cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

Beginner

Lowes - How you can make it right

Lowes,

Discontinuing Iris in this way is an incredible screwing of customers who put their faith in you. We invested a large amount of time and money in Iris by Lowes.

I recommend you do the following:

• postpone shut down of the service until at least 6-12 months after the code has been open sourced.
  • make efforts to ensure communities and individuals can get the open-sourced code up and running. Have regular public office hours with your develpoment team to help communities and individuals get the code up and running.
  • even though you could not sell Iris, consider paying Amazon or Samsung to accept Iris code and seamlessly migrate Iris users to Amazon or Samsung. It's worth rescuing your brand from disaster.
  • And if youre unable to do the above, refund the full retail value of 100% of all devices, whether paired or not, whether new or not, whether purchased in the last 90 days or not.

I have not tried to redeem my devices yet. I have 3 places with about $2500 worth of paired devices and $500 worth of device that i have not yet paired.

If people do not feel like they were made whole by your redemption process, you will not only permanently lose customers, you will permanently gain enemies.  I imagine some people will buy, use, and return power tools, grills, lawnmowers, and other expensive equipment until they feel vindicated. I imagine some people will pursue a class action suit against Lowes. I imagine people will permanently avoid the Lowes brand, and permanenty advise friends and loved ones against shopping at Lowes.

Do the right thing. If not for your customers, do it for yourself. Do it to save the Lowes brand from disaster.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Important Update about Iris Shutdown.

So I'm as disappointed as everyone that Iris is shutting down. However I think we should put this in perspective a little too. Look how many times big companies like Google have shuttered services with little to no warning without doing anything for customers. Lowe's several times has refunded equipment purchases, with basically no need to do so. I think we should give them credit for that.

We all knew this was coming. So while we have two official months of warning, the writing was on the wall for a bit longer than that.

Just a little devil's advocate....

Frequent Contributor

Re: I have 7 properties. Just wow.

Very helpful. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

I would support a lawsuit if only to buy us more time. Some of us have a pretty complex system with a lot of rules/scenes etc. Any attorneys out there interested?

Tinkerer

Re: I have 7 properties. Just wow.

I forgot about TP Link, cameras have good reviews, their hub, not so much. I've never been able to figure out which sensors, if any, work with the TP Link, on the surface it just looks like cameras and switches. 

If Iris gains 3rd party/open source support all is not lost. I can pocket, pay of Lowes card, ha. 

Frequent Contributor

When you find your new system, please share!!

Frequent Contributor

So I purchased an AO Smith Water Heater based on the IRIS technology.  According to both Lowes and AO Smith there is no replacement for the IRIS Water Heater Controller yet the reimbursement is silent as to compensation for the water heater.  We paid nearly $1000 for a Smart water heater and now it's a dumb heater.  I expect some adjustment / compensation for this situation beyond the Iris Water Heater Controller.  Lowes and AO Smith have a 5=year requirement per federal law in providing support to products.  It is also interesting that the Lowes site is still advertising the water heater with the Iris module.  I hope to hear back soon or I will refer this situation for legal action.  Thanks in advance for responding.  Dan C

@dofdear @jaqohrts @oblvnwtnjhn @ClassAction  I have updated this site with  redemption info http://arcussmarthome.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

for the info but there does not seem to be any product that will replace the IRIS Water Heater Cotroller for the AO Smith water heater.  Dan C

Frequent Contributor

Re: Lowes - How you can make it right

I will be joining in a Class Action if it comes to that.  I have filed a complaint with Lowes and have asked them to allow a return of the water heater since there is no alternative except the IRIS Water Heater Control.  $40 is not adequate compensation for a $1000 Smart Water Heater which is now a dumb water heater.  Not want I signed up for.