cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

mjs6101984,

I appreciate your candor and your views on this; perhaps the most salient here. I’m on the fence as to how I feel. Here are the problems with your argument:

In December I dumped Alarm.com and migrated to IRIS by Lowe’s at my main home. I’d had IRIS for years and years at our cabin and began to really trust it when I made the switch. Before making the switch, I’d read the articles about IRIS being for sale. Of course I was worried, so I called IRIS. I was explicitly told that IRIS wasn’t going anywhere and Lowe’s was committed to finding a buyer. I took three days off after Thanksgiving and made the total switch, just as Lowe’s was rolling out email promotions and sales to lure us in. That was just more than a month ago. I’m now out the IRIS equipment, largely, and I just recycled $2k in Alarm.com equipment.

In the scenarios you mention regarding Apple and others, you’re missing a central point: you required support or you had a failing product in your examples. The products became the problem and required service or replacing, like a car. Or a MacBook. Or a washing machine. 

Point is, this is tantamount to Apple notifying all Macbook owners that their Macs are $2k paperweights in less than 2 months... or Volvo announcing that they’re discontinuing all the onboard technology... or Samsung deciding my new $1900 washer and dryer with WiFi will no longer work with WiFi just because.

Here’s where Lowe’s is miscalculating. As a PR practitioner, this goes beyond bad PR. IRIS, for many people had become a part of their daily lives. We made emotional connections to it. Sure, we called support a lot, but we were always excited to hear the same voice we’d heard months before. We leave our houses and know that access to our pets is just a tap away to access a camera. We knew that if a fire started and no one was home, IRIS would call for help. We used the app every day, all day.

Simply put, we trusted IRIS. We trusted Lowe’s to deliver it because they said they would. So, I’m actually among those here that feels a little sad. IRIS was like an old, dependable friend that my family trusted with our lives, frankly. Visa gift cards can’t replace that loss.
Frequent Contributor

mjs6101984,

I appreciate your candor and your views on this; perhaps the most salient here. I’m on the fence as to how I feel. Here are the problems with your argument:

In December I dumped Alarm.com and migrated to IRIS by Lowe’s at my main home. I’d had IRIS for years and years at our cabin and began to really trust it when I made the switch. Before making the switch, I’d read the articles about IRIS being for sale. Of course I was worried, so I called IRIS. I was explicitly told that IRIS wasn’t going anywhere and Lowe’s was committed to finding a buyer. I took three days off after Thanksgiving and made the total switch, just as Lowe’s was rolling out email promotions and sales to lure us in. That was just more than a month ago. I’m now out the IRIS equipment, largely, and I just recycled $2k in Alarm.com equipment.

In the scenarios you mention regarding Apple and others, you’re missing a central point: you required support or you had a failing product in your examples. The products became the problem and required service or replacing, like a car. Or a MacBook. Or a washing machine. 

Point is, this is tantamount to Apple notifying all Macbook owners that their Macs are $2k paperweights in less than 2 months... or Volvo announcing that they’re discontinuing all the onboard technology... or Samsung deciding my new $1900 washer and dryer with WiFi will no longer work with WiFi just because.

Here’s where Lowe’s is miscalculating. As a PR practitioner, this goes beyond bad PR. IRIS, for many people had become a part of their daily lives. We made emotional connections to it. Sure, we called support a lot, but we were always excited to hear the same voice we’d heard months before. We leave our houses and know that access to our pets is just a tap away to access a camera. We knew that if a fire started and no one was home, IRIS would call for help. We used the app every day, all day.

Simply put, we trusted IRIS. We trusted Lowe’s to deliver it because they said they would. So, I’m actually among those here that feels a little sad. IRIS was like an old, dependable friend that my family trusted with our lives, frankly. Visa gift cards can’t replace that loss.
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate the candor and your views on this from the user who spoke about other companies doing far worse; perhaps the most salient here. I’m on the fence as to how I feel. Here are the problems with your argument:

Simply put, we trusted IRIS. We trusted Lowe’s to deliver it because they said they would. So, I’m actually among those here that feels a little sad. IRIS was like an old, dependable friend that my family trusted with our lives, frankly. Visa gift cards can’t replace that loss.
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know a similar security/smart home system that provides the same features(run scenes, alarms, notifications) without a an expensive monthly fee? What systems are you guys going to now?
Frequent Contributor

Personally, my household is going to go to Ring. We actually bought Ring when it first came out but they had not worked all of the bugs out and returned it. Now, with our rebate the Ring system will actually be less than what we are receiving on our rebate. Plus, the $10 with unlimited cameras will be nice. We currently have a different camera system than Lowe's or Ring so we will be slowly replacing cameras.

We also have a second home that has IRIS installed and we will switch that house to SmartThings.
Frequent Contributor

Be careful buying the ADT SmartThings sensors.  I believe they only work with the ADT hub - at least that is what I read.  I don't think they work with the standard SmartThings hub as they use a propietary protocol much like Iris gen1. 

Make sure they will be compatible with what you will be using in the future. 

Frequent Contributor

@mjs6101984 wrote:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. This whole thread is very disheartening and I am very sad to see this is how society is reacting to Iris shutting down....

Technology is ever evolving and especially with home automation. As customers we will have to help work out the bugs....for any platform. Were the Iris bugs annoying? Absolutely. However it is to be expected. It's a part of buying into a new and evolving product. I have yet to see a smart home platform that is perfect.  I remember when I purchased my Iris system, I bought it because it was the ONLY platform at the time that offered home security and automation combined. 

While I am sad to see the Iris platform go, I want to remind everyone that Lowes has ALWAYS taken care of us as customers regarding the Iris system. I began my Iris system with v1 and when AlertMe required Iris to switch off of the propriety software, Lowes provided everyone with the old v1 hub a new v2 hub. Fast forward past all of the bug annoyances, the v2 conversion annoyances, and all other annoyances we've had with our systems and now Lowes is agreeing to give us our money back for the items that we had connected to our systems before the shut down message went out. Once again....taking care of us. We need to realize that as a company they DID NOT have to do this. They are doing it out of good will and also because I'm sure they realize the undertaking we will have to rebuild our systems on another platform.

Let's talk about companies screwing me that I can come up with off the top of my head:

First, I remember when Apple didn't provide support for the App store to the 3rd generation Apple TV. I had to upgrade to the Apple TV 4 if I wanted the app store and make my Apple TV fully usable. Did Apple provide that new Apple TV to me? Nope. Second, I remember when I had many Apple Airport Expresses to push music to devices with the original AirPlay. All the sudden Apple removed all support for the original AirPort Express, rendering it completely useless. I can't even be configured anymore. Did Apple give me a new Airport Express?? They sure did not. Third, Sonos added AirPlay support to only their newest speakers. Did they replace my 3 month old Play 1 speakers since they wouldn't work with AirPlay 2? Absolutely not. Does anyone else remember when ADT paid them cash to remove their unsupported 20 year old wired system and replace it with a new wireless one for free? Na, didn't happen. However, Lowes is taking my 5.5 year old **no longer supported** product and reimbursing me enough money to get a brand new product and start over. I have been given the opportunity by Lowes to replace my **edited**, buggy, never working *insert sarcasm* Iris product to something else and they are going to help me pay for it!

I'm sure this post is going to tick off a lot of people, but before people start attacking me, please give me examples of other companies that have reimbursed you for an outdated or defunct product. Another point to note, I've been reading around other forums and Reddit. People are trying to pair sensors that they purchased on clearance for $1 (their words, not mine) so that they could get the full refund amount in the gift card. That is disgusting! Also, to those folks who were in the process of switching to a different platform who are now mad that they unpaired their devices and thinks Lowes owes them money. No they do not, you were moving to a different platform anyway, by your own decision. 

This post is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings or try to start an argument. However, I think that anyone posting these negative comments needs to take a deep breath and recognize Lowes for (trying) to make this better. Instead, think about the people who will need a new job, people who have kids to take care of. Nobody will ever agree with someone else 100%, but I think that we are actually pretty lucky to be receiving what we are and I fully believe that Lowes is doing their best to help people get their smart homes back up and running on a different platform. Settle down and take what they will give you.

I completely agree.  Technology is outdated after 6 months -1 year.  Devices as old as the gen 1 devices are ancient.  That Lowes is reimbursing for Gen 1 devices to me is pretty cool.  They didn't have to do this but wanted to make it right.  They keep my business.

I'm also eager to try out some new platforms.  I have a RPi so I can already download OpenHab, Home Assistant, and maybe Systronics.  Also can try Hubitat or SmartThings.  Seems like there are a lot of options so life is good.

Tinkerer

So what are all of you looking at to move to? I definitely need home automation (lights, switches, locks), Security (cameras, motion sensors, door sensors, garage door control)

Abode. They have geolocation that works Smiley Wink   They have pro support (same company Iris used) . They have cell backup that works too.  Their product doesn't evolve any faster, but they're truly open -- have IFTTT and other integrations that Iris always shunned.

SmartThings is in the toilet, with everyone abandoning them just as fast.

Tinkerer

@DogDaze wrote:

once we stop thru the redemption process, does our system bite the dust or will it continue to operate until March 31st?

It will work until the end. They're offering you the redemption/payoff with a signed agreement that it is sufficient repayment for them going out of business. "We give you money and you don't sue us."  What they offered me fully pays for my switch to Abode, so I agreed with that deal Smiley Happy

Tinkerer

Now the search begins to find  a new system that has a remote that autmatically arms and disarms when last remote leaves the house,
Abode has geofencing that works ;-)