cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Tinkerer

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Sadly, the community manager (I.E. forum moderator) can only forward what he or she is told. 

If Lowes decides to shaft customers on their now rendered obsolete hardware, they will be biting their own butts. A sure fire way to lose customers, and gain some loud negative publicity.

Frequent Contributor

You do know he was probably told to say that...

The reality is that MikeS will be out of a job soon, and regardless of what you feel about Lowe's or Iris right now, that is an outcome that he had little control over.

It saddens me to say "I told you so" but I have been predicting this demise for almost three years.  The sad thing is that the reasons for that prediction never changed.  It's as if Lowe's had no clue what they were doing, no direction, and no clue as to where the industry was headed.

Buy hey, at least we got the Santa Tracker!

Tinkerer

so, I too screwed up by clicking that link?

I have several spare v1 devices that I have at home in my Iris Drawer that I would like to still setup..    apparently too late?

Also, will the devices still continue to function until the end of March?

We have a trip planned, pet sitters etc. and rely on this system to look in on and monitor our pets while we are away.

Highlighted
Tinkerer

btw, I had clicked that redemption link before you posted..    so, a little too late.

I have 2 brand new cams I purchased last summer and never installed yet..     (feeling a bit sick about it now)

Community Manager

Man, believe me the team here was extremely surprised when we found out. Unfortunately I don't get to tell Lowe's how to run their company.

I wish it had turned out differetly.

Iris was like a family to me :-(

-Mike

VIP

I can understand the level of frustration in the Iris community.  I like many others will have to spend huge amounts of time to rebuild my system to the point it is currently with Iris.  I have had the pleasure of working with many from the team over the last 7 years and have always found them to be fair and honest about what's going on.

Although I am also frustrated with the results I am very pleased that Lowe's is making us whole on devices that will soon become bricked.  I can only imagine the cost of this redemption program and it is certainly not something they had to do but did so as a continuing commitment to the customer.  Some may remember back in the V2 conversion they provided a similiar program to those that were not completly satisfied with that transition. 

We just need to work together to move forward to the next platform to fill this void.

Frequent Contributor

To say I am dissapointed is an understatement. I finally had this system working they way I wanted and had some big additions scheduled for spring. I do wish Lowe's were giving us more than 2 months to figure this out,  heck we all gave them way more than that in the transition from gen 1 to 2. But at least they are trying to make things right by compensating us for devices. The only sucky part for me is I had probably 35 more gen 1 devices that weren't connected yet since I didn't plan on using them till spring and didn't want to drain the batteries for no reason. It is going to be tough to find a good replacement to Iris, but I feel for all those people that work there. It sucks to know your job is going to be gone and there is nothing you can do. I hope you guys find another job quick, it will suck not to have my house secured but sucks even more to wonder if you can afford your house.

Tinkerer

@wlepse wrote:

To say I am dissapointed is an understatement. I finally had this system working they way I wanted and had some big additions scheduled for spring. I do wish Lowe's were giving us more than 2 months to figure this out,  heck we all gave them way more than that in the transition from gen 1 to 2. But at least they are trying to make things right by compensating us for devices. The only sucky part for me is I had probably 35 more gen 1 devices that weren't connected yet since I didn't plan on using them till spring and didn't want to drain the batteries for no reason. It is going to be tough to find a good replacement to Iris, but I feel for all those people that work there. It sucks to know your job is going to be gone and there is nothing you can do. I hope you guys find another job quick, it will suck not to have my house secured but sucks even more to wonder if you can afford your house.

I had the same issue with the Gen1 devices..

I called them and they helped step me thru the process of accepting the current redemption, then they were able to create a new ticket for me..   advised me to add or pair up the remaining devices.. (I had 12 total) and they will manually come back and offer redemption for those devices..  Tho, I don't know how long that process will take.  I imagine they have a backlog of tickets to work through..   they said their intent was to try to accomidate us as best as they could.. so for that, I am most greatful..   I only wish they could allow us more time for this transition..   it took us years to get this all working..  and only a few months notice before they turn it all off..  

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info...maybe I will give them a call tonight. 

Tinkerer

@wlepse wrote:

Thanks for the info...maybe I will give them a call tonight. 

be prepaird to be on hold a while..   it was a long hold time..    It was difficult, but helps to be polite with them..  they too are Iris users and face the same as we do..   only their jobs are also at stake.    I talked to 2 different reps, they were both very nice and helpful, as best they could be..   they're just as bummed as we are..   (that's for sure)