cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

RCL - well said! IRIS was by far the best dual purpose system out there. It is a little mind boggling it wasn't sold or a merged deal made with another company as it instantly would have given said company the total package. At worst we possibly may have had to buy a new HUB at some point when the systems were combined under 1 master system. 

At least Lowe's is trying to keep us as customers with the Visa cards. I give them credit for that.

Tinkerer

I’m glad RLC just made these comments. Thank you. I have been saying this exact thing for years. No I don’t want another system because it will never be able to do what iris did. But I must come to the realization that nothing lasts forever. Unfortunately I’ll have to have about 4 different hubs for my complex system to be able to do what I need it to do, but no big deal. And I’m not completely on board with ST. I have friends that have ST/ADT and they are all miserable. So from my prospective things aren’t always greener on the other side. And the only thing I can’t live without is a security system. The rest is all just novelty!!!! But I hope everyone out there in the community finds something good for themselves.
Tinkerer

Here is a thread on Hubitat moving from Iris that might interest anyone thinking of moving to that platform. 

https://community.hubitat.com/t/lowes-iris-transition/9872

One thing I have noticed is that the community is very responsive, which is nice for newbies to that platform.

Tinkerer

@rcl Wow I don't know what system you used, but you did not describe Iris for me. I got 6 months at best out of my contact/motion sensors there is no way you got 3 years! 

Why did you choose vera? It got mediocre reviews and its limited support has been well know? SmartThings or Wink would have been the logical choice over Vera. Most people have had no pairing issues with SmartThings or Wink, in fact my devices paired faster, react faster, and just plain work better than they ever did with IRIS. 

On the security standpoint - We are already monitored with Noonlight for less than we paid with Iris and ALL of my Iris devices minus the Cameras and the WIFI smartplugs work as they should!  Yes I did not purchase the ADT hub for SmartThings - as it was not required to have a monitored security service. Noonlight and Scout are 2 services beyond the ADT ripoff you can purchase through SmartThings. 

Just my 2 cents - I am glad Lowe's dropped Iris as it forced me to take the training wheels off and dive into a much more capable system. I am infinitely more satisfied with SmartThings vs Iris. 

There are much better alternatives to IRIS - SmartThings is one, Wink is one...even nest and ring offer security now...

@Augie20  Do you have your gift card to help your migration to another system? I don't! and Lowe's definitely lost me as a customer! Their handling of IRIS from day 1 has been terrible. Remember the V1 fiasco? They lied to us! Until I see the opensource, or the gift card I will be skeptical of anything Lowe's says.

FYI - the gift card is not to keep us as customers but to keep us from suing them.

rcl
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate the comments and support of the IRIS Community.  Has anyone received confirmation whether the IRISbyLowesCommunity board will also be shut down?  I suspect that it will.  It would nice if someone consider starting a public IRIS Community board that can live on after the shutdown.  Please keep us posted. 

Tinkerer

@rcl wrote:

I appreciate the comments and support of the IRIS Community.  Has anyone received confirmation whether the IRISbyLowesCommunity board will also be shut down?  I suspect that it will.  It would nice if someone consider starting a public IRIS Community board that can live on after the shutdown.  Please keep us posted. 

I have not heard anything official on this one either..  but would like to know too.

Also, has anyone confirmed as to if our devices will be bricked at the end of the shutdown if not completely removed from Iris?  I'd guess they can all be factory reset..  but with the cameras..  would a factory reset maintain the latest firmware that has been updated by Iris when we installed them, or will the firmware update be reset back to the default?

Tinkerer

@rcl wrote:

There is a VERY active independent iris community that has been around LONG before this one. 
http://forum.livingwithiris.com

I would imagine that forum is not going anywhere. It will probably evolve into a more generic smarthome online community.

Tinkerer

@DogDaze thegillion is working on getting the cameras up and going beyond iris. He has posted that here and elsewhere...
Tinkerer

thegillion is working on getting the cameras up and going beyond iris. He has posted that here and elsewhere...
Highlighted
Tinkerer

@rlowery78 wrote:
@DogDazethegillion is working on getting the cameras up and going beyond iris. He has posted that here and elsewhere...

yes, trying to keep up with all this...  among other concerns..   (both work and home)

I saw where he posted that he was working to keep us posted..