cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Combo of Smartthings and Hubitat -- SmartThings for the cloudbased devices and HB to keep the system off a cloud. Never going to have myself locked 100% into a system like that again. I suspect Lowe's can see it coming. They wanted to monopolize the device market and since they had to compete with the demands asking for a varity of protocols and products in a plug and play model, they bailed out on us.  I would have paid for the service had they offerred it -- but not for that monitoring service.  It was an awesome model that v1 had going but they were all proprietary devices and v2 was designed to opnen it up even more but they did not stick to their plan and really lost out on serving the same devices they had done -- perhaps through licensing? -- But, like the Blue Line Energy Meter Readerm that actully set controls to limit devices while I was away. That unit saved me a lot of money and had utility and you did not need to be a programmer to make it all work.  It was all plug and play and Iris made it happen. But in V2,  Blue Line device and a host of others, (that had actual utlity beyond color lightbulbs) never cam back -- it was like going back to the stone ages -- and colored light! V1 made a real difference.. but V2 never did bouce back. It's been a learning lesson for all of us, and now we are becoming experts if you have 50 devices or more -- if you ask me.. it is getting quite technical out there. 

Frequent Contributor

I have tried (twice) to get answers to these questions on Iris Support, without response, and now the "Iris shutdown problem" support option seems to have vanished completely.

1. Shutdown is quoted as March 31st but is that 00:01 or 23:59 ? - or do you have some other time in mind, and, what time zone ?

2. Is it best that I remove the devices from my hub before shutdown or leave them connected to the system regardless of the platform shutdown, -in order to get best ongoing stand-alone functionality of the devices (crucially the Schlarge door lock, but the others too) and subsequent re-pairing of the devices to whatever new system I install ? ( I dont have the 'luxury' of replacing my Iris system before shutdown as i'm out of the country).

thanks

Frequent Contributor

@johnskipp wrote:

I have tried (twice) to get answers to these questions on Iris Support, without response, and now the "Iris shutdown problem" support option seems to have vanished completely.

1. Shutdown is quoted as March 31st but is that 00:01 or 23:59 ? - or do you have some other time in mind, and, what time zone ?

2. Is it best that I remove the devices from my hub before shutdown or leave them connected to the system regardless of the platform shutdown, -in order to get best ongoing stand-alone functionality of the devices (crucially the Schlarge door lock, but the others too) and subsequent re-pairing of the devices to whatever new system I install ? ( I dont have the 'luxury' of replacing my Iris system before shutdown as i'm out of the country).

thanks

From what we have been told, the system and devices will cease to function, as you will have not access to the app or website to control them.  As for the actual "zero hour" of shut down, most are planning on, or are in the process of,  un-pairing the devices from Iris to move to a new system, otherwise you will need to do a manual re-set of the devices.  As the instructions to do that may disappear with the website, you may want to get your notes now.

Tinkerer

I’ve decided to go with ring for my security system. But unlike most that are going to ST, I’ve decided to stay out of HA for the time being. I’m not using a cloud based system for surveillance due to issues with recent events and have bought a 4K NVR with PoE and WiFi cameras. After a long research into these systems I found Amcrest has the best system for me. The only things I have for HA setup now are a Hue system and LeakSmart valve with LeakSmart hub. But I had already invested in them before Iris decided to shut down. As for all of my other Iris stuff I’ll just put them in a box till something comes along that suits my needs. I’m not impressed with ST and have no desire to deal with them. The only thing I’ll miss is the capability of the motion sensors being able to monitor temperature in my home now. Since I don’t see that option being available on other platforms they are useless to me for now. I’m glad I’ve had the chance to read everyone’s opinions and ideas on this site and hope everyone finds the right system for themselves. And to the Iris staff thanks for everything. I have truly enjoyed my system and hope each and everyone of you the best.

Re: Lowes - How you can make it right

Totally disagree about Lowes "stepping up". i am glad that this allworks for you, but the time frame was too short for mny to transition, particularly if they were using Iris to manage a distant property. Lowes gave no help in transition, not even going to the simple step of creating a spread sheet concerning which alternative systems could operate their own brand name devices. I spoke to supervisors who essentially just said that I was on my own. They would not reimburse for a device that they said could be operated on a different hub, and those systems may not even offer anything near the operability for which you bought the device to provide.

For them not to reimburse because the device could be operated on another system, yet they are not able to tell you what system they are talking about or how to move it there is a complete dump on the customer. This wouldn't have been half as bad if Iris had not made so many proprietary changes and derivative products to  force Iris users to use Iris products. They made their bed and they should lie in it. I have a HD across the street from Lowesd, and now my business goes to the orange team.

Has there been an update on the release of the open source version? It has been weeks since you decided to abandon this platform.

Will that include the cloud portions, the app portions and the items needed to flash the hubs?

Scott

Frequent Contributor

I didn't do my redemption until the end of Februrary to see if there were going to be more developments.  I received my check in a week and a half.

Converted over to Vera at the same time. working through some configuration bits but their tech support has been very responsive.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

@dndauto wrote:
The only thing I’ll miss is the capability of the motion sensors being able to monitor temperature in my home now. Since I don’t see that option being available on other platforms they are useless to me for now.

Hmmm, not sure what you are referring to - I have motion sensors and contact sensors paired in Hubitat and they all report temperatures. 

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if the Garage Door Opener is on the redemption list?

Thanks!

Advanced Member

I don't know if it was on the redemption list as I had already moved mine over to SmartThings and it works great there.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet