Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Tinkerer

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Frequent Contributor

This article makes it seem like Lowe’s will stop selling their Iris products which seems just as bad as ending support for the system entirely. If I wanted to get smart switches for my Iris platform then I could just get the GE switches. But now it seems like if I needed any contact sensors or some of the other Iris supported products not sold by any other brands then I’m out of luck. I guess the question is do I hold out and hope that a buyer comes along that will do a better job of developing the platform or do I jump ship and switch to SmartThings? Hmmm
Frequent Contributor

I will be holding out. I'm hoping someone who is currently emerging into the home automation/security game buys this up and actually develops it. I'm hoping someone like Ring or Nest buys it to expand their offerings. (although both of them typically sell their products at a much higher price point than Iris was.)

I jumped in with Iris a number of years ago because of the potential that I saw and have been very disappointed that Lowe's never truly backed this system. There is no better evidence that Lowe's never really gave a rip about Iris than the fact that there is no mention of Iris anywhere on the Lowe's webpage. Even their own stinkin' Smart Home page (https://www.lowes.com/l/smart-home.html) features Nest, Ring, Alexa, and Google Home before they casually mention "Oh and we have this thing called Iris". Here's to hoping that whoever buys this up is generous towards us and treats us better than Lowe's has!

Rookie

Sorry to see iris go, but smart thing will do the same as iris, the biggest difference is the cost of monitoring. Not looking forward to the replacement cost of all my iris hardware.
Community Manager

@Mccaskillda wrote:
Sorry to see iris go, but smart thing will do the same as iris, the biggest difference is the cost of monitoring. Not looking forward to the replacement cost of all my iris hardware.

The good news is that Iris isn't going anywhere. The business is being sold to a new owner, but as an end user hopefully there will be no change in your experience. The Iris platform will still be there, and your system will still work as it does today.

-Mike

DC
Frequent Contributor

lowes says "they are looking for a buyer", that does not mean they have a buyer, so unless you know for a fact they have one then you should not say that, who is the buyer thegillion?

Frequent Contributor

How much development should we expect now that Lowes wants to sell the platform. I cant imagine they want to put anymore money into something they are trying to get rid of. I'm sure they'll be money to keep it running until a sale, but for ongoing projects?
Frequent Contributor

@Mccaskillda wrote:

When you think about replacement cost, remember that most Iris stuff is not proprietary. Much of it used Zigbee, Zwave, and Wifi, so many devices may be compatible with other similar systems out there. 

Tinkerer

Mike,

Is there already a buyer and they are working on the transition? Also, if there are no buyer in the near future and this process is prolonged, will support be dropped?
Frequent Contributor

Very disappointing.  A major reason I bought into IRIS was to have Lowes as a big reputable company behind it, with better prospects of maintaining a stable system and low pricing in the long run (plus an extra bonus of being able to walk into my local Lowes store to actually touch, buy, and return things).  Now it’s all up in the air.  We all know how these acquisitions go in reality.  Sadly, either way IRIS as we know it has a bleak future.  If it’s acquired by a major competitor, it will phase it out in favor of its own offering.  If it’s acquired by a minor player in the field, they will not have enough resources to continue new product development or maintain low prices.  Very sad, as it is indeed the top offering in terms of features, pricing, and overall appeal in the current market, and Lowes is basically throwing it all away.  After investing my time to install all the sensors and create a stable and working IRIS setup, the real cost for consumers like me is beyond the actual money spent.  It’s the DIY time I have to spend again down the road to adjust to whatever major changes the new owner will throw at us, or convert to another system altogether.  You are really letting us down, Lowes!