cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Rookie

Re: Lowes - How you can make it right

I agree with you I have 6 locations  and there is nothing else out there that will separate the locations in one app there answer was create 6 email addresses

rcl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Thanks for the feedback.  I just finished speaking with Scout about support for ST users.  I hear that Scout is available now for existing ST users that currently have the Scout service.  However, Scout service is on-hold for new ST users that don't already have the Scout service.  Evidently, ST users enroll in scout using the ST-App.  I was informed that the ST-APP currently excludes users from enrolling in Scout.  This is reportedly temporary until ST completes their App integration between the Samsung version of the ST-App and the former ST-Classic App version.  

One needs the ST-App to do any configuration or changes in the system.  The problem is that ST-App requires later versions of Android and IOS and also 2GByte of RAM.  If your phone is not on that minimum release or doesn't have 2GByte of RAM, the App will not load.  My phone was on the above the minimum required release, and I still could not view in PlayStore or install on my phone.  2Gbyte of RAM is a pretty big memory requirement for an APP, where the intelligence and complexity should be either in the hub or in the cloud.  Either the hub or cloud should support a Web browser GUI which is the most compatible UI that can work with user device.  Some the hubs out there even have a local web server run on the device allowing configuration either with a mobile device or computer.  

I was told that that even the latest Samsung hubs should work with the ST-classic APP.  I plan to try it out and see how it all works.  

Rookie

the only good thing that can come from Iris would be to open source the project. The z-wave devices are salvagable, the zigbee? Not so much.

Still, stash these away in hopes that it does go open source and find a real solution.

FYSA - Big box stores will never provide a solid long term solution. We purchased Iris knowing that it was a 100% cloud-dependent system...what did you think would happen? The same thing can happen to Nest, Ecobee, and even Google Home when they decide not to play any longer...

Tinkerer

@CloudFail Zigbee devices are salvagable! I don't understand why you would say they are not... All of my zigbee devices are paired and work properly with SmartThings! Zwave and Zigbee devices are both usable on other systems! 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

My devices that were compatible with ST are also up and running while I wait for my Visa card to replace the rest. Iris was great when I bought it 5 years ago and wanted security and smart home. It’s outdated now and honestly other systems offer so much more.

I am so happy that Lowe’s forced me to move to ST or some other platform and helped assist in the cost. The ST platform possibilities are endless. With ST, my alarm sets itself when I leave now (geofencing), Alexa plays custom sounds and phrases over my Sonos speakers, and I have also bought into the Konnected system that bridges all of my old Brinks wired devices into ST (no more batteries!!). I have also have replaced my Iris keypad with a tablet running actiontiles. I wish I would have switched a long time ago!! Kudos to Lowe’s for attempting to make people happy with the gift cards.
Frequent Contributor

RCL, I agree with you, Iris is best-of-breed in it's category. I am in the process of switching over to smartthings but it requires a lot more hacking. Iris was simple to set up and only moderatly difficult to program. Smartthings requires two different apps, classic and the new one, to get going on a replacement to Iris. What is lacking is any sort of out of the box security system. Delayed entry and keypad are not supported unless you want to apply hacks built by others. Not exactly what I would want my dad doing, for instance. Future changes to the Smartthings system will probably disable all of those hacks too.

I'm not a happy camper.

Frequent Contributor

I have been a user of the Iris system for over 4 years.  I am sure the shutdown was a financial decision.  For me, I am just thankful that Lowes has enough respect for their customers to give us our money back so that we can put together another system.  This shows me that the company cares and for that reason I will stay with them.

Honestly, I doubt that if Home Depot was in the same position as Lowes, that they would refund your investment.

Think about that before you go off half cocked.

Tom Dadian

Tinkerer

I agree. I’ve been an Iris user from day one and have really come to depend on the system for security. I would never leave Lowe’s. I think they have done an extremely fair job of trying to make us happy in this difficult situation. I really don’t think there is any reason to bash on them for why they are doing this. Come on people!!!! But unlike a lot of users ST isn’t an option for me.
Frequent Contributor

Call now they are not busy

Frequent Contributor

Re: I have 7 properties. Just wow.

Manup and get the job done.  Buy and test one system of your choice in your residence to make sure it works as you expect.  After that go out and buy for all 6 other systems in bulk, then install them.

Life is not alway kind but you should thankful that Lowes is reimbrusing you for you investment.

Now, just do it and quit the belly aching.