cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

I noticed you’re having some issues with the ring cameras. I’ve found one thing that works for me is my fiber internet. Seems to be issues with those that have fairly slow internet. I’m not saying you do, but is something to consider. I also purchased PoE cameras through Amcrest. With a PoE switch and an Amcrest NVR. All for less than $300. Just something for you to consider. Got them on Amazon. And they are 4K. Good lock with your system.
Tinkerer

@dndauto wrote:
I noticed you’re having some issues with the ring cameras. I’ve found one thing that works for me is my fiber internet. Seems to be issues with those that have fairly slow internet. I’m not saying you do, but is something to consider. I also purchased PoE cameras through Amcrest. With a PoE switch and an Amcrest NVR. All for less than $300. Just something for you to consider. Got them on Amazon. And they are 4K. Good lock with your system.

@dndauto 

Thank you for your note on the Ring Cam(s)   and yes..

while we do have AT&T fiber..  I'm certain that it's dialed way back..    I'm even more certain that I'm putting the hurt on my wireless network with all these Iris cams..  no doubt, adding some delay to the Ring..   esp if they are all busy..

I've tried to lighten the load on the wireless..  but since the Iris cams are fixed..  it's been easier to just add another camera to an area we wanted coverage..  I've got a couple early version Foscams..  but have never set them up..  I believe similar to the Amcrest, tho I think the Amcrest are higher quality, and I believe much more secure than the Foscams.   I assume that you can pan, zoom tilt with the Amcrest..   and if so, I could easily cut out some of our cams..    as for POE..  that would be pretty awesome... tho getting all those wires to where they need to be has been a huge challenge..   I had enough trouble getting power to where I needed it for a few of the outdoor cams..   as we go forward tho, I might have to  bite the  bullet and just do it right with POE..    I finally got some of my temporary wiring cleaned up last fall..   & you know.. just before Iris pulls the plug on us..       Thanks again for your input..   I appreciate all the info.

Tinkerer

@DogDaze wrote:

Hey Steve,

and yes.. how I wish I could get the Tinycam option to work for me as well..  I can use it locally..  and it's a quick peek at ALL the cams at one glace when sitting on the sofa in the living room..  I like that feature as well.     and I can record too when at home on the WiFi..  so, there is some benifit in that I guess..

For reference, we've had 1 Ring Spotlight Cam out front..  it's  been a nice compliment to the Iris Cams..   I was actually thinking of buying some more until Iris finally gave us the Audio with the Indoor/Outdoor cams..  it saved me the expense last fall..  I was happy then.. but little did I know..

While not much gets past the Ring Cam..  and they really are great for outdoor..   I didn't see their indoor offering to be as desireable..  for one, you record all or nothing..  and previously, I only recorded when doors opened and closed with Iris.

I simply didn't want that much video in the cloud..  I talked to Ring and they still don't offer the ability to pick and choose what gets recorded when...  (you can turn off the alerts) but not set a schedule..   I also wanted to intergrate with my door sensors but unless you purchase the Ring Sensors..  I think a no go..

Oh, btw..   what we've noticed with the Ring Cam..  by the time you get the notification... and by the time you get the app to open and view what's happening..  they're gone..    we've found it pretty much only works to view stuff after the fact..  another reason I was reluctant to purchase additional..    the new stick up cams.. with the POE option might help elimiate some of the delay..  but that's some serious extra $$... 

Best of luck to you with everything..

Joe

Joe,

I considered Ring doorbell but heard of the delay issue and decided against it for now.  We get very little traffic in our "hidden/private" cul-de-sac making me wonder how important outdoor cameras are for us.  Most of the traffic (50 vehicles a day?) is turnaround traffic or deliveries.  If I got one, I would go with the solar charging option(s) rather than hardwire.  I'm not handy with electric and would have to hire someone for that job.  I don't understand POE, is it something you purchase?

I notice that you talked about the MY Handler Devices coding in ST.  Can it be set up for Iris cameras?  I didn't see how.  I was considering other camera options such as Foscam, but in your later reply to this you seemed to indicate problems with them.  What ar the problems?  IQ, speed, etc.?

Steve

Tinkerer

@sfink16 wrote:

Joe,

I considered Ring doorbell but heard of the delay issue and decided against it for now.  We get very little traffic in our "hidden/private" cul-de-sac making me wonder how important outdoor cameras are for us.  Most of the traffic (50 vehicles a day?) is turnaround traffic or deliveries.  If I got one, I would go with the solar charging option(s) rather than hardwire.  I'm not handy with electric and would have to hire someone for that job.  I don't understand POE, is it something you purchase?

I notice that you talked about the MY Handler Devices coding in ST.  Can it be set up for Iris cameras?  I didn't see how.  I was considering other camera options such as Foscam, but in your later reply to this you seemed to indicate problems with them.  What ar the problems?  IQ, speed, etc.?

Steve

Hey Steve,

As for the Ring and Iris Cams out front..   You'd be surprised at what happens around home when you're not there!!

I like the Ring, in that I can dial in on the exact zone(s) I want..  I was not able to do that with the Iris Cams..  (I believe, I can now with the Blue Iris software)   So, the Iris Cam captured pretty much everything up/down our dead end street.  As noted, it was amazing the stuff that happens during the day..   We would never have guessed.  The Ring Cam, I have setup 2 different zones..  the one cuts off at the property line..  the other extends over so we can keep an eye on the problem neighbor kids..  (prior to the Ring Cam who broke a $600 window and deny it)  But when they're out playing basketball, I don't want to sift through all the recordings..  so, I turn that zone off..   unfortulately, Ring don't make it easy to schedule or turn on/off a zone..  you have to load the image to set it..  (another feature request I've logged with them and they haven't followed thru on it)

I learned to and was pretty good at sifting thru the Ring Cam recordings if I was looking for something...  the Blue Iris is a bit different in that it stiches all the recordings together.. so, as to watch them in a continous loop..  they might be like 8 hours time span... tho, I imagine all that is configurable..  (I've only had it setup for < a week, so still playing)   You can then find your clip and download the entire loop, or just the clip you want..  kinda cool..  

