cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

I've been researching this very type of support matrix (nice job!) and focusing on Samsung SmartThings as they seem to cover the widest number of devices that I have. You should review their list of supported devices. They do claim to support the Leaksmart shutoff valves, two Generations of IRIS contact sensors & Smartplugs. Coming soon support for the Radio Controlled T-Stat's. The one device (and I have 7 of them @@ $59.99/eac) is the Utilitech Leak Detector. That still shows no support. If these Leak Detectors are not supported then the reimbursement amount is quite low, if these become covered then the reimbursement amount is fair. The whole reinstallation, reconfiguration piece will be a royal pain, but hopefully worthwhile in the end.

Reading a little about Systronic's, their solution seems intriguing and they claim to be working towards supporting the entire IRIS eco-system and cutting out the need for a cloud subscription although the cloud will still be necessary for registration and remote access although this appears just to be a proxy type connection from your smartphone thru the floud proxy down to your in-home hub. Sounds like they do this from a security control point as well as to get around ISP restrictions on running a web server (IE the Hub) on your internet service.... Check out this link they sent me... 

https://www.systronicsrf.com/q-and-a/january-21-19.html 

I'm guessing there will be further consolidation (or shutdowns) in the home automation and security business with only the most robust and standards based solutions surviving. With that said, unless systronics has a supported solution sooner rather than later, I will probably move forward with SmartThings since March 31st is coming quick...

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

I just spoke with a tech support person. Add everything you have onto your account and call them so they can "see" them to verify they exist and they will add the value to your redemption credit.

Tinkerer

Tinkerer

@bbailey16

Looks like you have a very similar device setup as I do.  I am currently testing everything with Hubitat.  So far, every device except the Gen1 devices has paired with Hubitat and is working.  With the exception of the Leaksmart valve, I have paired all of the items you listed above.  Hubitat is local, not cloud based.  It seems very responsive and has a lot of configuration options.

I am also interested in Systronics but since their still in a testing phase, I wanted to try something now.

Frequent Contributor

@Kato 

I have been looking at these posts and the other company websites and was settling towards Hubitat as well.  I love the idea that the system runs local, but can have hooks while you are out of the house and a ton of device integrations.  The one item that stopped me, no app for control from outside the house.  Still looking for more information on what you can do from the web page to know if I will take the plunge.  Any thoughts on if these fears are founded?

Tinkerer

@richkrze wrote:

@Kato 

I have been looking at these posts and the other company websites and was settling towards Hubitat as well.  I love the idea that the system runs local, but can have hooks while you are out of the house and a ton of device integrations.  The one item that stopped me, no app for control from outside the house.  Still looking for more information on what you can do from the web page to know if I will take the plunge.  Any thoughts on if these fears are founded?

One thing you can do (what I currently do) is setup a VPN so that when you are out, you connect to the VPN, then can access the system as if you were at home.  Many home routers now have this built in.  Then you can access it over your phone or any other device once you connect the VPN.

You can also set up dashboards which are accessible from the Hubitat cloud if you want to allow access - you have the option for both cloud and local links. You can see examples of dashboards here:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/show-off-your-dashboards/1715/40

Something I've noticed is that there are many more options than even just 6 months ago with the whole Hubitat environment.  It seems to keep growing and it has an active community, which is very nice when starting out.  So far I've added 50+ devices that I moved from Iris.  I also added a Samsung smart things button that I just bought without any issues.  The device list is pretty extensive.

Frequent Contributor

If you click in the red banner at the top in your account that says Iris will shut down on March 31st, click here for more info, it will show your original redemption claim information.

I added my Gen1 sensor to my account last night and called to have them add it to my redemption claim.. They did but said it would be a seperate Visa card and it has not been added to the original redemption list so far. Not sure if this blog or another but some people mentioned that they did not screen shot their original claim and were trying to find it so hope this helps.

Also the lady mentioned  they were telling people it should take  2-4 weeks for the  Visa cards to be mailed, I called this morning and got right through with no wait time.

Tinkerer

There is some buzz that the SmartThings/ADT parternership may be coming to an end on the ST community boards.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/is-smartthings-adt-dead-february-2019-lifeshield-acquisition/154...

Can you give anymore information about this? I don't want to jump from one sinking ship to another. I contacted ADT and was told to contact SmartThings.

@NOLA I work at a radio station and I have been hearing a lot more ADT network spots for "ADT smart home" So something happened they have never been on the spot list before.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Rookie

I have tried to log onto the redemption website it will not accept my password. I click to send me a code to get a new password and it never sends it to my email address. I've tried several times any suggestions?