cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Tinkerer

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

I'll bet you are correct...  any device paired after the redemption email went out is probably out of luck...  obviously planned out before hand..  but a well kept secret.

Tinkerer

Once we take the redemtion, will the equipment continued to operate until the end of March?
We have a tripped planned in March and were counting on this system to be functional while we are away..

I don't want to jeoperdize that..

Tinkerer

I wonder too..

if this was the reason that one of outdoor cams went offline last night for a bit... 

It was below ZERO out..  I didn't feel like troubleshooting

then reconneded on it's own for no apparent reason?    

Was early evening, but after the dinner hour..   but before bed timeframe..    UGH!!

IRIS, we the people who bought this in good faith count on these systems...

we have so much $$ investment, and so much time invested in getting it all setup and working..   it's pretty unfair

@Joeses wrote:

Dburton713--

Be sure you connect any devices to iris that you want to have connected BEFORE you follow the link to the redemption page.

I think it doesn't matter when you follow that link.  Just by chance I paried a V1 door sensor (DWS-901) this morning.  Although I have 2 others that they offered $23 each, the newly paired sensor does not show up.  Neither do the 2 WiFi smart switches that I paired after the fact.

So my assumption is that they took a snapshot of the database sometime overnight/early 1/31. Anything paired after the snapshot doesn't "count".

Frequent Contributor

I honestly was planning on heading over to Samsung Smartthings... The sirens allegedly are compatible and will remain so. 

From the various vendors I have seen, I "trust" Amazon a lot more than Google.

It kind of saddens me that they didn't find a buyer. I figure with Netgear having Arlo, maybe someone like TrendNet, or TP-Link would have picked up Iris...

I understand that there is a difference between ADT Smartthings and Samsung Smartthings.... Why the difference? I can't say...

Beginner

As a quadraplegic I counted on iris home automation for several years and have alot invested in the products.  

I SMELL A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT COMING.

Rookie

I finally got through to Iris support on the phone. Here's what I found out. Some of this has been mentioned before.

They took a "snap shot" of the accounts sometime before the email went out. Only devices paired at that time are eligible for redemption. 
After processing the redemption, devices will still be able to be added and used until March 31st.

Unless you bought the devices within 90 days and have the receipt and packaging, you cannot return the devices to the store and you'll be stuck with them.

They are planning to do an open release of the source code, named Arcus, once they run it through a security provider to make sure no personal/confidential company data is included. Someone, who's posting as "thegillion" grabbed up a site yesterday called arcussmarthome.com, which at this time has a countdown to the end of Iris, as well as some caomparative options for other services. Looks like this might be the goto when Arcus is released Open Source.

Frequent Contributor

Quick clarification on this... most of the Iris motion and contact sensors can connect to an SmartThings ADT Security Hub and be used for home automation, triggering sirens, etc. However, only ADT Security devices can be used to trigger a home security event (e.g., ADT phone call, police dispatch). 

Here are some more FAQs on the ADT Security Hub: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005074883-ADT-Security-Hub-FAQ

Beginner

Re: I have 7 properties. Just wow.

Just left Arizona to fly back to Montana and after we left we find out that this has only 2 months!  We will not be back there until after March 31st because we have renters in the unit.  Who pays for us to fly back to change these or hire someone to do it for us??

Frequent Contributor

Re: I have 7 properties. Just wow.

Does anyone know if Samsung smartthings can manage multiple properties?
Frequent Contributor

It's painful to read this. I truly loved Iris. 

As much as it hurts, I just want to say thanks for the time we had together and thanks for being cool and not just shutting down and saying bye but actually offering some compensation. That means a lot. 

I am looking through the various platforms, I hope I can make up my mind in two months.