cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

@Kato...

a lot of my devices are NOT "years" old....some are just months old so yes they should reimburse .....and as far as it taking a year to get gift cards....that is a little obsurd....heard of technology???  it is a great thing where computers can process checks and other things in a matter of minutes....so when we completed the request on our computers, it should not take a year to get the funds....should be a matter of a couple fo weeks at best....so those who completed their redemptions on day 1, they should already be receiveing cards.....unless Lowes doesnt have funds to pay which i suspect is case...no way you shut down a whole division this on this short notice this way without that financial issue going on...

While I am grateful they are doing it, dont make them it to be more than it is.

Tinkerer

OK, well, whatever...

Many people on this forum have given out a lot of options and advice.  Do with it what you will.

Tinkerer

Kato is 100% right guys!! Lowes doesn't have to give us a dime!

Take a stroll down memory lane - 

First computer = TI99

2nd = Commodore 64

3rd = Packard Bell (still smiling at that one)

4th = Apple llc

5th - I don't know how many? = IBM, HP, Gateway, Self Builds, desk tops, laptops and so on...

More versions of windows than I can remember!! Most upgrades required a better computer to work correctly!!

I don't remember Steve Jobs or Bill Gates ever offering me a gift card!!!

So as technology changes and companies make decisions based on the bottom line - things change!!

I will take whatever Lowe's eventually sends me and be happy and move on. 

I do find it funny though that all the IRIS bashing I have read over the last year seems to be worse now that they are shutting down.

Maybe they were a lot better than a lot of you gave them credit for!! I think they were.

I've said since getting IRIS it is/was the best system out there covering all the bases. 

I do go along with those that think Lowe's marketing was very poor for a terrific product.

It is puzzling why they couldn't sell it or merge it into/with another company.

Tinkerer

Look at the Ring Spotlight Camera wired, and the Ring Floodlight Camera. They are both exterior cameras that are wired. One is plug in, the other hard wired.

Tinkerer

I think those of you whom are comparing the "Iris Smart Home"  as just another type of technology are mising the sales point of Iris to begin with. SAFETY and SECURITY. This is just what Lowe's sold the system to us as. Not just a gadgety - gimicky - **edited** **edited** that will scratch our technology itch - like those computers or what have you previoulsy listed. IRIS was more than that... Lowe's sold us a bill of goods that they were not willing to uphold (safety and security). 

In my opinion they were and are obligated to some degree to those of us who bought into this system. They seem to agree and this is (as I have said multiple times) why we are being given gift cards. (I promise you their lawyers have said that this is what should be done, and I also promise that their share holders would not willingly be giving money away except to protect the larger pot.)

Expect gift cards sooner than later, they have accounted for them in their 4th quarter. See the following statement from their 3rd quarter sales and earnings report:

• $14 million of long-lived asset impairment and inventory write-down related to the decision to exit certain non-core activities, including Alacrity Renovation Services and Iris Smart Home.

Additional pre-tax charges of $460 to $580 million related to these decisions and consisting of lease obligations, accelerated depreciation and amortization, severance and other costs are expected to be incurred in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018, and have been reflected in the company's updated business outlook.  The amounts, nature and timing of any additional charges associated with the intended exit of its

and a link to the report: here

Tinkerer

I guess you liked your system as much as i did!!

Lowe's from a legal standpoint has no culpability whatsoever!! Enough on that point. The horse has been beaten to death!

I own a lot of stocks and no CEO or Board of Directors ever asked for my opinion before they do things!! 

They are giving us rebates because they know 75% of $$ will come right back to their stores!! Goodwill gestures work!!

Lets get off the gift card debate as they will come when they come and get back to helping people figure out what system will be best for them to migrate to. We have all found out there isn't another IRIS (HA &Sec) system out there that is as good and easy to use. 

Best of luck to everyone!!

Highlighted
Tinkerer

@Augie20 wrote:

Enough on that point. The horse has been beaten to death!

Lets get off the gift card debate as they will come when they come and get back to helping people figure out what system will be best for them to migrate to.

Seconded.

Tinkerer

@rlowery78 wrote:

I think those of you whom are comparing the "Iris Smart Home"  as just another type of technology are mising the sales point of Iris to begin with. SAFETY and SECURITY. This is just what Lowe's sold the system to us as. Not just a gadgety - gimicky - **edited** **edited** that will scratch our technology itch - like those computers or what have you previoulsy listed. IRIS was more than that... Lowe's sold us a bill of goods that they were not willing to uphold (safety and security). 

If you want security, avoid the tinker toys (SmartThings, et al) and go with a security company: Abode

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 11.21.34 PM.png

Frequent Contributor

When I first learned of the news that Iris was being discontinued I was really upset, as many people are/were.  I felt kind of betrayed, like something I relied on was being taken away and I had no idea how I was going to make everything work again after having probably hundreds of hours into setting up my home automation/security systems.   It was an overhwhelming feeling initially.  Honestly though, now after about two weeks and having time to setup and use Ring for Security, and Smart Things for the Home Automation side of it, I am kind of glad I was forced to make the switch.   I didn't really "know what I was missing."   These two other systems, in my experience, since setting up have been great.   Both have a lot more functionality and customizations that are possible and both seem like much better thought out products.  Especialy Ring for the security side of it.  It is actually very responsive and feels more like a professional product, and less like a "toy" and I haven't had false alarms like I did with Iris quite often.  I was really ticked off in the beginning, but now, after finally deciding on two products, and having them set up fairly well and using them, I can honestly say so far, I am not missing Iris.   Sorry, not sorry.  The user community however has been great to work with and learn together on all things home automation.   Sometimes things just run their course I guess, but I'm feeling a lot more at peace now that the "uncertainty" aspects are mostly taken care of for me and I've worked with what else is out there a bit.  I just hope that Lowes sticks to their word of providing the redemptions for products not compatible with any other service. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

Hi

You let off the Energy Smart Water Heater Controller...  BillyBob