cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

V1, Iris OC821

Rookie

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

Check out hubitat. I'm a smarthings refugee, loved the idea hated the cloud. Always cloudy with a Chance of failure meatballs. With hubitat everything is so so fast, it's amazing. No app yet but that is coming. And hubitat supports so many devices, it's just amazing.
Go check out the forum, you'll see all the smartest people from the old ST forum, are now at hubitat.
And whatever is everyone complaining about. Lowe's stood up, which is more than many other companies have done. I already got my money and my new system, Hubitat !
Tinkerer

@Rxich wrote:
Check out hubitat. I'm a smarthings refugee, loved the idea hated the cloud. Always cloudy with a Chance of failure meatballs. With hubitat everything is so so fast, it's amazing. No app yet but that is coming. And hubitat supports so many devices, it's just amazing.
Go check out the forum, you'll see all the smartest people from the old ST forum, are now at hubitat.
And whatever is everyone complaining about. Lowe's stood up, which is more than many other companies have done. I already got my money and my new system, Hubitat !

Yes. I have seen great performance as well with hubitat. I barely step into a room and the lights go on. With Iris, there was always a 1-2 second delay.

So after iris closes up, is the forum going to stay up, move to a different site, etc?  I would like to stay updated on any open source break throughs if possible.

Tinkerer

I would suspect at the shutdown of Iris, Lowes is going to terminate this forum as it is part of the Iris properties. The Livingwithiris forum, now renamed living without iris is where further info will likely come from...

Re: Lowes - How you can make it right

Simple, I live within walking distance from Lowe’s and 3miles from Home Depot. I will no longer shop at Lowe’s Find me at HD.
Tinkerer

Re: Lowes - How you can make it right

Your perspective is pretty unfortunate. Lowes has done far more than most companies would, to do the right thing by their customers. Most companies would simply walk away from the platform and leave the customers hanging. 

If nothing else, Lowes has bought more business from me, not less.

Actually I have already stepped up my shopping at Lowes, including tools, and building materials for my home remodel (taping knives, power drill socket drivers, window screen kits and screening, paint etc..

Frequent Contributor

So will that be the pic to use for your eBay store front? Do you take pay pal? ;-)
Frequent Contributor

I am so happy that Lowe’s forced me to move to ST or some other platform and helped assist in the cost. The ST platform possibilities are endless. With ST, my alarm sets itself when I leave now (geofencing), Alexa plays custom sounds and phrases over my Sonos speakers, and I have also bought into the Konnected system that bridges all of my old Brinks wired devices into ST (no more batteries!!). I have also have replaced my Iris keypad with a tablet running actiontiles. I wish I would have switched a long time ago!! Kudos to Lowe’s for attempting to make people happy with the gift cards
So now that most folks have made the move, is everyone happy that has migrated to Smarthings?
At this point I just want to replace my alarm, I don't have any other home automation items at this time but definitely interested.
Will my 2nd Gen Iris sensors work with ST
Did you buy the ST  V1, V2 or V3 hub  seems to me that V2 is better since it has a backup battery or am I missing something?
Will the ADT ST hub work as well for self monitoring with my sensors. I found the starter kit on  Amazon and I like the look of it however the reviews are not good in most cases so maybe I should stay away.
Love the idea of the actiontiles keypad on a tablet and what do you need for the geofence to work, just buy the arrival sensor?
My 2nd choice is Amazon Ring alarm but I missed the $159 starter kit price and will have to purchase additional sensors for it.
Iris was very simple to work with, I'm not a geek so not sure that hubitat, abode and some of the others out there are plug and play so I will probabaly avoid them.

Tinkerer

I would steer clear of ADT ST if you are going with ST - too proprietary.

I currently have most of my devices paired with hubitat.  there is a small learning curve so if you aren't comfortable with that,  you would probably do better with an out of the box solution.

I am getting ready to try out smart things just to see how it compares but I think you should be able to pair all iris devices v2 and higher.

Frequent Contributor

I too am curious if Lowe's is planning one last firmware update? likelly not. I was told today that they only allow one automation redemption and one manual. If you find old stuff laying around that you fogot about, then its going to be usless to try to get the money back for those -- unless you call some special number and argue with them.  I had several hubs and devices from another property we owned but was registered in someone elses name that does not live there anymore. I never thought to reclaim those gadgets or the hub and they sat in my closet for 3 years. I tried to call in just to be able to fire up the hub to see if I could unpair the devices and would need to track down the old tenant to get her info-- and that is not going to happen.  Unless the open source project materializes from "Arcus" -- we may not see the kinds of things we all liked in this system -- but Hubitat is really kicking **edited** so far.. stell a lot of drivers needed -- but tt is coming along.  I switched to both ST and Hubitat... trying them both and ST is seen in HB with some customization.  Both are free and have differences in some ways (Hubitat is local and I want to be free from a cloud system).