uploading to FTP a lot of people don't have a server or don't like messing with the command line.  I also have the cameras doing webhooks for IFTTT. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Tinkerer

@thegillion Do you have a camera specific thread that you could direct us all to so that we can follow along? Thanks in advance!

Advanced Member

@Steve745t wrote:

Oh well I guess when I get there I will just throw most everything away since I will not be able to unpair them, unless I spend hours and hours on tech support

As the others said you won't have to throw them away. Over the last year or so I have moved many devices from one system to another and from one house to another.  In many cases I forgot to removed them before I moved them.  You just have to reset them in the case of Zigbee and Force exclude for Z-Wave.  You can force exclude a Z-wave device that was paired with Iris using the ST force exclude, I have done it.

Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

@DogDaze Arlo's hosting service allows 7 days of recordings on up to 5 cameras for free in their cloud.  Blue Iris could be run on a Virtual machine however youd likely be able to get far more cameras recording at once if it were installed on its own machine as it could take advantage of the video cards GPU as long as your video card is supported by offloading some of the processing from the processors.

@Terk 

Thank you for the info.. 

Tinkerer

@oblvnwtnjhn wrote:

With the new Kasa cameras on the horizon, I'm leaning towards those for video, ST for my V2 sensors, Smoke/C02 

@oblvnwtnjhn 

thank you for the information..  will have to check those out..

Tinkerer

@rlowery78 wrote:

@DogDaze  I purchased the V3 hub. Was what was available at my local BB. I will miss the battery backup and the alerts about power outages. With as many Iris cams as you have, It might be worth your while to build a server with lots of storage! That is more time and money than I am willing to commit to these cameras currently. I will most likely purchase the Blink cameras and use IFTTTT for integration or perhaps the Arlo Q.

@rlowery78 

Thank you for the information....   as for the cams, many of my indoor cams will probably get shed off with this change...   tho, I like the Indoor/Outdoor since they finally added the Audio to them.. (has come in handy).   I'm not exactly thrilled about hosting my own server for the video..   Apparently because I don't have the desire to build and maintain it..   when the cloud has been a perfect option till suddenly, they pull the plug..    I'll have to check out the Blink and Arlo Q offerings.