Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

Tinkerer

Re: In response to Lowe’s announcement to sell Iris

@MikeS wrote:

Hi guys,

It is human nature to speculate and think about "worst case scenarios" but I would urge you to be patient for a little bit while; Iris isn't going anywhere, wish I could tell you more right now but as they say, stay tuned. 

-Mike

Unfortunately it seems like the iris team is, in fact, planing for that "worst case scenario".... On the living with iris forums there was recently a screen shot shared where someone received a message in the iris app about iris shutting down which presented a link to a non-existant page on the iris website... While that message must have appeared due to a glitch, It is a strong indicator that there is code being added to explain such a shut down of the iris services. 

This is VERY CONCERNING and seems to go directly against the statement made here over a month ago.
It's also concerning that it's been quite a while since any iris employee has posted here.
You would think after such a blunder iris would be engaging in some serious damage control, but I've not seen a single explination.
Untitled.jpg
Is this the proverbial "writing on the wall"?

Frequent Contributor

I registered just to follow this thread....

@smitho I do not think they're planning for a worst case scenario.  I think that scenario is happening now.

Consider this..  Why would a business expend the time and money on software development to implement such a messaging feature, unless that decision has already been made.   It just doesn't make sense to pre-plan that sort of announcement.

It's real folks...

And if you are still on the fence as to whether I am right or not, consider this..  Back in November during Lowe's 3rd quarter earnings call, they announced they were seeking a buyer for Iris.

In about a month it will be time for the 4th quarter earnings call.  I am willing to wage a bet that around the time of this call, they'll announce that no buyer has been found and that they will be terminating the platfrom before the end of the quarter.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Tinkerer

It has proven time and again that Lowe's or their Iris staff had no interest in pleasing its customers. Look at the list of request for the system to work simply as well as the gen 1 system did and it never happened. The long list of request for simple things like a rule builder, group, or... Never happened and now I am pretty sure it never will. I too will never shop at Lowes if they dump Iris and It becomes useless...

What would that mean to us:

Need a new security monitoring provider/system.

Would have to migrate to Samsung smartthings? to retain usability of some of my sensors and devices.

My cameras would have been a worthless investment...

What other things am I missing?

Tinkerer

I'm not an Apple user and I'm certainly not making excuses for Lowe's or the Iris team. I think Lowe's is making a horrible mistake in this regard but I wouldn't be their first. 

As far is the Iris shut down with our sincere apologies screenshot is concerned, I've seen screens like that before on friends iphones  that means the application shut down Unexpectedly i.e. It crashed.

However the continued silence from the Iris team is kind of deafening. A nice friendly "Please stand by, we are working on this" might suffice to at least let us know that they haven't just walked away from the product, and community entirely.

Lowe's should tread very carefully in however they treat any resolution of Iris.

I am sure that the executive ranks in Lowe's is very aware they play second fiddle to the big orange box store that is Home Depot, and their investors are going to be less than happy if executive missteps come at a cost to the bottom line.

Any actions they take that can be seen as mistreating their customers, especially in the modern world of social media, would likely have the opposite effect than what was intended.  Lowe's has never really put the time, effort, or resources needed into Iris which is unfortunate, Leaving the app, services, and customers in a useless lurch after so many have invested so much in their closed ecosystem would likely result in a loss of a sieable DIY focused set of customers.

Iris was the one thing that was truly compelling to get me into a Lowe's store to begin with.  They don't offer much else that I can't already get at a lower price elsewhere. Jilting Iris users certainly wouldn't earn Lowe's as a company any love from those same DIYers...

If however Lowe's handles a sale and handover of Iris properly, insuring our existing investments into their ecosystem is not wasted, and perhaps more aggressively pursues the DIYers that Iris is really aimed at with more appealing products and pricing in their stores, they have a real opportunity to go from the other big box store, to the first thought when you think of home improvment needs... 

I know I like the stores better than the BORG, the layout is far more appealing, and with them now carrying Craftsman tools there are some real appealing reasons to shop more at Lowe's. I would hate to see them make a misstep along the way.

Frequent Contributor

I just looked at the lowes.com site for iris products.  It looks like they have removed them all from the site.  Searching for iris products redirects you to irisbylowes.com.  Adding a product to your cart there is supposed to add it to the lowes.com cart. But that doesn't work either...

Amazon still has some items, and there is always ebay....

Tinkerer

I can't really say I am surprised.  There have been several licensed compatibility statuses that have fallen by the wayside during my two years (as of yesterday) involvement with Iris by Lowes, all post release of the 'second generation'.  First, the disappearance of the Sylvania Osram standard "60w LED bulb, followed by the entire line disappearing.  Then their compatibility with the proprietary Phillips Bridge, a topic I have written several notes about here.  Last summer Halo Smoke Detector support was dropped.

In the past three months, both still available first and second generation devices were drastically deduced in price at my two nearby stores and were not being re-stocked.  With 105 devices, including Iris compatible cams, my $3K+ investment is in the balance.  I really do hope a buyer comes along, but with Simply Safe hammering the wireless home security market, I'm afraid I have my doubts.

Frequent Contributor

they announced it shutdown. so no buyer and we all get screwed on march 30th.

Frequent Contributor

@MikeS wrote:

Hi guys,

It is human nature to speculate and think about "worst case scenarios" but I would urge you to be patient for a little bit while; Iris isn't going anywhere, wish I could tell you more right now but as they say, stay tuned. 

-Mike

Liar.

Rookie

Is there a list somewhere of products that only work with Iris? I want to make sure I get credit for the items that only work with Iris.

Thanks!
Frequent Contributor

Be sure you connect any devices to iris that you want to have connected BEFORE you follow the link to the redemption page.

It goes through the devices you have that are eligible for redemption, and kicks out a number for how much they'll reimburse you to help ease the cost of transitioning.

actually really good prices, especially if you bought most of it on clearance. And it may have a predetermined cutoff date for when it will give a redemption for the device. I just know I had one heater not connected when I went through the site, then I backed out and connected the device, logged out and back in and it didn't add any redemption for the second heater. 

ALSO, just got off the phone with samsung smartthings ADT and the ADT hub will also not work with any of the iris motion or contact sensors in a coming update. They are kicking it off of that service, and while the devices may connect to the service, they won't have any functionality. That's what the telephone representative told me they had just learned about today as well

About to call the line they gave me for the non ADT version of the samsung smartthings hub. will report back what I learn.