cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

This is a question for the Iris team / Lowe's.

Have the redemption cards started shipping? If not, what is the time frame that this will take place? 

I would like to get migrated prior to the cutoff of the Iris platform, and was planning on using the redemption card for doing this.

On the plus side, at least I have had enough time, I am pretty much sure I have picked the right system for me. ADT Smartthings. Monitoring costs are a bit higher, and carryover of Iris hardware is minimal at best (I can use my Utilitech sirens through some custom work) but I can integrate security, pro monitoring, cellular failover, and home automation.

I had given Ring security some consideration, but with no real automation to speak of, including automation that I consider vital to security (turning the lights on with an alarm event, triggereing third party sirens etc...). Pity too, Monitoring is the same cost as Iris was...

Tinkerer

That's what had me confused. My account still says "Pro" so wasn't sure if my account was still being professionally monitored. Wishful thinking I guess. 

Rookie

This is going to make it difficult for those of us who legitimately paid full price for devices that we haven't paired yet.  We had a backup of buttons and plugs (8 devices total) that we hadn't paired.   I am going to see how we get reimbursed for those items that haven't been paired to date.

Frequent Contributor

@dnwonline...call the help line and they will help you pair them to the systme and set up a redemption for those products.....I had 6 smart buttons that will not transfer to another system....some new (over 90 days old) and some that had fallen off line for whatever reason.....tech support help me pair them and I got an additionl $150 redemption on those.  

Frequent Contributor

For those who have already migrated to Smart Things and have your devices paired.....did you unpair from iris platform before you paired to smart things?  My new hub is on order and need to get started as soon as it arrives....with 150 plus devices, i need to get going!  Thanks!

Advanced Member

I didn't migrate to Smartthings, but you must remove them from the Iris hub.  Otherwise, you will have to manually reset each device.

Advanced Member

You will still likely need to reset the devices to pair them luckily those videos are still available.  Hopefully they will stay available.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@hynote you will have to unpair from IRIS. But, my devices paired instantly to SmartThings just as they were unpaired from IRIS. In otherwords, put SmartThings in pairing mode and then unpair from IRIS. My devices paired almost instantly... ...also, I would go room by room instead of dumping all of your IRIS stuff and then trying to repair it all to SmartThings.

Rookie

I did not unpair first. I popped the power plug and batteries on Iris, went to each sensor, popped the battery, held the button and paired with ST. I did not see the benefit of taking the time to tell Iris that devices were being removed.

rcl
Frequent Contributor

I am sad to say that I have been working to find a new solution since the Jan 31 shutdown announcement and haven't found anything like Iris.  After re-evaluating all the different home security systems out there, I would choose Iris in a heartbeat.  It is truly the best solution on the market when combining home security with smart-home control.  The latest Iris hub, devices, and services are leaps ahead of everything else.  Everything from the hub, the door/window and motion detector design, support for Smart-Home devices,  combined with all the other features of the service.  I personally believe that Selling Iris by Lowes to another company would have been in the best interests of the Smart-Home/Home-Security market and a very profitable sale for Lowes and prospective business investor.  Another company could certainly turned the IrisbyLowes solution into a very profitable business, and captured market share.  

The two transition solutions proposed by the IRISbyLowes team are the Samsung Smartthings and Vera.  I have tried the VeraHub with the IRIS iL06 contact sensor.  The sensor is discovered, but doesn't work.  It turns out that the IRIS contact sensor and motion detector are Zigbee. While VeraSecure hub supports both Z-Wave and Zigbee protocols, Vera support says the user should only try to connect generic Z-wave and not generic Zigbee devices. There is no commitment from Vera to support the Iris contact and motion sensors at this time.  That leaves Iris users hanging. 

I have also looked at one of the better alternate contact sensors.  The Iris contact sensor is far better.  Some versions of contact sensors have the top battery cover snapped into the base in such a way that the only way to gain access to the battery is by removing the entire device from the door or window.  The problem is that if the sensor is screwed into the door/window (as it should), once the battery cover is snapped on, there is no way to remove, short of breaking the case.  Not a good design when the user may have any where between 10-20 or more contact sensors for all the windows and exterior doors of the home.  The Iris contact sensor provided very easy access to the battery.  No issue with replacing batteries.

The Iris contact sensor supports a larger battery and gives up to a 3-year life on the battery.  The Samsung/ADC contact sensor only gives 1-year battery life.  Imagine having to replace the batteries in 15- 30 contact sensors every year.  Especially, if the sensors are hard to remove and gain access to the battery.  I've seen complaints by Samsung/ADC users have gotten a few months of battery life.  This is not tolerable.   I would choose a different contact sensor other than the ADC sensor, but this is the only one that is supported with the ADC/monitored service.  Otherwise, other sensors are supported, but users have to self monitor.  It also doesn't help Iris users who invested a lot of time and energy installing and pairing all those sensors throughout the home, now they all need to be replaced if they want to go with the monitored Samsung/ADC solution or the Vera solution.  

I am also seeing pairing problems with the new alternative system.  I have a new contact sensor to test with a new alternative system.  I was able to get it to pair the first time.  However, I decided to power down a few of the devices that were paired with the hub.  The hub first correctly identified that it could not talk to the powered down devices.  The problem was when I repowered the devices, could no longer talk to the hub.  I had to unpair every device, reset the device, then re-pair.  That even did not work.  I finally had to do a full factory reset of the hub for all Z-wave devices.  Then had to reset and re-pair every device.  The contact sensor still had problems and finally had to un-pair the contact sensor, remove the battery, and re-pair.  Try and have to do that for 20-30 contact sensors.  Especially ones that don't have easily accessable battery.  Forget it!!!

Other systems out there support either home automation or home security, but are weak in doing both.  That was one of the biggest benefits of Iris that it is strong in both.  

In closing, I'm not seeing good alternatives out there.  I would love to see Lowes change their decision and sell the Iris business to another company.  May be the current Iris employees and User community would want to take it over.