cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Vista Cards have shipped.

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Technology-Other-News/Visa-cards-Refund/m-p/7008#M184

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iris Web Portal
Frequent Contributor

Re: Iris Compatible Solutions

FYI...  Hubitat supports the LeakSmart valve.

mcs
Wanderer

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

I hope Lowes understand that they lost a long time customer plus all my friends and family, not just for the home automation space.

Rookie

I just bought the Hubitat Hub to replace my soon-to-be-defunct IRIS hub. It’s a bear to configure and there’s no smart phone app. I’m looking for a different replacement hub that will work with my IRIS devices. Any suggestions...other than Hubitat?

thanks 

Tinkerer

I opted for Smartthings.. it's OK for Home Automation.. the security piece, lack of a reasonable Camera integration seems to be lacking IMO
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

A Hubitat App is in the works. For the mean time I use Habitat Cloud Dashboard. The main reason I went to Hubitat instead of Smartthings is that I could use my V2 keypad without using code. Right now, I am one of a few that are beta testing v1 sensors. Everything seems to be working with them.
Advanced Member

@HLippe wrote:

I just bought the Hubitat Hub to replace my soon-to-be-defunct IRIS hub. It’s a bear to configure and there’s no smart phone app. I’m looking for a different replacement hub that will work with my IRIS devices. Any suggestions...other than Hubitat?

thanks 

I've had a hubitat hub for a year now and haven't done much with it until this weekend because of the setup complexity and lack of an app.  I've been on SmartThings for over a year and a half and had bought the Hubitat after ST had a meldown which took a few days for them to fix on their side to try to get a system that runs mostly local.  This weekend I decided to give it another go since the app is supposedly getting close.

I was able to get Geofencing setup with Life 360 (the app is supposed to have this built in but I couldn't really test much without it as we rely on the Geofencing aspects of SmartThings so much.  I also have an Iris v2 contact sensor and keypad connected and working although I haven't gotten the partial button to change the monitoring status yet.  I added a few remotes and a switch and ran into an issue this morning where when Geofencing saw us all leave it tried to arm but the Iris contact sensor was open so it alerted me but didn't arm and looking at the community I found out I had to turn off the alerting on arming failures to get it to bypass open contacts which it will then supposedly start monitoring once they close and reopen like Iris did.

So far I'm liking it and Rules Machine seems to have close to the capabilities of WebCoRE in ST.  After spending half a day in the interface setting up the apps and devices I've gotten a lot more comfortable with their way of doing things in the interface and while I would still like to see it change to make it easier and not display what appears to be a statistics and logging screen first when you choose an app, I still can find my way around so far.  I'd also like to be able to be notified if a sensor got left open but have it still arm so I'm hoping to find out if that is possible or to see if they can make it possible as they seem pretty responsive on the community.  Hubitats alerting is currently done through a payed app called Pushover which I signed up for a free trial and it works but is supposed to be replaced with their app when that releases so I won't be paying for it once the trial ends.  They don't seem to have any option to call yet, although they have IFTTT integration which I haven't looked at yet so I should be able to get phone calls through that for security alarm alerts like I've done with ST.  It also has Sonos integration which I haven't looked at yet but will eventually since I have Geofencing pause any playing music when everyone leaves with ST currently and it can be used to send audio alerts from Hubitat.  Alexa and Google Home also integrate so I'll be looking at that soon too to see if I can use the Hubitat sensors as triggers in Alexa which is what I currently do for door opening alerts with ST sensors.

I'll be slowly moving things over now and am glad I gave it another try.  Hubitat's community site is full of people willing to help if you can't find the answer your looking for already out there.  If your willing to give Hubitat another try let me know what issues you're having and I'll see if I can help, otherwise ST is the most capable alternative for home automation but not as capable as others for security so it depends on what is most important to you.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk 

Thanks for your post..   I don't have the Hubitat hub, but did join their community over the weekend..

It don't appear that they have a camera option yet either from what I could see..

I'm still cutting my teeth on SmartThings and the device handlers.. tho all of mine so far are private..

I'd had success in adding them..   I haven't setup a GitHub account (for my personal stuff)  or messed with WebCoRE yet..

Is there an advantage to doing all that extra setup??   I'm guessing once I do, I won't have to manually create all these Device Handlers?   Also, can you tip me off on how you used your Google Home/ Alexia to alert to the door sensors?

I haven't looked into that yet..

I bought the v2 hub for battery backup..  (and then saw all the battery melt down issues, so see why the v3 hub no longer offers the battery backup option)  my other option was to add a UPS backup..   but I liked to know when the power goes off at home, so as to be aware about the basement sump pump thing..    So far, I haven't see a way to send a notification of the change over to battery...   (probaby another DH needed I guess?)

The other thing is..   I assume that all the customer DH stuff mostly works with the Classic App..   I've got both on my phone, but understand their TS won't support the classic..   (they actually made me uninstall it the one time I called)

So, I set some stuff up yesterday to arm ST's with the Iris KeyBob..  works great if I monitor it in the Classic App..  the new App don't seem to acknowledge that I set it in the Classic App..   seems some things they sync on, others not so much..

Is there a way to get the new App and the Classic App to work together?

I might opt to look into the Hubitat option..   I'm still working trying to get my Cams back..   I've got them all setup and working with TinyCam on my WiFi.. but need to figure out how best to get remote access..    a  bit leary of port forwarding..  and not sure if I can do that on my AT&T routher yet or not..   I don't really want to stand up my own server...  while cloud is a pain..  (after Iris did this to us)   I still don't like to have to manage all the hardware and storage for the cams..  Iris worked well for what we wanted..   (and 1 Ring Cam to back it up)    I triggered all my indoor motion off the door sensors in the house..    I'm not sure Ring will do that for me just yet..  (I thinkST is working on it tho)

Advanced Member

@DogDaze wrote:

@Terk 

Thanks for your post..   I don't have the Hubitat hub, but did join their community over the weekend..

It don't appear that they have a camera option yet either from what I could see..

I'm still cutting my teeth on SmartThings and the device handlers.. tho all of mine so far are private..

I'd had success in adding them..   I haven't setup a GitHub account (for my personal stuff)  or messed with WebCoRE yet..

Is there an advantage to doing all that extra setup??   I'm guessing once I do, I won't have to manually create all these Device Handlers?   Also, can you tip me off on how you used your Google Home/ Alexia to alert to the door sensors?

I bought the v2 hub for battery backup..  (and then saw all the battery melt down issues, so see why the v3 hub no longer offers the battery backup option)  my other option was to add a UPS backup..   but I liked to know when the power goes off at home, so as to be aware about the basement sump pump thing..    So far, I haven't see a way to send a notification of the change over to battery...   (probaby another DH needed I guess?)

The other thing is..   I assume that all the customer DH stuff mostly works with the Classic App..   I've got both on my phone, but understand their TS won't support the classic..   (they actually made me uninstall it the one time I called)

So, I set some stuff up yesterday to arm ST's with the Iris KeyBob..  works great if I monitor it in the Classic App..  the new App don't seem to acknowledge that I set it in the Classic App..   seems some things they sync on, others not so much..

I might opt to look into the Hubitat option..   I'm still working trying to get my Cams back..   I've got them all setup and working with TinyCam on my WiFi.. but need to figure out how best to get remote access..    a  bit leary of port forwarding..  and not sure if I can do that on my AT&T routher yet or not..   I don't really want to stand up my own server...  while cloud is a pain..  (after Iris did this to us)   I still don't like to have to manage all the hardware and storage for the cams..  Iris worked well for what we wanted..   (and 1 Ring Cam to back it up)    I triggered all my indoor motion off the door sensors in the house..    I'm not sure Ring will do that for me just yet..  (I thinkST is working on it tho)

What DTH have you created?  Most devices should either work natively or have existing community DTH available.  I've only had to create one DTH since there wasn't one available at the time I bought an Original Xiaomi Aqara Smart Wireless Switch (Aqara Button).  I created a SmartApp before I started using CoRE but use CoRE and the Smart Lighting app almost exclusively now.  CoRE or WebCoRE are definately worth learning WebCoRE would be better since you can export and backup your rules but I didn't like the interface as much as CoRE so I've stuck with CoRE.

Within the Alexa app you can Add a Routine and choose your SmartThings sensors as triggers then have an Alexa or multiple speak a custom phrase like "The downstairs door was just opened"

I have never installed the new app since I know many of the custom SmartApps that I use like Neato Connect and Blue Fusion 3 don't work in the new app and for a while opening the new app was ocassionally creating empty locations causing headaches for those that it happened to.

I have some Arlo POE cameras that I originally bought when I moved to SmartThings since they integrated although I never liked the integration limitations so I have kept them seperate and used IFTTT with virtual switch triggers to arm and disarm the cameras motion detection when we arrive/leave.  Those are in the house, outside I have all Dahua POE cameras monitored via a Blue Iris server which is what the Blue Fusion 3 SmartApp is used for.  Mainly I use that smartapp to allow the SmartThings hub to tell BI to change the mode when we arrive/leave since their Geofencing in the BI app didn't work without opening a port through my firewall which I didn't want to do and instead I use Open VPN to access my internal network when I want to open the BI app or Hubitat portal for that matter (since I haven't enabled the external Hubitat Dashboard access either)

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Tinkerer

@Terk wrote:

@DogDaze wrote:

@Terk 

What DTH have you created?  Most devices should either work natively or have existing community DTH available.  I've only had to create one DTH since there wasn't one available at the time I bought an Original Xiaomi Aqara Smart Wireless Switch (Aqara Button).  I created a SmartApp before I started using CoRE but use CoRE and the Smart Lighting app almost exclusively now.  CoRE or WebCoRE are definately worth learning WebCoRE would be better since you can export and backup your rules but I didn't like the interface as much as CoRE so I've stuck with CoRE.

Within the Alexa app you can Add a Routine and choose your SmartThings sensors as triggers then have an Alexa or multiple speak a custom phrase like "The downstairs door was just opened"

I have never installed the new app since I know many of the custom SmartApps that I use like Neato Connect and Blue Fusion 3 don't work in the new app and for a while opening the new app was ocassionally creating empty locations causing headaches for those that it happened to.

I have some Arlo POE cameras that I originally bought when I moved to SmartThings since they integrated although I never liked the integration limitations so I have kept them seperate and used IFTTT with virtual switch triggers to arm and disarm the cameras motion detection when we arrive/leave.  Those are in the house, outside I have all Dahua POE cameras monitored via a Blue Iris server which is what the Blue Fusion 3 SmartApp is used for.  Mainly I use that smartapp to allow the SmartThings hub to tell BI to change the mode when we arrive/leave since their Geofencing in the BI app didn't work without opening a port through my firewall which I didn't want to do and instead I use Open VPN to access my internal network when I want to open the BI app or Hubitat portal for that matter (since I haven't enabled the external Hubitat Dashboard access either)

So far, I've only setup 4 Device Handlers:

Iris Smart Plug  (for Zwave Extender option)
Iris Cams
Utilitech Glass Break Sensor

Iris 4 Button KeyBob

My previously touchy but finally stable on Iris Kwikset 910 Lockset..  kept falling offline, despite being within 10' and in line of sight with the ST Hub..    Iris had helped me solve this by sending me some of the v2 Smart Plugs..   it took forever, but had finally been stable the last year or 2..   so, I didn't expect to have the same disconnect issue with Smart Things..   ultimately, I picked up a new Zwave card (Ebay) the blue one and it solved the problem over this past weekend...   I also paired up 3 of the v2 Smart Plugs..   (the ones I could get to pair up) as Zwave extenders.    Oddly, the ones that paired, paired right away.. the others just wouldn't cooperate...   as long as the lock stays connected I'm OK with it as is.

Thanks for the tips on the Door Sensors and your Alexia..   I have Google Home and could probably configure the same there as well..   never thought about that option.

The Device Handler for the Iris Cams seemed to work, but I had a couple cams that were dropping off and reconnecting.. so, would pick up a different IP address..  I locked those down last night in my router..  so, solved that issue.   but I put TinyCam on my phone in the process and I like that little App..  (still using the freebie for now)

In playing around, I ended up with 1 DH per cam....  but I'm most certain, that's not necessary..  I believe it was the IP address changing that was causing my issues..  so, I'm thinking I'll remove and reconfigure them with just one DH..  easy enough to do when infront of the PC..

As for the SamartThings Apps..   I tend to like both...  but think both are corky..  (so what else is new)   I had been with Iris long enough to get pretty creative with it on the Automation side using the rules set options provided..  it would do all I ever waneted without custom code or hassle setting up.

I'll have to look/see how to get both WebCoRE and Core Setup..     I saw a video on how to do it..  I don't think I'd have ever figured it out without seeing that..   there were a fair amount of steps involved..

Thanks for the info on the Cams..   I was looking at both Ring and Alro cams..  was seeing both positive, but lots of negative reviews on both..  both are a little pricey (IMO)   I hate to trash all the Iris cams (despite that they gave us $$ for them) I finally got the outdoor ones all setup and mounted (wires concealed) etc the way I liked them last fall..   I'm not thrilled about reworking all that..  not to mention the mounting holes in my siding..  (ugh)  if I can somehow figure a way to make these work..   while they had their limitations, they were decent little cams..  especially when they finally added the audio last fall.

I was looking at BlueIris.. but see I'll have to stand up a PC..  but thanks for the info on the App...  (I didn't know they had one)   As for Open VPN..    I assume that's also PC or Linux Based??  or just an App on the phone/router?