As for the Foscams..  I heard they had some serious security concerns is all..  especially the older ones..  which is why I ended up never setting them up..   I dug them out after Iris announced the shutdown... figuring I'd give one a try..  but since the Iris cams still work, I never took them out of the box.   I have a white one and a black one if anyone has interest.  I'm sure they would work with Tinycam, or Blue Iris..     I really didn't want to drop the $ for the Blue Iris, but it is a pretty cool software package..  and will work for us for now.   I really wanted another cloud based solution similar to Ring or Iris..    we had some Blink Cams ordered, but I cancelled them when I got the Blue Iris working..

As for the Device Handlers for Smartthings.. yes..  I've set that up then too.. (prior to Tinycam) and I have it working..  (locally only for the same issue with my port forwarding)   I can only view the cams with the ST classic app..   it does have live video and sound on the cams that have sound..     it takes a while to load them..  much like Iris was..    I was able to get all my cams to work with just the 1 Device Handler..  (as opposed to 1 DH for each cam)

I can email  you the DH I used if you have interest..    shadow7118   (at aol) if you have interest.

Tinkerer

One other thing I have that helps is an Apple AirPort Extreme router. I don’t know much about isp provided routers but mine is capable of gig speeds. PoE is definitely the way to go. I have two indoor cams that are pan, tilt, zoom with audio in and out capability that are WiFi, but my bullet Poe camera isn’t capable it that. But does have motion capability. I hope this helps you. Amcrest cams were the only way for me to go. And they all record to the NVR when motion is detected and alert my phone almost immediately. Even when I’m out of state for business or pleasure. And all is local and not cloud based.
Tinkerer

@sfink16 

Hey Steve,

I realized I forgot to mention..  you asked about POE..  POE = Power over Ethernet..

so, by that what they have are Cams that are Powered  by the same ethernet cables that connect your camera to  your network.

Meaning that you can shed the wireless issues..  and power your camera at the same time..  all with just 1 cable.

Naturally, even with the wireless we still need to power the cams..    

the battery powered Ring Cams are nice if you get the solar option..

but yes..   that's what the POE is..   -j

Tinkerer

@DogDaze wrote:

@sfink16 

Hey Steve,

I realized I forgot to mention..  you asked about POE..  POE = Power over Ethernet..

so, by that what they have are Cams that are Powered  by the same ethernet cables that connect your camera to  your network.

Meaning that you can shed the wireless issues..  and power your camera at the same time..  all with just 1 cable.

Naturally, even with the wireless we still need to power the cams..    

the battery powered Ring Cams are nice if you get the solar option..

but yes..   that's what the POE is..   -j

Thanks for the clarification @DogDaze !

My indoor camera is a short 20 to 25 feet (mostly straight through air) from my router, so POE shouldn't be a wireless concern.  Any outdoor camera location I might consider wouldn't be much different in distance but would have to go through the outdoor wall of course.  As of now, I'm not putting in an outdoor camera.  I may eventually put up a stick up Ring doorbell however.

Steve

Advanced Member

With WiFi it isn't all about distance from the WiFi host (Router, AP, or Mesh Repeater) it's also that WiFi is much more limited in throughput than PoE since each PoE device has the full throughput to your router (depending on components in the way, most cameras only come with 100mb NICs).  WiFi on the other hand is sharing throughput with all other WiFi devices on the same WiFi host system, one AP is generally designed to support arout 32 devices simutaniously however throughput on those devices is shared to the router so you won't get the full bandwidth to the router after a few WiFi cameras and or streaming devices get on the same system.  PoE or the old Coax are the most reliable methods for cameras if you can get the wires run.  With PoE instead of the old Coax system you have more flexability, although there are still Coax systems being sold.  The advantage of using WiFi cameras is there are often times outlets close enough to were people want to put their cameras so its much easier than having to try to find a way to get PoE there.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

With WiFi it isn't all about distance from the WiFi host (Router, AP, or Mesh Repeater) it's also that WiFi is much more limited in throughput than PoE since each PoE device has the full throughput to your router (depending on components in the way, most cameras only come with 100mb NICs).  WiFi on the other hand is sharing throughput with all other WiFi devices on the same WiFi host system, one AP is generally designed to support arout 32 devices simutaniously however throughput on those devices is shared to the router so you won't get the full bandwidth to the router after a few WiFi cameras and or streaming devices get on the same system.  PoE or the old Coax are the most reliable methods for cameras if you can get the wires run.  With PoE instead of the old Coax system you have more flexability, although there are still Coax systems being sold.  The advantage of using WiFi cameras is there are often times outlets close enough to were people want to put their cameras so its much easier than having to try to find a way to get PoE there.

Thanks for the additional info @Terk!  In my case WiFi is nowhere near the point of getting bogged.  My primary desktop is ethernet only.  The single WiFi camera, wife's laptop, each of our phones (rarely turned on), and Roku box are the primary WiFi uses and even those are not high traffic according to my Xfinity Internet feedback page.

That said, things can change and I will consider the POE if that ever becomes necessary.  Thanks again for the information!

Highlighted
Tinkerer

Before this forum closes down, I was looking for feedback on the Iris cameras encryption.  I did a Port Scan on my internal and external  address obtained through the TinyCam app and found ports 80 and 443 open.  Is this because I opened port forwarding on my router?  Do all WiFi cmeras have open ports or are they encrypted but still allow secure access?