In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

VIP

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Donald Trump
Tinkerer

@npentell wrote:

Message 6:

Hi Nick – you are not the only company or individual to reach out with a similar offer. 

I can’t comment on whether I agree or disagree with your logic, but there were not a shortage of buyers for Iris.  The decision was made to shut it down.  That decision was final.

We all know this platform was not developed from the ground up by iris. This makes me wonder if there was a legal situation where a portion of the technology they licensed prevented them from selling it at all. My guess is we will understand more when we see all the bits and pieces (and missing pieces) once it is all open sourced.

Frequent Contributor

Luckily for me I had bought a new hub and re connected all my components in the process. I thought the offer I got was very generous considering the age of some. I'm sad  to see Iris go, but I feel Lowes is being very generous and trying to do the right thing here. They have definately kept me as a customer!

Tinkerer

This sounds most likely to be the case to me as well.. it tends to make perfect sense
VIP

I like many others was disappointed with the shutdown news but I feel my redemption offer was fair and it caused me to keep my loyality to Lowe's whenever possible.

I have spoken with a few of the team members and it is my opinion their hands were tied and this all came down from the top and the team fought for us every step of the way.

The really sad part of this will be the Iris team members that may soon be out of a job.  The good news is with the exception of the V1 devices that we have been fairly compensated for there are other great platforms for us to continue with.

Tinkerer

I couldn't agree more the redemption offer definitely goes a long way to maintaining customer goodwill. It is deeply saddening however to see Iris go I have been researching similar platforms and nothing else on the market that I can find is really as feature rich at a fair price point. The closest thing I can find is the ADT smart things set up and that comes at a steep price especially if you are using bring cameras
Frequent Contributor

Iris Compatible Solutions

Hours of researching alternatives, here's what I've come up with in terms of IRIS products compatibility. Anyone have any thoughts or anything I left out? If you reply to this thread, I'll check periodically and update with your research, too. Many thanks. Nothing compares to IRIS, as we're seeing.

IRIS 2-13-19.png

Highlighted
Advanced Member

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

I use SmatThings with IFTTT, all Iris Gen 2 devices (Gen 2 Key Pad and Gen 2 Smart Plug both require community created DTHs), First Alert Smoke and CO (I no longer use these due to them not reporting low battery unless manually tested often but they worked otherwise), All the Schlage and Yale locks Iris supported, the Orbit sprikler controller (requires a community created DTH), and many more devices.

And probably the Rachio and LeakSmart Water Shutoff with community created DTHs, although I don't have these to test with.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

Thanks for the info. Here's an updated sheet.

IRIS V2 2-14-19.png

Tinkerer

After march 31st will the hubs be bricked or will you just shut down the Iris servers? I want to know if the local processing will still work after the servers are down.