cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Everybody needs to forget all this talk about suing Lowe's!! They'd eat us for dinner!! Your gift card will come eventually. They have up to a year. That's what we all agreed to. It is what it is. As for me - I was lucky enough to miss the V1 to V2 fiasco. I started with V2 after looking at all the local (things in stores around me) options. Were there a few bumps along the way? Sure there were but for some reason between the CS line and the community boards I was always able to solve any issues. Usually pretty quick!  We were blessed to have some very knowledgeable and helpful users (thanks all) on our community board. My system was very stable and reliable hence I put it in 3 other places with great results. Battery life comes down to 2 things. The quality of the battery and how often the device accesses it for use. Personally I am on the original batteries on all my devices (over a year) with the exception of my main keypad. At present I am looking at options and keeping an open mind with an all in one system preference.  I still want to see what thegillion comes up with. I just hope users keep posting how things are working with other systems  until they shut us down.

Rookie

I completed my redemption process weeks ago with a promise I will receive an email with tracking information when your Visa Prepaid Card has been mailed. I still have not received that. How long does this take? I would hope to have enough time to purchase and install a replacement system.

Advanced Member

First off, weeks ago?  The redemption process only became available 12 days ago.  Thats technically not even the minimum definition of "weeks" which would be more than 1.  As in at least 2.

Second, read the comment above.  If you agreed with the redemption process, it specifically states that it could take up to 1 year.

We have heard 2 estimates from different sources: 7-10 days, and 2-4 weeks.  We are past the 7-10 days for some of us, but nobody can even be at the 2 week mark yet.

I know it can seem like forever, and we may be having to convert to other systems out of our own pocket.  But late money is better than no money.

Tinkerer

@Augie20 wrote:

Everybody needs to forget all this talk about suing Lowe's!! They'd eat us for dinner!! Your gift card will come eventually. They have up to a year. That's what we all agreed to. It is what it is. As for me - I was lucky enough to miss the V1 to V2 fiasco. I started with V2 after looking at all the local (things in stores around me) options. Were there a few bumps along the way? Sure there were but for some reason between the CS line and the community boards I was always able to solve any issues. Usually pretty quick!  We were blessed to have some very knowledgeable and helpful users (thanks all) on our community board. My system was very stable and reliable hence I put it in 3 other places with great results. Battery life comes done to 2 things. The quality of the battery and how often the device accesses it for use. Personally I am on the original batteries on all my devices (over a year) with the exception of my main keypad. At present I am looking at options and keeping an open mind with an all in one system preference.  I still want to see what thegillion comes up with. I just hope users keep posting how things are working with other systems  until they shut us down.

Agreed!  Geez people, you would think you never bought a piece of technology before!  You're getting a more than fair price for old technology.  Sometimes it doesn't work out in your favor.  That's life.  Get over it.

Frequent Contributor

When will you mail the redemption cards?  You are shutting down a platform and expect your users to have a functioning new system set up by March 31st.  How are we supposed to replace our incompatable devices (such as things our household need, like a Radio Thermostat, Gen1 SmartPlugs, Gen1 Contact sensors, Irrigation Controllers -- my yard has 7 zones) without the redemtion card.  It is now Feb 12th, and we are down to ~45 days.....no redemption card yet, no tracking number, nothing! 

I felt Iris was a great system, but you are handling this "shutdown" poorly!!  

Do you guys really think through this "shutdown".......really doesnt seem so..........you are treating loyal customers that spent money on Iris Specific devices in a way that shows you would prefer them to shop at Home Depot in the future.

COMMUNICATE to your Customers, tell us WHEN you will ship our redemption cards so we can plan accordingly.  I would call into the support line and ask, but it takes well over an hour to have someone pick up our calls.  

GET IT TOGETHER LOWES!

Tinkerer

@Augie20 I am not suggesting we lawyer up! I am saying only reason Lowe's is giving gift cards is to prevent just that - hence the reason you and I accepted the terms of the aggreement when we went through the redemption process. 

Have I been satisfied with the Iris? as a whole NO. Customer service never had real answers, just "re-pair" your device or "you need more range extenders" or my favorite "those Zigbee light bulbs are causing your problems" They were also slow at implementing suggestions from this forum. The one good thing was the reasonably priced monitoring.

...I also think they could have handled this better. I would have liked 90 days to find something else. It would also be nice to have had a little financial assistance in going to another system (via the gift card that might show up sometime within the next year). 

To reiterate what others in this thread have said: We trusted Lowe's (with our safety and security) and they knew that IRIS would be shutdown and continued to sell IRIS devices up to and beyond the "shutdown" while they "were "searching" for a buyer. Sooooo -  do we have a right to be upset? I think so...  Do I think we need lawyers? no  

My point is and was: we were promised gift cards for our digital signature/aggreement that we (to quote our famous personal injury lawyers)  wouldn't "TURN THIS WRECK INTO A CHECK".

Highlighted
Tinkerer

@irissystemuser wrote:

How are we supposed to replace our incompatable devices (such as things our household need, like a Radio Thermostat, Gen1 SmartPlugs, Gen1 Contact sensors, Irrigation Controllers -- my yard has 7 zones)

Radio thermostat works with other systems - I know from personal experience.  I have seen others get some of the irrigation controllers to work with other systems.  Systronics is working on the Gen1 devices so don't throw them away just yet.

Once Iris goes open source, there is a likely chance that more of your devices, even Gen1, will be compatible with other systems.

As far as the redemption cards, per the agreement, they can take up to 1 year to send them out.

Tinkerer

Replace the wreck with a check!

That was funny.

We will get our cards when the taxman says it is in Lowe's best interest. 

It took me over 2 years to get an airbag for my car. I can wait for this.

If you are in a rush, BB has a sale every week! 

Tinkerer

If Iris gear doesn't find support or unsatisfied with the developments after source code is released, Wink for the sensors, new Kasa models for the cameras looks mighty tempting for our needs. I like the Cortana intergration for both. 

Frequent Contributor

I am fortunate that I can afford to replace the Iris items today with new items on another platform.  I realize that NOT everyone certainly has this choice and are in a real pickle until they get that gift card.   I plan to use this gift card to "refund" myself after buying these new devices that I'll be forced to put onto my credit card in the mean time.   The gift card will go toward other home improvement projects -- purchased from Home Depot or Menards.   Seems Lowes tries to make everything so much harder than it needs to be.   Why send a gift card with cash on it that could get lost, or stolen and then we're completely out?  Plus the gift cards have to be signed for.   Most of us have to go to work during the day when deliveries happen.   With Lowes being silent on when these will be sent out, kind of makes it hard to plan behing home to receive this gift card, doesn't it?    Seems like they'd send CHECKS instead.   Then you could then use that cash to pay off your credit card, which many of us will be forced to use because the redemption process is not quick enough to replace our Iris devices on time.    Others are right.   This is a mess.  But I'm not surprised, most things Iris related have been a mess through its history.  Sorry, but it's true.   Very poorly managed product by Lowes.  I agree with the others also that the gift cards are not to keep the customers happy, it is to try and save themselves from any liability.   Throwing some crumbs is much cheaper for them than throwing out the whole cake.