cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Advanced Member

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

I have 2 and they are not on the redemption list, presumably because they easily connect to other platforms.  I had mine connected to Wink for a couple of weeks, then moved them over to Smartthings.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Terk.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Rdisom

Frequent Contributor

Being an Iris owner myself, I've had to go through the process of shopping for a new home automation hub and home security gear.  I've put together what I've learned in the following post on my blog:

The Home Automation Hub I'm Choosing To Replace My Iris Setup

I go through my decision making process for each generation of Iris components and compare a few popular systems that would serve as fitting replacements.  I look at Wink, SmartThings, SimpliSafe, Ring, and more.  I hope that this post will help you to make an informed decision regarding your own home automation equipment.

Frequent Contributor

the iris garage door opener is not on the redemption list.... it is compatable with smarthhings....it actaully paired much easier with smarthtings than it did with iris and seems to be staying connected to where on iris i had problems with it staying connected and working properly.  

Frequent Contributor

As we approach the deadline of the end of our Iris journey, I reflect back on my major frustration on 1-31-19 of the news of the 2 month shutdown.  I was taken totaly by surprise as I did not spend much time in the forum so it like a slap in the face when I got that message late that night when I logged on to shut off some lights before their scheduled time.  Where would i go with my 140 plus devices???  And then have to learn a new system and reset and reconfigure my system to the way I had it!  I am here to say that I was pretty overwhelmed by the task....I wound up stay in till 4 that morning sstarting y research on where to go....I had added all these devices over a years time and the thougth of having to pair the devices again made me nauseous!  I always had problems pairing to Iris hub!  If one paired easliy, any additional would take 5 tries to get paired!  So after a week of research, I decided on Samsung Smartthings hub V3....I ordered and got it and dove in head first to start the process..... have been very surprised at how well all my devices have paired to the new hub!!  Most on the first try!!  I had a mixture of some iris plugs, ge plugs and switches and they all  paired beautifully and are running great!  The smartthings forum has some really great people who are so helpful!  I even have my iris smart buttons up and working on smartthings!  I am down to only my hub being paired to the app....it is bittersweat to remove it as it does end the era of my Iris journey which I loved the system....it provided every thing i needed or a work around for it.....I know I will eventually get their with smartthings to.  Good luck to whereever yall go!  for Those that migrated to Smartthings, see you in the smartthings community!

Frequent Contributor

Overall, I was pleased with Iris. Wish they’d hurry up and open source everything so I could find out what I might be able to do with my hardware.
Disappointed that they only gave 2 months notice. I’m switching over to Home Assistant. Used the reimbursement to get online gift cards on my Amazon account. Amazon gave me $10 for recharging my online gift card for the first time with a debit card too, but I think that was a one-time promo. Buying some WiFi (not Zigbee) replacement outlets with part of it, a Zigbee stick for my Home Assistant system so I can still use my Sylvania smart bulbs.
I now know two facts about Lowe’s. 1) don’t buy anything electronic there, especially if it has their name on it, and 2) they have no straight lumber (known that one for a while).
Frequent Contributor

I asked this question about 20 pages ago and never got any feedback.  Can anyone who uses smartthings tell me:

1) Is there a keypad you can use that is still for sale, that arms and disarms the system so cleaners, hot tub guy and maintenance workers can disarm and arm the alarm?

2) Is there a website you can access the system with or is it just via your cell phone.  If I arm the system and a few days later I lose my phone, do I have any way of disarming it?

3) Is there a way to have a phone call if an alarm is tripped or is it just a push notification/email when it is tripped?

4) Can you add multiple properties under 1 account?  

I have a Wink system at my business but it lacks all the things above.  No keypad, no website and no phone call if tripped.

Thanks.

Tinkerer

I went with ADT Smartthings in self monitored mode, so I can probably answer your questions but they are going to be centered on the ADT SmartThings solution, not the regular SmartThings solution... 

@Rickmc wrote:

I asked this question about 20 pages ago and never got any feedback.  Can anyone who uses smartthings tell me:

1) Is there a keypad you can use that is still for sale, that arms and disarms the system so cleaners, hot tub guy and maintenance workers can disarm and arm the alarm?

2) Is there a website you can access the system with or is it just via your cell phone.  If I arm the system and a few days later I lose my phone, do I have any way of disarming it?

3) Is there a way to have a phone call if an alarm is tripped or is it just a push notification/email when it is tripped?

4) Can you add multiple properties under 1 account?  

I have a Wink system at my business but it lacks all the things above.  No keypad, no website and no phone call if tripped.

Thanks.

#1. They ADT Smartthings hub includes a very nice touchscreen keypad that I have set up to allow my housekeeper / pet sitter to access the house when we are out. I can also set schedules for her access to insure she can't abuse the access.

#1a. Through the use of a Device Type Handler, or custom driver, the 2nd generation Iris keypads do work with Smartthings. I haven't set mine up yet, but I am planning on it for phoneless access to my workshop.

#2. It's a smart app, there is a website, I am have no clue if you can arm / disarm from there, but honestly, with the touchscreen keypad, I hadn't considered it. You have alternative means to arm / disarm the system without worrying about your phone.

#3. It's a push notification AND text. There are apps that convert text to voice calls, I haven't implemented that yet. If I can get that to go, I will likely set that up myself. Honestly I am more likely to look at a text, than answer a phone call because of all of the *#$%^ robocalls. The paid monitoring service does do voice calls. I think this is kind of the situation with almost every system out there now. The self monitor is push notifications and / or text, voice calls are extra cost. 

#4. Yes, you can have multiple properties, or "locations" under one account. So for example your house, your workshop / business, your storage unit assuming you have power and WiFi, your marina, your hunting lease etc... 

You can find a LOT more information on Smartthings by going to the Smartthings community forums, they are very helpful over there and are a bit inundated with us Iris refugees right now... So there is a lot of banter going back and forth... Helpful stuff...

Advanced Member

1) The Iris V2 and V3 keypads will work with ST however not natively so you will need to add a DTH and SmartApp via the ST IDE web site.  There are centralite keypads that work the same on ST and the Iris ones but I'm not sure if any are still available.  Currently there isn't a natively supported keypad for ST but I've heard they showed one at the last CES so hopefully they will have one soon.

2) The ST IDE website is the only native site to the ST ecosystem but you cannot control your system from there, instead it is used to add DTH (Device Type Handlers) and SmartApps, look at logs, and manage the system like Time Zone settings and others.  There is a SmartApp called SmartTiles that after setting it up would present a website where you can then interact with your devices.

3)  The only way to get a phone call when the alarm is tripped is to create a Virtual Switch then on the settings for the alaram set that switch to turn on with an alarm then in IFTTT you can setup a call if that Virtual Switch changes to on.

4) As far as I know you can setup multiple properties under one account but I only have the one so I can't say for certain if it works but under More in the app you can add a place so I would think you could change places there as well.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet