cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Frequent Contributor

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

One more thing Lowes, if you are listening.  If you really care about your customers who made commitment to your system, you can ease the burden of what's coming for us by giving us IFTTT.   This way we can have more flexibility to keep our existing setup or transition to other systems down the road.   If there is the last feature Lowes could give us before ditching us by the side of the road, IFTTT would be my vote.  It's a realtively easy feature to add.  

Community Manager

Hi guys,

It is human nature to speculate and think about "worst case scenarios" but I would urge you to be patient for a little bit while; Iris isn't going anywhere, wish I could tell you more right now but as they say, stay tuned. 

-Mike

Rookie

Makes sense, Lowes clearly was never really committed to this product. The product had tremendous potential, it was ahead of it's time, but without either the commitment or competency to properly support and advance it they squandered the big lead they had in this market.

Tinkerer

I have said from the time they changed the logo that this was happening eventually. The "by lowes" tagged on to the end looks like it was designed without it and put there after the fact. Honestly, I think the branding has huge marketing potential if it was run by a company that can dedicate 100% to it. I could see this doing well at other retailers. I'm hoping they are holding off on a big update to announce once the acquisition has taken place... something to allow the new owners to give reassurance about what the future of iris looks like.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Mike,

Is there a Target for selling?

Also, is it a 'there's nothing else to share' or 'nothing else I can share' situation at the moment? I'm like many people who have put all purchases on hold, pending how this plays out.
Community Manager

The latter.

As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Hope to have some exciting news to share soon.

Tinkerer

Okay, so I am a bit concerned about this, not terrified, but certainly concerned. I have been piecing my system together as time, and resources permit. Thus far I have the following.

Iris Safe and Secure kit (2nd gen) that came with.

• Hub
  • Keypad
  • 2 second generation contact sensors.
  • 1 second generation motion sensor.

I also have 16 first generation contact sensors, and 6 first generation outdoor cameras.

Now assuming that what MikeS says comes to pass, and nothing changes from the user / consumer perspective, we are all well and good and I move on to the rest of the system, including the Z-wave outlets and light swtiches which are to be integrated as the rooms they are in get remodeled.  No harm, no foul.

But let's assume for a second that Lowe's fails to secure a buyer, or said buyer buys it to **edited** it off, or for whatever reason Iris as we know it becomes unusable. What components of our existing systems can be carried over to what other systems? I understand SmartThings can use the second genration stuff, but what about first gen? What about the cameras?

It's funny, Lowe's is divesting from Iris, but they never really gave it the run it deserved. Not enough components in store, disorganized displays hidden behind Lord only knows what.... Almost seemed like they set it up to fail.

Oddly enough, I only go to Lowe's to get things I can't at Home Depot. Mostly due to cost. Iris was one of those things. The other is / was good qualiity DWV PVC fittings. 

Advanced Member

@BigHoss wrote:

But let's assume for a second that Lowe's fails to secure a buyer, or said buyer buys it to **edited** it off, or for whatever reason Iris as we know it becomes unusable. What components of our existing systems can be carried over to what other systems? I understand SmartThings can use the second genration stuff, but what about first gen? What about the cameras?. 

These guys are working on a solution that includes first gen devices.

https://www.systronicsrf.com/

Not sure if their solution will include anything to do with the cameras or not, but Blue Iris is a much better option anyway.

http://blueirissoftware.com

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The cameras are the worse part of my system anyway. Once I switched to AT&T fiber I couldn't get half of them to work any longer. 

Tinkerer

Please explain what you mean. I don't understand how your ISP, unless they are blocking specific ports, could impact the ability of your cameras to work, and even then it should be internal to YOUR network, not theirs... Unless you are using an ISP provided modem / router which I would never do... Everyone I know that has that setup has had nothing but trouble.

@awraynor wrote:

The cameras are the worse part of my system anyway. Once I switched to AT&T fiber I couldn't get half of them to work any longer.